Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need first hand info on WI

Need first hand info on WI

Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need first hand info on WI

We might be moving within the next few months with DH's job to SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee, although I would really rather stay where we are at the moment. If there is anyone in or around that area to give us some info on nicer places to live with parks and walking trails. We don't have school age children, but would need it to be in a good school catchment area. Near decent shopping, but I really don't want to go into Chicago for anything as I dislike big cities. I know IMHO WI is the @rse end of beyond, specially in winter, but what can you do. We are not into winter sports or really anything like that.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice
Default Re: Need first hand info on WI

I don't live there, but my sister and her family does. They live in Milwaukee proper, but in a little area that sticks up in the Wauwautosa. They LOVE the area and my sister is very much into outdoor activities and there are so many beautiful parks and such to explore in Milwaukee and the surrounding area. With the lake right there, there are some amazing beaches (surfing?!) and the Kohler-Andre park is out of this world (huge sand dunes and rolling hills). Plus the lake-front green space right off of down-town and all the activities it hosts. Very cool.

They are hoping to move to Shorewood in the next few years - a VERY nice suburb just north of Milwaukee - right on the lake. It has adorable homes, is arty and fairly liberal - and is home to the state's best school district (one of the best in the country, I believe). My brother-in-law taught in that district for a year or two and said the students and parents were wonderful and the enthusiasm for learning (and the community support for it) was unparalleled.

We currently live in Minneapolis, but there are a lot of things about Milwaukee (affordable real estate, parks, arts, beer!) that could persuade me to move there.

ETA - winters really aren't too terrible. Sure, they get a decent amount of snow (lake effect), but because of the lake, they don't get horribly cold temps . . . or so I've been told by my sister who desperately wants me to move there!

Last edited by HisBetterHalf; Aug 11th 2012 at 11:02 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Don't live there, but just spent a few days there as part of a driving holiday up through the U.P., down through Chicago to back here.

On the short amount of time we were there, it seemed to have a really good atmosphere. The riverwalk is nicely developed and downtown itself seemed a nice size. We walked though the Marquette campus on our way back from seeing the Pabst House and older daughter liked the vibe. And, of course, you are close to Chicago, which is fab to have nearby (even if you're not fond of big cities).

Husband is there fairly frequently as his place have a couple of plants in the area and he really likes it. Thay never have any problems recruiting there, I think it's a popular place to be at the moment.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
We might be moving within the next few months with DH's job to SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee, although I would really rather stay where we are at the moment. If there is anyone in or around that area to give us some info on nicer places to live with parks and walking trails. We don't have school age children, but would need it to be in a good school catchment area. Near decent shopping, but I really don't want to go into Chicago for anything as I dislike big cities. I know IMHO WI is the @rse end of beyond, specially in winter, but what can you do. We are not into winter sports or really anything like that.
Mequon, just North of Milwaukee, has a Great High School. The commute into Milwaukee might be a pain in the arse, though.

Wisconsin is not necessarily as bad as people make it out to be. Milwaukee has Great Summer Festivals at the Henry Maier Festival Grounds on the Lakefront. You can also go to the State Fairgrounds, too. Visit the Harley Davidson Factory or Museum, or do the Miller Brewery Tour.

Bradford Beach, just North of the Art Museum is excellent in the Summer Months. About an hour's drive North of Milwaukee is Manitowoc, where you will find the Great Lakes Maritime Museum, and Door County is just a little further North.

Plenty of stuff to see and do. If you decide on the South Side of Milwaukee, Oak Creek or Racine......you will be within an hour's drive of Chicago O'Hare Airport and Non-Stop flights to the UK from American, United, British Airways & Virgin.

Good Luck.

Jim.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Need first hand info on WI

Here's some photos of;

1: Bradford Beach
2: Milwaukee Art Museum
3: Miller Park - Just in case you want to go and see a game of Rounders.

Forgot to point out thet Milwaukee has some excellent Theatres, where you can find some First Class Bands coming to perform.

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails Need first hand info on WI-lynn-july-2012-198.jpg   Need first hand info on WI-lynn-july-2012-192.jpg   Need first hand info on WI-lynn-july-2012-095.jpg  
Old Aug 12th 2012, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=Madison+WI

Way old now, but loads of good info about Madison and surrounds when I asked about the place, so might help out as a starting point.

I'm lucky it didn't work out for us though as the company soon imploded and of the 2 nearby companies that made a "hub", one culled nearly everyone and the other did much of the same.

Didn't sound entirely horrible of a location though, except the winters.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

As the OP is currently in CO, Winters in Wisconsin should be a Cakewalk.

Jim.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You should check out the city-data forums for Wisconsin.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisconsin/
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The job either might be about 30 miles west of Milwaukee or near Madison, so still need to do some research on those places, but DH still has to weigh the options to see if it might be right for him.

