Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:46 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Arizona illegal immigration enforcement law

this may solve many problems....
still, probably more appropriate in the immigration and marriage based visa forums!!...Cha think?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 4:27 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A I
That's an excellent point. I would argue that if it was up to me, we would have clear regulation on how that car was supposed to behave to be "Safe enough" so that once that requirement is met, you are free of liability.
Steerpike did, indeed, make an excellent point but, sadly, you've failed to successfully address it.

We already know how the regulation game is played, because we see it every day. It's a three step process:

1: Somebody gets outraged and regulation is proposed.
2: The big corporations in the industry under scrutiny publicly feign outrage while, at the same time, working behind the scenes to buy off regulators and shape the new regs.
3: New regulations are imposed which do naff all to address the perceived problem but do have the happy side effect of making it prohibitively expensive for anybody new to enter the market in competition with the corporations mentioned in 2.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

I have a perfect solution to generating more income: all churches should lose their tax-exempt status and begin paying taxes just like any other corporate entity.
Yeay - I'm not the only one!

That, and, legalize drugs (and therefore, open the door to taxing them).
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:44 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Steerpike did, indeed, make an excellent point but, sadly, you've failed to successfully address it.

We already know how the regulation game is played, because we see it every day. It's a three step process:

1: Somebody gets outraged and regulation is proposed.
2: The big corporations in the industry under scrutiny publicly feign outrage while, at the same time, working behind the scenes to buy off regulators and shape the new regs.
3: New regulations are imposed which do naff all to address the perceived problem but do have the happy side effect of making it prohibitively expensive for anybody new to enter the market in competition with the corporations mentioned in 2.
That step #2 sounds horribly pessimistic. Maybe Step 2.5, Jail and remove from office those accepting to be bought ? In Law and Regulation process, there are two steps, make the law and enforce the law...Seems that it's awfully hard to get both right. (IN part, I agree, due to your stated #2 - HUman beings are Altruistic and do what is best for them. Without accountability, the representatives don't see it in their best interest to regulate against their big contributors...I see that..). But do you stop trying ? I don't know what the option is.

I think Campaign reform is due...I like to be able to spend my money on whatever message I wanted to provide, because it is currently legal, and I have a very broad right to Free Speech. I think campaign reform starts with a Constitutional Amendment excluding ads naming or depicting a candidate for office within 6 months election (Or some better wording that includes some political advertising) so that the Campaign Finance reform regulation can survive challenges to it from the first amendment.

We have a Voluntary Government Finance Campaign for President to cap expenses in exchange for the money you'll spend. It's been alive for many years, but it is only Voluntary. Obama promised to take it during campaign but then changed his mind. He's the only candidate in recent history to not take the public funds when offered to him, because he knew he would be able to raise MUCH more.(I don't blame him. He did nothing illegal by opting out, and instead did what was in his best interest.)

The problem is that current laws favor the incumbents in the House and Senate...Same body that ought to write the law to fix the problem. Who the hell will write himself out of a job ?

Also, you say I failed to address his point (Which I interpret to say, who to jail when a collective decision by a large corporation causes a result that would cause a single person making the same decision to go to Jail ?)
I think I did, as best I could. You would address it the same as if it was a small group of people. Find the guilty ones and prosecute them. Same as a small group, if you can't get them convicted because their individual actions don't amount to the same crime, but their action as a whole does, then you must change the law if you want a different result. Maybe charge the group as a whole, and make each one serve part of the sentence. How else could you possibly get what you want ? (I ask because I honestly can't think of another way)

Last edited by A I; Jun 9th 2010 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
That step #2 sounds horribly pessimistic. Maybe Step 2.5, Jail and remove from office those accepting to be bought ? In Law and Regulation process, there are two steps, make the law and enforce the law...Seems that it's awfully hard to get both right. (IN part, I agree, due to your stated #2 - HUman beings are Altruistic and do what is best for them. Without accountability, the representatives don't see it in their best interest to regulate against their big contributors...I see that..). But do you stop trying ? I don't know what the option is.

I think Campaign reform is due...I like to be able to spend my money on whatever message I wanted to provide, because it is currently legal, and I have a very broad right to Free Speech. I think campaign reform starts with a Constitutional Amendment excluding ads naming or depicting a candidate for office within 6 months election (Or some better wording that includes some political advertising) so that the Campaign Finance reform regulation can survive challenges to it from the first amendment.

We have a Voluntary Government Finance Campaign for President to cap expenses in exchange for the money you'll spend. It's been alive for many years, but it is only Voluntary. Obama promised to take it during campaign but then changed his mind. He's the only candidate in recent history to not take the public funds when offered to him, because he knew he would be able to raise MUCH more.(I don't blame him. He did nothing illegal by opting out, and instead did what was in his best interest.)

The problem is that current laws favor the incumbents in the House and Senate...Same body that ought to write the law to fix the problem. Who the hell will write himself out of a job ?

