Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need help on which visa is right for me..!!

Need help on which visa is right for me..!!

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

tanner6565 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help on which visa is right for me..!!

Hi all,

I have just returned from Conway in South Carolina after spending three months there and I loved it. I went out on a visa weaver but was told i had to return after 90 days? I would love to return to live and work out there. I have looked on the internet and found it very confusing trying to find the correct visa for me.

My background is this:-

My 41 (male) and have spent the past 10 years as a computing lecturer at my local college. I also have spent the past 15 years in IT...must say mostly self taught. Some of the information i have received states that the only way to get back to live and work is with a work visa? But i have no idea what one is and I have no idea where to start looking...so....i found this site and thought i'd pop on and try and get some advice form those that know...

I really have no idea how to go about finding work...i've had a look but most of the jobs state you have to be a US resident.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter please. Sorry for sounding a bit dumb here but this is all new to me.

Many thanks for taking time to reasd this post.

John.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help on which visa is right for me..!!

Read this, and see which visa might apply to you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Hint: Unless you have many years of experience, or a lot of money to invest, there might not be a visa type to suit you.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Read this, and see which visa might apply to you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Hint: Unless you have many years of experience, or a lot of money to invest, there might not be a visa type to suit you.

Rene
Hi and thanks for that, yes i have 10 years teaching experience and a teaching degree as well. I have IT quailifications such as CISCO IT Esstentials and others, as well as another teaching qualification.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tanner6565
Hi and thanks for that, yes i have 10 years teaching experience and a teaching degree as well. I have IT quailifications such as CISCO IT Esstentials and others, as well as another teaching qualification.
Teaching is not such a lucrative field in the USA at the moment. However, you can try applying for teaching positions at IT institutes and such, and see where it leads you.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Teaching is not such a lucrative field in the USA at the moment. However, you can try applying for teaching positions at IT institutes and such, and see where it leads you.

Rene
Ok thanks....do you know of any companies or websites that do that sort of thing? I read something about having find a sponser?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks....do you know of any companies or websites that do that sort of thing? I read something about having find a sponser?
There aren't any legit companes or websites, just outfits that will make promises they can't deliver. If you're really keen to work in the USA, the progression will be something like:

find institution that is hiring, then
figure out if you have the necessary qualifications for the job, if yes then
find out if they are willing to sponsor you for a visa (such as H1-B), if yes then
figure out if the job is really an H1 visa job (4-year degree required), if yes then
figure out if you qualify for the visa

If all of the above works out favorably, employer applies for a visa on your behalf.

Keep in mind that unemployment is high in the US, you will be competing against the many tens of thousands of unemployed IT professionals who don't need visas and can start work tomorrow.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I have just returned from Conway in South Carolina after spending three months there and I loved it. I went out on a visa weaver but was told i had to return after 90 days? I would love to return to live and work out there. I have looked on the internet and found it very confusing trying to find the correct visa for me.
Hi John, what kept you out in the US for 3 months? That's a long visit!

Hopefully you've now read the pinned post 'Want to Live and Work in the US?' as it explains the ways (family, work, misc) for you to accomplish that.

Expect it to be confusing, and then you won't be disappointed.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
There aren't any legit companes or websites, just outfits that will make promises they can't deliver. If you're really keen to work in the USA, the progression will be something like:

find institution that is hiring, then
figure out if you have the necessary qualifications for the job, if yes then
find out if they are willing to sponsor you for a visa (such as H1-B), if yes then
figure out if the job is really an H1 visa job (4-year degree required), if yes then
figure out if you qualify for the visa

If all of the above works out favorably, employer applies for a visa on your behalf.

Keep in mind that unemployment is high in the US, you will be competing against the many tens of thousands of unemployed IT professionals who don't need visas and can start work tomorrow.
ok cheers for that....i'll look in to it.