Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Utah identifies 2 allegedly behind immigrant list

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah officials said Friday they have identified at least two state workers who apparently accessed confidential documents to create a list of 1,300 purported illegal immigrants that was mailed to law enforcement officials and the news media.

Gov. Gary Herbert said the employees work for the Department of Workforce Services, which administers food stamp programs and other public benefits. The employees have been placed on administrative leave.
"It's a very small group. The people we've identified certainly have some strong political opinions and seem to be frustrated with some of the issues around immigration," said Kristen Cox, executive director for the department. "I think it's an immense hypocrisy to talk about taking people to task for being illegal and doing so by breaking the law."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...udpVgD9H0AO2G0
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

[QUOTE=chrisfromusa;8496751]I totally overlooked that my opinion's changed now. I consider myself lucky I have my US passport but to people that don't? I don't see how this can be enforced without enacting the REAL ID Act that many states have passed nullification laws opposing it, Arizona being one that is considering passing such legislation (according to wikipedia). And I'm totally opposed to REAL ID[/QUOTE

What I don't understand this is already a federal law that the president refuses to enforce. Before DH became a citizen he had to carry his green card with him, he is British by birth and now holds dual citizenship.He now carries his DL I am American by birth but still carry my DL. If I did not have this I would carry a state ID card so what is the big deal!!!. There is a lot of things happening via the Mexican border............So ............I think it is not because someone is so worried about Mexicans taking USA jobs.............Watch the news!!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

The more onerous parts of SB 1070 failed at the first hurdle today. Now it's time for the Federal Government to offer up a CIR bill:

Judge blocks key sections of AZ immigration law

A federal judge on Wednesday blocked key parts of Arizona’s controversial immigration law, one day prior to law’s start date. Included in the sections to be blocked are powers given to police which opponents of the bill state would target persons of Hispanic heritage regardless of their legal status.

The ruling is meant to last until a final ruling is made on the United States v. Arizona case, which will determine the final fate of the law.

http://www.examiner.com/x-11326-Libe...mmigration-law
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham

What I don't understand this is already a federal law that the president refuses to enforce. Before DH became a citizen he had to carry his green card with him, he is British by birth and now holds dual citizenship.He now carries his DL I am American by birth but still carry my DL. If I did not have this I would carry a state ID card so what is the big deal!!!. There is a lot of things happening via the Mexican border............So ............I think it is not because someone is so worried about Mexicans taking USA jobs.............Watch the news!!!!!
Your drivers license or state ID don't mention citizenship though.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was the BBC that has the first report that I saw.

It does show how screwed up the Feds are, not probably much of a surprise.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Your drivers license or state ID don't mention citizenship though.
In Arizona a driving license is issued only upon proof of citizenship or legal immigration status. In the latter case, if legal immigration status is for a set period then the license is valid for that period only.

Under SB1070 an AZ DL is proof of legal status.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
In Arizona a driving license is issued only upon proof of citizenship or legal immigration status. In the latter case, if legal immigration status is for a set period then the license is valid for that period only.

That's now.

However, in the not to distant past, it was done differently. This is coupled with the long validity of AZ licenses, and to some extent by the previous extensive fraud uncovered at AZ DMV, means a valid AZ license is not really a very good proof of citizenship.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It does show how screwed up the Feds are, not probably much of a surprise.

In what way?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:02 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

What about people from other states? Unless there is a national standard it's irrelevant what an AZ DL is or is not. On top of that what about the people who don't drive (and don't have a state ID)?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In what way?
Every?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:10 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
Every?
Are the federal government any worse than state and local government?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting ... I recently traded in my CA DL for an AZ DL. I simply handed over my CA DL and got the AZ DL (plus dollars and pictures). It seems odd they would grill their own native applicants but give me a free pass ... especially CA which is regarded as the commie state that loves illegals
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:58 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Interesting ... I recently traded in my CA DL for an AZ DL. I simply handed over my CA DL and got the AZ DL (plus dollars and pictures). It seems odd they would grill their own native applicants but give me a free pass ... especially CA which is regarded as the commie state that loves illegals
But Im pretty sure that would because CA doesnt give out DL's to illegals...?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
But Im pretty sure that would because CA doesnt give out DL's to illegals...?
Whereas a DL from NM is treated differently as they do issue DL's to illegals.

A NM DL is not acceptable proof of legal status under SB 1070.

Interesting link here on the differences between AZ and NM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10797964

Last edited by Zonie; Jul 29th 2010 at 2:41 pm. Reason: Added link.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Whereas a DL from NM is treated differently as they do issue DL's to illegals.

A NM DL is not acceptable proof of legal status under SB 1070.
Congressional Approval was 19% last time I saw.

Has the current situation made it go up, or down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.