The winters in the Denver suburbs aren't really bad, it's up in the mountains and ski areas it gets bad. That's why I like it here so much.

I did find out that in one town we were considering if we had to move, the reason there was no fences between properties, that there was a town ordinance against them. It looks like that in all the towns nearby. We have 3 dogs, and all they know is a fenced yard. We would have to install an electric dog fence and put shock collars on them, and I really hate that idea. Two of them don't like strangers much, and one doesn't like strange dogs, so it's going to be a pain to make sure neighbourhood dogs and kids don't come into the yard. It does seem to be putting the cart before the horse, but I want to be prepared for such eventualities.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

The job either might be about 30 miles west of Milwaukee or near Madison, so still need to do some research on those places, but DH still has to weigh the options to see if it might be right for him.

The winters in the Denver suburbs aren't really bad, it's up in the mountains and ski areas it gets bad. That's why I like it here so much.

I did find out that in one town we were considering if we had to move, the reason there was no fences between properties, that there was a town ordinance against them. It looks like that in all the towns nearby. We have 3 dogs, and all they know is a fenced yard. We would have to install an electric dog fence and put shock collars on them, and I really hate that idea. Two of them don't like strangers much, and one doesn't like strange dogs, so it's going to be a pain to make sure neighbourhood dogs and kids don't come into the yard. It does seem to be putting the cart before the horse, but I want to be prepared for such eventualities.

If it's 30 minutes west, on I-94, that's going to put you near Watertown. That's another decent school district.

As for Madison, that can depend on where the Job is. Commuting from one side to the other can be a pain in the backside, at peak times.

Middleton, Verona and Mount Horeb are all decent areas to the West with resonable commute times.

To the North East, you have Sun Prairie.

All of these Towns have good schools. They have good music programmes, too. I drive most of these schools on their road trips. Kids seem to be well behaved and polite.

Jim.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We would have to install an electric dog fence and put shock collars on them, and I really hate that idea.
Find someplace else to live. Shock collars are not only cruel, they very often don't work... and that would be worse!

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Find someplace else to live. Shock collars are not only cruel, they very often don't work... and that would be worse!

Ian
+1. I've seen dogs just grit their teeth and march across the boundary. In addition, the electric fence doesn't keep other dogs out, leaving your pets susceptible to intruders.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
+1. I've seen dogs just grit their teeth and march across the boundary. In addition, the electric fence doesn't keep other dogs out, leaving your pets susceptible to intruders.
That's what I'm afraid of. All 3 are largish dogs and rambunctious, and don't always do as they're told. I'm very reluctant about using an electric fence and shock collar. Yes, it doesn't stop other animals or kids coming into the yard, and our dog's safety is very important to us. The people that made the stupid rule about no fences, either musn't have dogs or have tiny dogs that only go out on a leash.

We don't want to have to get somewhere way out in the sticks as it would mean a long commute in winter weather and we don't like the thought of that.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'm afraid of. All 3 are largish dogs and rambunctious, and don't always do as they're told. I'm very reluctant about using an electric fence and shock collar. Yes, it doesn't stop other animals or kids coming into the yard, and our dog's safety is very important to us. The people that made the stupid rule about no fences, either musn't have dogs or have tiny dogs that only go out on a leash.
Is it "allowed" to build a dog run, eg a fenced-in area for the dogs that does not enclose the house proper? You could contact local dog-friendly organizations to see how they handle this (eg rescue groups for large breeds).

I couldn't handle WI winters since I am a barefoot girl ;-) but all else I have heard sounds lovely.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:50 am
Just Joined

davejm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I lived in Milwaukee for several years. If you want to be in a nice area within the catchment area for excellent schools and near good shopping. I highly recommend the foxpoint and Glendale area of Milwaukee which is about 15 minutes drive north of the city. It has schools like Nicolet and Shorewood within a snowball throw of those suburbs.

Its got a thriving english population too with many english students attending the local university and some friends of mine own a successful english pub called "The Three Lions".

Its got Bayshore mall which is a rather nice outdoor mall with lots of reasonable restaurants and good shopping, it also has an indoor mall which is very average but its there...The cinema and bowling alley there at the mall is the best one iv been too.

Its also walking distance to Lake Michigan which is pleasant in the warmer months and bradford beach which is popular with just about everyone in the summer.

I absolutely LOVED Milwaukee it has a huge night scene although if your not a student i would avoid Water Street and North Avenue and instead aim for Milwaukee Street which is a slightly more upmarket night scene.

There is so much to do in Milwaukee and Wisconsin i dont remember ever really being bored, although i will say that it is shockingly cold in Winter and the wind can be testy, but it didnt spoil my time there at all.

If you want more specific information please feel free to message me i will gladly help, and i have a lot of friends and work contacts in the area through my time there.

regards,

Dave.