Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New Airline Merger Makes it the Worlds Largest.

New Airline Merger Makes it the Worlds Largest.

Old May 12th 2010, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Airline Merger Makes it the Worlds Largest.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
This is what I am saying - you want to protect the US market from competition because you think American airlines will lose more from competition in the US than they will gain from being able to compete in Europe.

Why would protectionism work out better in the airline sector than it has in cars, sugar or agriculture?
I'd not count on any foreign airline offering better domestic service, Americans wont pay more for more service, plus no need to have foreign airlines flying domestic routes, we have more then enough competition as is.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Nice one! I just booked first class AA flights to the west coast and back for Mrs tonrob and I all with miles I got for (almost) free through a credit card deal. There's a few of them about right now (including tasty sign-up bonuses)!
On the flight from PHX-SFO saturday they were handing out applications for a USAirways card; something like 30,000 free miles for signing up. I think I'm going to do it! I'm flying that route at least once a month so I may as well! My g/f comes along on maybe 50% of the trips so I'm hoping to cover the costs of some of those.
Old May 12th 2010, 7:07 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd not count on any foreign airline offering better domestic service, Americans wont pay more for more service, plus no need to have foreign airlines flying domestic routes, we have more then enough competition as is.
If American consumers won't pay more (and, you seem to be assuming, EU airlines are more expensive), and if there's already enough competition domestically that more won't make a difference...then US airlines have nothing to worry about because any European airline trying to compete in the US will face immediate failure. And in exchange for no loss on the domestic market, they'll get access to the European market - if they want it.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
On the flight from PHX-SFO saturday they were handing out applications for a USAirways card; something like 30,000 free miles for signing up. I think I'm going to do it! I'm flying that route at least once a month so I may as well! My g/f comes along on maybe 50% of the trips so I'm hoping to cover the costs of some of those.
There's Continental (30,000), AA (35,000) and United (50,000) too. There's also the Amex Starwood that you can ultimately convert to AA points which will net you 50,000.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:24 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
There's Continental (30,000), AA (35,000) and United (50,000) too. There's also the Amex Starwood that you can ultimately convert to AA points which will net you 50,000.
You can get 25,000 Continental Miles just by opening a Chase checking account too....

linky

With CO, you need 55K miles plus tax for a round trip to Europe.
Did a quick search for later in the year and the taxes for FWA-ORD-LHR-EDI was $177 but for FWA-ORD-WAW(Warsaw)-PRG(Prague) was only $77
Old May 13th 2010, 1:40 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

From Newark/JFK area it's 100,000 on Continental to the UK unless I do a bunch of stopovers and which would make the flights 13-20 hours and that's with no delays or connection problems on the days I just researched. Normally the flight from Newark is about 6 1/2 hours. Hubby's parents just told us they would pay for half of the price of his flight which helps and I should have 100, 000 soon so I can book mine. I'm still hoping they go down at leats $100 in the next few months. At least the dolar has gotten stronger!
Old May 13th 2010, 1:44 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
From Newark/JFK area it's 100,000 on Continental to the UK unless I do a bunch of stopovers and which would make the flights 13-20 hours and that's with no delays or connection problems on the days I just researched. Normally the flight from Newark is about 6 1/2 hours. Hubby's parents just told us they would pay for half of the price of his flight which helps and I should have 100, 000 soon so I can book mine. I'm still hoping they go down at leats $100 in the next few months. At least the dolar has gotten stronger!
I would sooner make one extra flight each way to save half the miles.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:01 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If it was just one stopover I might consider it but they are mostly all two stopovers. One of the flights goes to Philadelphia then Canada then Edinburgh which makes no sense to me! I already have a Continental Card so I can't open one to get extra miles. I do use e rewards and emiles to take surveys to get extra airline miles as well. I also just bought mom a gift basket for Mother's Day using1-800 flowers through Continentals online shopping and got 3000 miles since they were giving out 50 miles per dollar if you used your Continental credit card. These little things can add up! . Only three years ago I took a flight to London in January on Delta from JFK to Heathrow for $270! How times have changed!
Old May 13th 2010, 2:12 am
Banned

Ozone Park will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just bought my mom's ticket, nonstop LHR->SFO roundtrip in Oct, for $633 + taxes of $128 for a total of $761.

Not $500, but not far off!
Just paid $965.20 +taxes (LAX to LHR) for later this month