Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Certificate of marital status for immigration purposes (to Iceland)

Certificate of marital status for immigration purposes (to Iceland)

Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:12 pm
JGS
Just Joined

JGS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certificate of marital status for immigration purposes (to Iceland)

I find myself with a rather strange problem, and I am wondering if anyone here has dealt with something similar.

I am leaving on August 30 for Iceland to attend a graduate program, and the school just informed me today that the immigration rules of EEA country students have changed, and I will now need to include a certificate of marital status in my application for a residence permit (which I need since I will be living in Iceland for more than 3 months). I have been able to surmise through some googling that these certificates are common in the EU, but as I have lived in the US for almost my entire life, I had never heard of such a thing before.

My question, to anyone who has ever dealt with this very strange and random problem or something similar: since I will be entering Iceland on my UK passport, will I need to apply for and submit a UK certificate of no impediment (even though I have never been a resident in the UK), or should I try to get a letter notarized by the secretary of state in Illinois?

I have emailed my school asking these questions, made an appointment request at my local UK consulate, and am planning to call Icelandic immigration once they re-open for the business day, but since time is of the essence, I would be most grateful for any guidance from you all.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of marital status for immigration purposes (to Iceland)

You realize you posted this in the USA section, right?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of marital status for immigration purposes (to Iceland)

As an EEA citizen you can stay in Iceland for 3 months without a permit. After that you have to apply for one. I think the marriage certificate would only be required if you are married and are planning on living in Iceland with your spouse. Your school should help you fill out the form and submit it. I can't imagine there being any difficulty, if you are in Reykjavik it's so small and efficient that you'll be able to walk it to the office and I bet you'll get the permit right there.

http://www.mcc.is/media/frettir/Fyrs..._IS_EN_web.pdf

http://www.skra.is/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=5850

Here is the form you have to fill out

http://www.skra.is/lisalib/getfile.aspx?itemid=7834