Also, you say I failed to address his point (Which I interpret to say, who to jail when a collective decision by a large corporation causes a result that would cause a single person making the same decision to go to Jail ?)
I think I did, as best I could. You would address it the same as if it was a small group of people. Find the guilty ones and prosecute them. Same as a small group, if you can't get them convicted because their individual actions don't amount to the same crime, but their action as a whole does, then you must change the law if you want a different result. Maybe charge the group as a whole, and make each one serve part of the sentence. How else could you possibly get what you want ? (I ask because I honestly can't think of another way)
altruism is selflessness, not selfishness.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Yeay - I'm not the only one!
There are a few of us about.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:18 pm
A I

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs
altruism is selflessness, not selfishness.
That's a glaring mistake I made, thank you for pointing it out. I should have stated NOT altruistic. or Selfish, as you pointed out.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
That's a glaring mistake I made, thank you for pointing it out. I should have stated NOT altruistic. or Selfish, as you pointed out.
No biggie, I was just having a problem trying to picture this one as a "for the greater good" scenario,
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
I guess my main point is Don't let anybody hide behind a corporate shield./ Don't be fooled. There's a specific human being behind every crap decision corporations make. This person has a name, and a SSN. and should be punished when crimes occur. Some human being is ultimately responsible. that human being should pay.
You miss the point of why corporations exist in the first place -- to limit liability. And no, nobody is going to be banning corporations anytime soon.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:19 pm
A I

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You miss the point of why corporations exist in the first place -- to limit liability. And no, nobody is going to be banning corporations anytime soon.
I understand this point perfectly well.
Only the assets of the Corporation maybe used to pay it's debts. and not the other assets of investors. (For example, if you hold BP stock, the worst that will happen to you with the spill is that your stock becomes worthless and you loose your investment. Nobody will try to take your house away to pay for the spill clean up because of your BP stock)

Most Corporation earnings in the US, (excepting those from S-Corps -less than 20 investors and so choosing to be designated ) get taxed twice for this "benefit" of corporation limited liability. Once when the Corporation Earns the money, and again when it is distributed to the investors.

I'm not understanding where you think I'm missing the argument. Maybe I got lost somewhere in the last few pages.

The original argument I was addressing was the one when someone stated that a corporation was getting away with crimes because they were a corporation and not a person. (and my answer was Jail the guy that messed up. Th Guy that blew it is the criminal, not the corp.)

I guess my point was also that Limited Liability is not related to Criminal Activity, only to debts and promises made to others by the "corporation", as it related to recourse to the investors.

You could also say that an individual is by definition of "Limited Liability", since you can only get from the individual what he has. You can't go to his family or friends to extract what he might still owe you after you took it all from him. Only he can pay. and his liability is limited to his assets. He can claim Bankruptcy and even some of his assets will be unavailable to pay you.

Yes/ No ?
What am I missing ?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:22 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
What am I missing ?
You're missing that mistakes and poor judgment aren't considered to be reasons to pierce the veil. Liability to individuals is limited to fraud and willful misinterpretation. Fraud is difficult to prove and almost impossible to establish, and it is next to impossible to pierce the veil.

If you want to change that, then you may as well eliminate corporations entirely, as this liability protection is their raison d'etre. We have corporations for a reason, namely to encourage creativity and risktaking, and that isn't going to change any time soon.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:31 pm
A I

You're missing that mistakes and poor judgment aren't considered to be reasons to pierce the veil. Liability to individuals is limited to fraud and willful misinterpretation.
As well as any criminal activity.

Is there a particular situation in which you currently wish someone could be prosecuted for which you think their derriere is saved because of a corporate veil ? Maybe that will help me fully grasp what you are thinking that I'm not getting.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You're missing that mistakes and poor judgment aren't considered to be reasons to pierce the veil. Liability to individuals is limited to fraud and willful misinterpretation. Fraud is difficult to prove and almost impossible to establish, and it is next to impossible to pierce the veil.

If you want to change that, then you may as well eliminate corporations entirely, as this liability protection is their raison d'etre. We have corporations for a reason, namely to encourage creativity and risktaking, and that isn't going to change any time soon.
It doesn't always 'limit' things though. In the case of the BP example, let's say we went after the individual responsible - let's say it's some lazy worker-bee who failed to follow some well-documented procedure. The most anyone would get out of pursuing the individual would be to throw this guy in jail, and take what meager assets he may have. That is not much of a deterrent, and has no compensatory element. Conversely, we go after BP the corporation and maybe sue them for negligence (or whatever the term is). I see billions of Dollars in penalties, restitution, etc coming out of this, and every oil-drilling corporation implementing far more safeguards in the future. I'm not always in favor of this but in this case, I think it would be highly appropriate.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
How about because, in my simple opinion, the company is buying votes from my senator. It is my firm belief that the only money anyone in Congress should be able to accept is their paycheck and that's it. As far as paying for their campaign, perhaps the gov't should give every candidate a specific amount of money and that's all they get to campaign on. That way Congressmen spend less time on fundraising and more time on the actual needs of their constituents.

I have a perfect solution to generating more income: all churches should lose their tax-exempt status and begin paying taxes just like any other corporate entity.
I like the way you think.

I agree with both points.

Firstly, if I choose to contribute to a particular political cause, then that's one thing.

I don't expect that the money I pay for my internet connection, for instance, be used to support parties, beliefs or Bills that I may not support or be in MY best interests. The telecoms and cable companies, as an example, have stifled competition for years on the back of their lobbying and donations.

It is not said that "America has the best politics money can buy" for nothing.

Many so called Religious Organizations might as well be Corporations in disguise, set up as money making machines.

The whole area needs a thorough overhaul.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:08 am
A I

Originally Posted by sangiano
...The telecoms and cable companies, as an example, have stifled competition for years on the back of their lobbying and donations.
And whose fault is that ?

The companies will pay anybody off..That is expected and makes sense to me..in business to make money...invest in lobbying, get the regulation you want....

My question is Why are the lawmakers taking the money and putting corporate interest ahead of constituent interest !?

It seems to me it's the legislators that ought to be in trouble here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.