Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need info on applying to US University

Need info on applying to US University

Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Amosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really nice
Default Need info on applying to US University

We are at present comtemplating a move to the US - Akron, Ohio - next year due to DH's job.

We have a DD who will be almost 7 so she will join Elementary school in Grade 1.

Our DS is a bit different. He finishes his A'Levels next year and is at present applying to go to a UK university.

My questions at present are:
* How easy would it be for him to get into the local Uni (in Akron) if he decides to relocate with us?
* How are his A'Levels compared to a High School Diploma?
* Would he be classed as an Overseas student even if his home address is in the US?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need info on applying to US University

Originally Posted by Amosthalfaweek
We are at present comtemplating a move to the US - Akron, Ohio - next year due to DH's job.

We have a DD who will be almost 7 so she will join Elementary school in Grade 1.

Our DS is a bit different. He finishes his A'Levels next year and is at present applying to go to a UK university.

* How easy would it be for him to get into the local Uni (in Akron) if he decides to relocate with us?
* Would he be classed as an Overseas student even if his home address is in the US?
* If he meets their entry requirements and can pay the fees, easy.
* You should contact the university's International Office direct (or get online - most universities have acceptable equivalencies for international students on their Web page)
* Probably, yes. I was classified as an international student for all 6 years I was there. If you think about it, all international students have a "home" address in the US, once they have moved there to attend university. As an adult, the fact he has parents working in the States doesn't necessarily mean the US is "home" for him (immigration, tax, and education authorities all classify "residence" differently). Some universities allow you to move to in-state status if you can show evidence that you truly have moved to the state, but this usually takes a year or so of having lived there - so he may be able to move to in-state status for his latter years (though the rules may be different for a non-citizen). Again, you need to contact the university diirectly to find out. Unless there's someone on here who has been in the exact same situation (at the same university), any statements of "fact" posted on here should be taken with a pinch of salt. Every university has its own policies regarding in-state, out-of-state, and international status. Contact the university direct.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 20th 2010 at 9:23 am.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:30 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Public (government funded) universities generally differentiate between "in state" and "out of state" (which includes overseas). For those who qualify for in-state, and the rules vary by uni and state, they get a reduced tuition cost vs. their out of state classmates. These are the public universities in Ohio:

http://www.opuac.org/

For the purposes of financial aid, generally their are US Citizens and non-US citizens, with the latter finding a pretty rough go at getting any funding.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the visa issues surrounding this. I'm not sure but I thought, depending on your visa, that they may need to sort out their own visas after 18 or some other age. I'm not sure but I've heard talk along those lines...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just about the elementary- my son is just 6 (in july 2010) and he is in grade 1 now. If your daughter is almost 7 then i would think she wants to be in grade 2 next year at least.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

University of Akron's admissions page: LINK

I don't think Akron is considered a difficult uni to get into, so if he has decent grades and can pay he should be ok.

BTW, Akron proper is a dump, you'll want to be living in one of the surrounding suburbs.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Amosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really niceAmosthalfaweek is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
* * You should contact the university's International Office direct (or get online - most universities have acceptable equivalencies for international students on their Web page).
Dunroving - I have emailed the Uni International Admissions team to ask what they require etc. The website was rather vague and just mentioned transcripts of degrees
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MsElui
just about the elementary- my son is just 6 (in july 2010) and he is in grade 1 now. If your daughter is almost 7 then i would think she wants to be in grade 2 next year at least.
MsElui - She'll turn 7 on 17th September 2011 and all we could find was reference to a cut off date of either 1st Aug or 30th Sept that it used to determine Grade entry. We've had contact with an Elementary School that we will visit next week and the Principal thinks First Grade is right
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't move to Akron.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bill_S
BTW, Akron proper is a dump, you'll want to be living in one of the surrounding suburbs.
Thanks for this Bill. I always think the hardest part of moving somewhere is choosing a nice place to live! We have been recommended Copley, Hudson and Cuyahoga Falls.

Sorry for the individual replies but I don't know how to add multiple quotes to a post
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the individual replies but I don't know how to add multiple quotes to a post
At the bottom right side of each post is an 'edit' button, a 'quote' one, a little multipage icon and an arrow icon. The multipage thingie one will multiquote. Press as many of those as you want to reply to (they'll turn color when active) and click 'Reply' when you're ready.
Just be sure you are typing in the open space between the quote tags (will make sense when you see it). The first time I saw it, I thought it was maaaagic!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving - I have emailed the Uni International Admissions team to ask what they require etc. The website was rather vague and just mentioned transcripts of degrees
Sometimes it's more a case of the Web site is crap to navigate, and the Search function sucks (or it's hard to know the correct terms to search for). From experience, this kind of information is on there somewhere, it's just hard to find it. Hopefully you'll get a reply to your email sending you to the correct link.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
University of Akron's admissions page: LINK

I don't think Akron is considered a difficult uni to get into, so if he has decent grades and can pay he should be ok.

I second that - Akron is pretty much a dump!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

For the purposes of financial aid, generally their are US Citizens and non-US citizens, with the latter finding a pretty rough go at getting any funding.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the visa issues surrounding this. I'm not sure but I thought, depending on your visa, that they may need to sort out their own visas after 18 or some other age. I'm not sure but I've heard talk along those lines...
I think Green Card holders are OK...I very much hope so
Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

MsElui - She'll turn 7 on 17th September 2011 and all we could find was reference to a cut off date of either 1st Aug or 30th Sept that it used to determine Grade entry. We've had contact with an Elementary School that we will visit next week and the Principal thinks First Grade is right
Yes you are fine with that, our son has a Sept 12th Birthday, he turned 6 this year and is in Kindergarten, he'll be in 1st grade next year like your daughter.

Our older child has a march birthday, he's in 3rd grade and is eight yrs.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think Green Card holders are OK...I very much hope so
Yes they are, speaking from experience. But the student loans aren't like UK student loans I believe (the interest rate that is.)

Check the state residency requirements for fee reductions for "in-state"/resident students. I think in Florida the student must have lived here for the prior two years; it may even be worth postponing entry for a year or two if necessary just to get a reduction in fees, US Uni can be expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.