Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which network and tariff options please?

Which network and tariff options please?

Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which network and tariff options please?

an alternative....

get a google number once you're here.
get google voice on your android (!!) phone
and use a mobile hotspot like this one
https://yourkarma.com/?gclid=CN2W5NawnMYCFYJEaQodbYgAXA

it costs $150 to buy the hotspot device but after that it's very cheap for the data. ($14 per gb and it lasts forever.)

AFAIK you can't use the hotspot outside of the usa but you can use google voice on your phone everywhere there is wifi.

All the price comparisons they do are over 2 years use and it does seem to work out considerably cheaper. I'm still thinking about this one. You can also port your existing phone number (us one) to google and go this way.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
Moving to LA and need either At&T or TMobile.
Any idea which is better in LA?

Secondly, we'll be taking SIM-Free/unlocked iPhones and I need to understand if these networks in the USA offer SIM-Only plans like we have in the UK?

The type of plan is where I'd pay $15 a month for data, texts, calls and no phone subsidiary?
Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
I'll predominantly be within 10 miles of Century City so will check coverage
AT&T are
This has been splashed all over all the headlines this week:
AT&T just got hit with a $100 million fine after slowing down its ‘unlimited’ data - The Washington Post

but.....

T-Mobil are:
Like you, I use my own device - no contract.

I live 4 miles from Century City, up in the hills, where many complain of horrid coverage.
House has real stucco interior walls (meaning metal lathe within them - very bad for signal penetration).

Despite those factors - TMobil 4G/LTE coverage has been great for me on my iPhone 5S.

Here's a link showing the different iPhone Sim card sizes. Whether Apple has been consistent with UK iPhones would be worth checking. Suggest you confirm now in UK - which size Sim is required. Then compare with the US chart - so you don't end up having TMobil send you the wrong one once you get here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202645

There's a TMobil store in Beverly Hills - just 5 minute drive from Century City - (marked 'A' on map) Free BH parking structure across street:

https://www.google.com/search?q=t-mo...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

T-mobile along with Sprint are notoriously bad with their coverage. It's why they are cheap. That said, in the major cities the coverage is excellent so if you're living in LA, you'll be fine. I would imagine you would have to travel some considerable distance to run into coverage problems. In my neck of the woods, coverage is awful. It's fine in the towns, but as soon as your out, there is no signal. However, when there is coverage, the LTE speeds are superb. My speeds were considerably faster than with Verizon. The poor coverage however meant I couldn't take out a contract with them.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
in the major cities the coverage is excellent so if you're living in LA, you'll be fine. In my neck of the woods, coverage is awful. It's fine in the towns, but as soon as your out, there is no signal.
....alas...The penalty you pay for living in 'Paradise'
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

DesertDubliner Reloaded is an unknown quantity at this point

So you reckon I can bring my SIM-free iPhone 5S (bought in the Middle East and used ok in Ireland) and just get a SIM from T-Mobile?

What about BB Z30?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DesertDubliner Reloaded
So you reckon I can bring my SIM-free iPhone 5S (bought in the Middle East and used ok in Ireland) and just get a SIM from T-Mobile?
Would think that once you install new nano sim card - it would work same as in Ireland... ie "ok"

Very useful info:

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/88236
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertDubliner Reloaded

What about BB Z30?
Yes - your sim card will be fine if the phone is unlocked.