Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which network and tariff options please?

Which network and tariff options please?

Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which network and tariff options please?

Moving to LA and need either At&T or TMobile.
Any idea which is better in LA?

Secondly, we'll be taking SIM-Free/unlocked iPhones and I need to understand if these networks in the USA offer SIM-Only plans like we have in the UK?

The type of plan is where I'd pay $15 a month for data, texts, calls and no phone subsidiary?

There's no way I want to take out a 24m contract paying for a new iPhone...I may as well continue to use Three's Home Abroad service and get my brother to top it up each month for me!

Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:45 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which network and tariff options please?

AT&T is a bigger network. T-Mobile is generally in the cities and not so much the suburbs and rural areas. It's really going to depend on where you live EXACTLY as the cities are so spread out here that reception can vary tremendously.

Take a look at the Data Sim Wiki as it outlines the various plans available on a pay as you go basis.

United States - Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I used H20 wireless when I got here - bought a sim from Best Buy, topped it up and I was all set. I did have to jail break my phone to get the sim to work, even though O2 claimed to have unlocked it.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
The type of plan is where I'd pay $15 a month for data, texts, calls and no phone subsidiary?
Hahaha, you're going to enjoy it here! (Sorry, US cell phone plans are very old fashioned and the idea of just showing up with an unlocked phone that only needs a SIM is still pretty alien here.)

I'm with Ultra Mobile, which piggybacks on the T-Mobile network. The basic numbers line up with what several others are offering BUT for me they win hands-down on international calls/texts.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

I dont need it for international calls and texts, it will be for US use

I'll predominantly be within 10 miles of Century City so will check coverage

Thanks for the wiki link - I'd have hoped At&T would be cheaper than it is. I pay £20 a month for unlimited texts, calls and 3GB 4G with O2....the equivalent is $60!!!
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'll predominantly be within 10 miles of Century City so will check coverage

Thanks for the wiki link - I'd have hoped At&T would be cheaper than it is. I pay £20 a month for unlimited texts, calls and 3GB 4G with O2....the equivalent is $60!!!
Cell phone plans will always likely be more expensive in the US with 5 companies (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Metro-PCS) each having the expense of their own cell towers and covering a country the size of the US.

AT&T tried to buy T-Mobile but was stopped by regulators and Sprint tried to buy T-Mobile and the deal fell apart.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Cell phone service here is expensive - my UK mobile deal with EE is £14 a month and includes roaming in lots of countries including the USA!

I went for the T-Mobile family plan that gives you two lines with unlimited LTE data for $100 a month, so $50 per phone. I would have preferred to go with AT&T but T-Mobile do an unlimited international calls add-on including calls to UK mobiles for $15 per month and AT&T don't have an equivalent

So far I've been pretty impressed with T-Mobile though, their coverage around here (Jersey City, NJ) is great and I've seen over 80Mbps down on LTE in places. If you have a recent iPhone they support WiFi Calling too which means you don't need to worry about coverage at home.

They also give you unlimited data and text in about 120 countries worldwide which could be handy.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using T-mobile throughout Southern California and metro Phoenix without any issues.

Edit: to add to this comment I got a sim and put it into my unlocked Nexus 5 from the UK. No problems at all.

Last edited by username.exe; Jun 19th 2015 at 4:14 pm. Reason: Additional comment
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Lol, my data,(Limited to 10 GB) text and phones are $200+ a month.
Sharing the plan between 3 phones.

It's a little different. About 10 years in the past.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Joy...deffo don't need the phones so hoping I can get it cheap
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Joy...deffo don't need the phones so hoping I can get it cheap
I should have clarified, I'm paying $50 per line SIM only - I always buy my phones outright.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by excpomea
Lol, my data,(Limited to 10 GB) text and phones are $200+ a month.
Sharing the plan between 3 phones.

It's a little different. About 10 years in the past.
Ugh, so not looking forward to that size of a bill.
Data seems to be the biggest chunk of the bill.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

As much as there are many wonders of modern technology, I still find I use a phone internationally far more than Skype/Facetime/etc. Unless you are internet-only communicating already, you might want to go prepaid when you first arrive, so you can wait and see what you actually use.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin mobile is worth a look - you have to pay for the handsets, but i get unlimited talk,text and data (albeit not the fastest) for $30 a month.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

and the good thing about t-mobile is you can get a service with no ssn and no credit history. You need their pay-in-advance service.
Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.