Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Old Mar 4th 2018, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Nelly1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Hi I’m very interested in buying a house in davenport Florida but very confused on how we need to do it.
I need some information on health insurance car insurance all the bills people pay and what sort of money would we need to earn yearly to live well we have 4 children 6 8 11 16 .
Do they have any disability benifets
Old Mar 4th 2018, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nelly1975's questions on buying a house in the USA

Buying the house is the relatively easy part. What is your longer-term plan? Are you wishing to live in the USA, or just have a house here to use when you visit?

Rene
Old Mar 4th 2018, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelly1975
Hi I’m very interested in buying a house in davenport Florida but very confused on how we need to do it.
I need some information on health insurance car insurance all the bills people pay and what sort of money would we need to earn yearly to live well we have 4 children 6 8 11 16 .
Sounds like you are looking into moving to Florida. If so...first things first...are either you or your wife US citizens? If not what visa will you/your company be applying for?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 12:52 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but only for citizens. And even then only in certain cases. Are any of you US citizens?

I assume you are asking the question because one or more of you is in need of regular medical treatment in the U.K. So I thought it prudent to let you know that the USA is probably the most expensive place on earth when it comes to medical treatment - that includes prescriptions, hopspital visits, outpatients, physiotherapy, etc.

There is nothing like the benefit safety net here that you are familiar with in the U.K. No such thing as child benefit, free prescriptions for children, etc.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread, but as others have said, without visas (assuming you're not US citizens) the whole thing is irrelevant.

For what it's worth, I would recommend that family of six doesn't consider relocating to a relatively low cost state like Florida without an income of at least $100,000/yr, and that would be liveable, though far from luxurious.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase 'Not on your Nelly' springs to mind!

I would look at Pulaski's Ways and then ask your questions from there. I suspect you will not qualify for a visa and, unless you do, you are not coming to live in Florida or any other state, for that matter. The US is one of the hardest countries to which to emigrate and almost all of the 'I want to live in Florida' posts we see result in the OP not even bothering to come back to thank us for (or even comment on) our advice.

I suspect many of them just don't believe us and go to other sites that promise they can get you in...for a fee, only to find themselves several hundreds or even thousands of pounds poorer, just because they think we were lying!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems unreasonable to expect Nelly to be hanging on every word here when moving is a major and stressful event.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have any disability benefits
That's always a good thing for someone to put in their first post on BE!

I'm going to cut to the chase - you probably aren't going to qualify for a visa to live and work in the US (or live and claim disability benefits) assuming you are not a USC.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

You have the cart before the horse. If you just want to buy a vacation home and visit, then it is a pretty straightforward and you just need to find a good real estate agent (I can recommend one in the Davenport area who I have personally worked with).

If you are planning to LIVE in Florida, your first stop is a visa. You can't just up and move here. You need a route to a visa. If neither of you are US Citizens, you will need an employment based route or the other option is the E2 Investment Visa which is a minefield. Even if successful, your children will be returned to the UK when they age out at 21.

You will not be entitled to any benefits in the US.

I could talk all day about the cost of health care (think $1200 a month at a minimum and the health costs don't end with your premium). If you are one of the many people who come by who have only the E2 Investment Visa route open to them, you'll be fully funding your health care which will likely cost more than your mortgage a month.

Start at the beginning. Visa is your first step not house hunting.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
.... I could talk all day about the cost of health care (think $1200 a month at a minimum and the health costs don't end with your premium). If you are one of the many people who come by who have only the E2 Investment Visa route open to them, you'll be fully funding your health care which will likely cost more than your mortgage a month. .....
For a family of six self-funding healthcare, you should be budgeting around $2,000 month for the aggregate of insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses - some combination of higher premiums and lower OoP's or lower premiums and higher OoP's.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 5th 2018 at 4:45 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair it has been a while since we've had a "I want to live at Disney World" post.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
To be fair it has been a while since we've had a "I want to live at Disney World" post.
We are well aware of that. The OP is a new member...perhaps we could give her the benefit of doubt until she provides more information.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We are well aware of that. The OP is a new member...perhaps we could give her the benefit of doubt until she provides more information.
It's all in good fun. I live at Disney World myself!
Old Mar 5th 2018, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jammiie
It's all in good fun. I live at Disney World myself!

Which one are you?
Old Mar 5th 2018, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.