Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a Job back in the USA

Need a Job back in the USA

Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Cliffordc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a Job back in the USA

I lived in California and NYC between 1992 to 2000. Regrettably I moved back to the UK and have kicked myself ever since.

I hold a US passport so no problems with status. I just need to see what's happening and if there are any recruitment agencies that may help ex pats. I appreciate that things are tough, but the USA will be coming out of these problems a good 2 years before Europe. Also, I moved to the USA in the last turn down so have experience there.

My background is Money Broking, Sales and Business development. I hold as Security Industry Authority Licence and Hackney Carriage Badge.

Anyone got any ideas or pointers.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a Job back in the USA

Have you looked at the following two sites to see what jobs are available?

http://www.careerbuilder.com/

http://www.monster.com/
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Have you looked at the following two sites to see what jobs are available?

http://www.careerbuilder.com/

http://www.monster.com/
Why not just fly into the country and have a quick look ?

Ths sites are fantastic to get an idea - but many on the forum visited on VWP and were successful...so I don't think why it can't happen with you.....
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

I have accounts with both. They seem to be mainly recruitment agencies looking to increase candidate databases. Also, when jobs are listed they are almost always filled. I plan to visit in the New Year. But you know how it is, would be great to get a line of communication going with someone useful before I go.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Why not just fly into the country and have a quick look ?

Ths sites are fantastic to get an idea - but many on the forum visited on VWP and were successful...so I don't think why it can't happen with you.....
I agree that it will be difficult to get a job long distance but he may be able to send in resumes and indicate that he will be available for an interview if the company is interested. When he lines up enough interviews, he can then fly over. He should make sure that the resume indicates that he is a USC.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

there seems to be a market for an ex pat recruitment agency
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffordc
there seems to be a market for an ex pat recruitment agency
Most companies would prefer to hire USCs who are already here. I would think an agency just recruiting expats would have a tough go of it.

Getting hired from overseas is a lot tougher than once you're already here. Of course, being a USC, you at least have that advantage.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

It makes a nice change for someone who actually has the right to live and work in the USA to be posting this kind of thread.

Usually it's people trying to find work who haven't a hope in hell of getting a visa.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

I still belive there could be a market for expat recruitment. Advantages are that many Expat USC's have the experience and spirit to work in a foreign country, this makes them stand out from the rest.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I still belive there could be a market for expat recruitment. Advantages are that many Expat USC's have the experience and spirit to work in a foreign country, this makes them stand out from the rest.
Get a job in the UK with a company with offices in the US, network a move.

Cabbie thing will not help.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

A lot is who you know.
Are you still in the same line of work as when you were here before? Tracking down the old friends and coworkers, seeing what they're up to, any leads, etc.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

my money broking days are well behind me now. its all about relationships in that business and al mine have moved on
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I hold as Security Industry Authority Licence and Hackney Carriage Badge.

Anyone got any ideas or pointers.
If you held a CDL class A I could have got you the best truck driving job in NYC tomorrow .................. But you don't

Never mind
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Get a job in the UK with a company with offices in the US, network a move.

Cabbie thing will not help.
If you are 'BLIND' you can get a job driving a cab in NYC

Or school bus come to that
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you think there is a market for it ... start one up yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.