Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a Job back in the USA

Need a Job back in the USA

Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a Job back in the USA

I applied for jobs while in the UK. I have a greencard, so also had the luxury of being able to legally make the move.

I played the numbers game and simply applied for about a 100 jobs... only got rejected 99 times

The company that hired me had UK offices, so I went to initial interviews there. I was then genuinely flying to the US within 2-weeks anyway, and offered to pop in for an interview. They took me up on the offer. And eventually gave me a job.

So you could perhaps offer to fly our for interviews and pay yourself, but I wouldn't offer that up front.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Cliffordc is an unknown quantity at this point

What can you get if you hold a CDL Class A? I see your from New York, I worked in Manhattan and lived in Jersey City (Paulus Hook)
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice

Hey Patrick, was you serious about the CDL licence thing? My hubby has his CDL licence and may be looking for a job over in the USA. I'm dual citizen and he is american.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffordc
What can you get if you hold a CDL Class A? I see your from New York, I worked in Manhattan and lived in Jersey City (Paulus Hook)
Isn't Class A a truck driver?
If so here in CA it seems Safeway and other big companies are always looking for drivers. Good money and benefits too.
Many are located in Sunny Tracy CA five miles from the sun for most of the year but it'sa a start I suppose.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffordc
You can't get hold of a CDL just like that Clifford ! It requires a driving test and you would have to show written proof of 2 years experiance
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
It makes a nice change for someone who actually has the right to live and work in the USA to be posting this kind of thread.

Usually it's people trying to find work who haven't a hope in hell of getting a visa.
BG,

Of course it's a nice change....

He who already has rights to work / LPR / USC - well its pretty straight forward isn't it ?

Not many people like that will worry much - work rights are on their side.....

Therefore, people who have dreams, some of them unachieveable, will be posters here in the hope of help...do ustand your point tho...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

www.linkedin.com

See if you've got any contacts in there that might be able to help...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
www.linkedin.com

See if you've got any contacts in there that might be able to help...
Already on it !
Few profile views, says recruiters but nothing yet. I think that's the
way to go though - networking.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Already on it !
well join some groups that are related to your career and uni alumni to help broaden your contact base, and then anyone you contact for a job, search if they are on there and then try and link up with them too...
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
well join some groups that are related to your career and uni alumni to help broaden your contact base, and then anyone you contact for a job, search if they are on there and then try and link up with them too...
Thanks Bob.

I have many friends there but all from IT (I am from Finance)

I have got in touch with 2-3 recruiters there but it all comes
back to being there in the USA and everyone needing a face to
face interview (which I am fine with)

I have got a few recruiters on linkedin. However I do not know
wht you refer to when you say 'groups related to your career'..
do you mean just search Linkedin for financial groups ?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I have got a few recruiters on linkedin. However I do not know
wht you refer to when you say 'groups related to your career'..
do you mean just search Linkedin for financial groups ?
You know on the left side, you've got home, contacts etc links, one is for groups, hit that, and then search for groups whatever professional bodies that you might have, for me I have Game developers group, IGDA etc as I'm in the games industry.

It opens you up to being able to contact people who are in the group that you aren't directly connected with, also you can see questions or more job positions that are posted towards those groups.

Face book is also quite good for this, join an professional groups and connect through friends as well.

Craigslist is also quite handy for jobs, and Monster.com seems good for your field, but also dice.com though that's more IT, they do have business management roles going, though I'm guessing that's going on a slight tangent to what you do?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Already on it !
Linkedin definitely seems to be used by headhunters though. I never used to get many calls, but after joining that site seem to get them fairly often. So it can't hurt.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Linkedin definitely seems to be used by headhunters though. I never used to get many calls, but after joining that site seem to get them fairly often. So it can't hurt.
Yeah, all part of the networking. I think, not being in the country
is a hindrance however if you have someone atleast in your contact
lists then that way it can help.

It just gets back to the fact that one really needs to be in US to
get a job. Well there can be exceptions but not a rule...