Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Old Mar 5th 2018, 11:19 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Why Davenport, Nelly?
What kind of disability benefits do you currently get?
Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:42 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister took her children to Disney World and stayed in Davenport in one of those "straight out of the box" homes that looked the same as every other home in sight. It was mostly holidaymakers, particularly from the U.K. Not a real neighborhood with community, etc. I imagine it would be lonely to be a child living in such a complex with no possibility of making friends because everyone else is just there for 2 weeks or so.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the picture I saw looked very cookie cutter. Seems like Nelly posted then got scared off but happens sometimes. I hope that's not the case. I hope we balance giving good honest advice without appearing to scoff or deride.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Yeah, the picture I saw looked very cookie cutter. Seems like Nelly posted then got scared off but happens sometimes. I hope that's not the case. I hope we balance giving good honest advice without appearing to scoff or deride.
Nelly joined, posted and never came back.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I fear that having us all tell the same story is sometimes perceived as ganging up, or bullying, not that were all saying the same thing because it is the truth!
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I don't understand the negativity that exists on here towards Florida and particularly the Orlando area.

There are some beautiful lakeside developments around, property prices are very low and despite the common misconception there is also an abundance of very good places to eat and drink.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jammiie
To be fair, I don't understand the negativity that exists on here towards Florida and particularly the Orlando area.

There are some beautiful lakeside developments around, property prices are very low and despite the common misconception there is also an abundance of very good places to eat and drink.
And invest and work.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I don't understand the negativity that exists on here towards Florida and particularly the Orlando area. ....
Because it's the equivalent of American tourists visiting the UK and deciding that they want to live near Buckingham Palace.

Anyone who decides where to live based on a location sample size of "1" deserves to be derided as an idiot!
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Because it's the equivalent of American tourists visiting the UK and deciding that they want to live near Buckingham Palace.

Anyone who decides where to live based on a location sample size of "1" deserves to be derided as an idiot!
But deriding someone for wanting to live somewhere that they've visited a few times without doing any further research is completely different from the criticism of the area in general.

The first part I agree with, but I think that Orlando is a great place to live.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 5:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The first part I agree with, but I think that Orlando is a great place to live.
Until it resembles a swamp again - or a part of the Atlantic Ocean/Gulf of Mexico.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:06 pm
Peace onion

Not mocking Orlando per se. Have friends that live there and I always enjoy a trip there.
But basically agree with what Pulaski said. And also it might look like we're ganging up to newcomers, and that we're cynical and jaded. But the reality is the reality. Sometimes you want to roll your eyes. I mean, OP posted had a query about "benifets". It's just a different mindset. People will have a bit of an awakening. Weikiva Springs!

Last edited by Octang Frye; Mar 6th 2018 at 6:16 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Horses for courses.

I personally think I would enjoy living in Florida, it's something we may try, probably once our eldest finishes High School, so we are talking 9 more years, or maybe on the transition from Middle to High. I do appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea though - just like some people like quiet and some love the hustle and bustle of City. Some people like the colder climate, whereas I love the heat and humidity! I know Georgia is still not quite Florida, and I have only been here for 18 months, but I really did enjoy wearing shorts for 7 months of last year :-) I couldn't abide living in Canada for the single reason of the weather, no matter how great a country it may be. I didn't even really like anything North of Birmingham in the UK to be honest.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

I personally couldn't imagine living in any other State in the US. I've visited a few and have family up in the north west. 15 years here in Florida and still kind of enjoy my 'shorts & flip flops almost year round existence! I certainly think the central Florida area is changing though and not for the better, with so much more traffic and people moving in, especially after 'Irma' wrecked Puerto Rico.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Nelly1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my son has adhd and I have had heart attack so we both in meds so didn't know how high insurance and prescription would be not fussed about benifet as such.
We intend to come over on work through employment so green card
Old Mar 7th 2018, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Definitely talk to your Employer about the benefits they will be proving and the cost and scope of their Health Insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.