Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

In or near Philly?

In or near Philly?

Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Katadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of light
Default In or near Philly?

Hi Guys,

My name is Kath and I have been lurking and reading since my last post back in September.

Hubby and I want to move back to the UK so bad but so much to do before that happens as we have been here so long. I have been so sad about this that I wanted to meet other Brits in this area so I became the organizer of a Meet up group and wanted to let you know about it.

Its called The Philadelphia British Expats Meet Up group and we meet all over the area at different pubs etc. We meet monthly and have meals, quiz nights, holiday events and are getting ready to do a girls night out and guys football on saturdays. We are even involved in a food drive for a local cancer outreach foundation and we are doing the Susan G Komen Mothers Day breast cancer walk next year.

The group is for anyone who: either has british heritage, is a brit that has moved over here, is married to a brit, is moving to the UK or has lived here for a long while. We now have 34 members and some are single, some are married, some parents some not. We come from all financial backgrounds and walks of life. Some are here becuase america is great and they wanted the experience, some are here for work, some are planning to stay and some are moving back home in the coming years.

My goal is to try to bring a little of what the brits miss here to the US while they are here. Getting out and making friends has really helped me cope with the sadness of not going back right now.

So if your in the area, want support like I need, or friendship, great british food or a beer or a few please let me know. I would LOVE to meet you.

We have an event coming up in November that will be a fun day. Sunday Lunch and a quiz night at a pub in philly.

Here is our website:

http://brit.meetup.com/234/

have a look and then come out and have some fun

Hugs
Kath
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In or near Philly?

welcome to BE

There's a fair few dotted around PA, don't know about Philly though *lol*
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Katadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of lightKatadina is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
welcome to BE

There's a fair few dotted around PA, don't know about Philly though *lol*
Hi Bob, most of us dont live in Philly but in the surounding areas, some in jersey etc. It was just a central place and metropolitan area so I chose that area.

Cheers
Kath
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:20 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katadina
Hi Bob, most of us dont live in Philly but in the surounding areas, some in jersey etc. It was just a central place and metropolitan area so I chose that area.

Cheers
Kath
Hi Kath, the meet-up group sounds great, wish I was closer to Philly! I'm in boring central PA.
Love Philly though, let us know how you go on and if you find any decent pubs in the philly area.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hi Kath, the meet-up group sounds great, wish I was closer to Philly! I'm in boring central PA.
Love Philly though, let us know how you go on and if you find any decent pubs in the philly area.
Sarah

Hi there! What part of central PA? My daughter is a Steelers fan out here in Eagle country!. I dont rate American football myself.

Maybe you could come down for a day or somthing? How far are you from Philly?

I think the best part of this job is all the Pubs I am finding! Hubby and I are sure we now know who makes the best fish and chips in Philly and who cant cook a banger to save their lives.

I had to get some help, cant have a british expat group if the organizer is a yank (me). Hubby was too busy so a great lady signed up to help me. She is a scot and were having a great time.

Let me know if you make it down our way. The november event would be fun, we may well be there almost all day!

Kath
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:35 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah

Hi there! What part of central PA? My daughter is a Steelers fan out here in Eagle country!. I dont rate American football myself.

Maybe you could come down for a day or somthing? How far are you from Philly?

I think the best part of this job is all the Pubs I am finding! Hubby and I are sure we now know who makes the best fish and chips in Philly and who cant cook a banger to save their lives.

I had to get some help, cant have a british expat group if the organizer is a yank (me). Hubby was too busy so a great lady signed up to help me. She is a scot and were having a great time.

Let me know if you make it down our way. The november event would be fun, we may well be there almost all day!

Kath

I'm in State College, which is near Altoona and is a looong ass drive from Philly, we used to live in Scranton which wasn't too bad, 2 -3 hours in the turnpike.
We'll probably be in Philly to go to King Of Prussia to do all our Christmas shopping
There is a new elephant and castle pub just outside of Philly, they are Canadian owned I beleive but I've been in two when I was in Chicago and loved them. They did a great fish n chips.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

My name is Kath and I have been lurking and reading since my last post back in September.

Hubby and I want to move back to the UK so bad but so much to do before that happens as we have been here so long. I have been so sad about this that I wanted to meet other Brits in this area so I became the organizer of a Meet up group and wanted to let you know about it.

Its called The Philadelphia British Expats Meet Up group and we meet all over the area at different pubs etc. We meet monthly and have meals, quiz nights, holiday events and are getting ready to do a girls night out and guys football on saturdays. We are even involved in a food drive for a local cancer outreach foundation and we are doing the Susan G Komen Mothers Day breast cancer walk next year.

The group is for anyone who: either has british heritage, is a brit that has moved over here, is married to a brit, is moving to the UK or has lived here for a long while. We now have 34 members and some are single, some are married, some parents some not. We come from all financial backgrounds and walks of life. Some are here becuase america is great and they wanted the experience, some are here for work, some are planning to stay and some are moving back home in the coming years.

My goal is to try to bring a little of what the brits miss here to the US while they are here. Getting out and making friends has really helped me cope with the sadness of not going back right now.

So if your in the area, want support like I need, or friendship, great british food or a beer or a few please let me know. I would LOVE to meet you.

We have an event coming up in November that will be a fun day. Sunday Lunch and a quiz night at a pub in philly.

Here is our website:

http://brit.meetup.com/234/

have a look and then come out and have some fun

Hugs
Kath
Why not direct your members to this website...its a great source of information and fun. You don't have to pay to become a member but Premium Membership for under $10 for 6 mths is worth it for the hours of entertainment the site provides.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why not direct your members to this website...its a great source of information and fun. You don't have to pay to become a member but Premium Membership for under $10 for 6 mths is worth it for the hours of entertainment the site provides.
Hi. alot of our members know about this site already and come here often in fact i refer to this site all the time great place
Kath