Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been given a counterfeit banknote

Have you ever been given a counterfeit banknote

Old Oct 26th 2006, 1:25 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you ever been given a counterfeit banknote

Reading todays story Colombia 'is fake banknote king'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6087438.stm

I wondered how many people this has effected.

I am lucky enough to have never been given a fake note in my life.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 1:30 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever been given a counterfeit banknote

Originally Posted by vegas
Reading todays story Colombia 'is fake banknote king'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6087438.stm

I wondered how many people this has effected.

You really don't know unless you are caught spending it.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

some bird out where we use to live, she scanned and printed her notes, she didn't have a problem using them at McD's or Dunkin'...but she got busted when she went into a bank asking if they could change a $20 into quarters for the laundry *lol*

speaking of scanning, Photoshop, you can't scan or manipulate any currency, but you can get around it by bringing the image into adobe Image first and passing it out into PS.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Not a note - but I once got a counterfeit £1 COIN.

I mean, who the hell makes dodgy pound coins?

It was the newsagent at a tube station who caught it....
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:50 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I've had shed loads of pound coins copper sprayed gold.
I've had one five pound note when I was a prison officer which I got shut of through the inmates visits room cafe where a mate passed it out as change I felt guilty so I ended up giving the fiver to a charity collection.
I did also get a fake Irish twenty pence coin apparently they were making them by filing down fifty pence pieces.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:15 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
some bird out where we use to live, she scanned and printed her notes, she didn't have a problem using them at McD's or Dunkin'...but she got busted when she went into a bank asking if they could change a $20 into quarters for the laundry *lol*

speaking of scanning, Photoshop, you can't scan or manipulate any currency, but you can get around it by bringing the image into adobe Image first and passing it out into PS.

How do you know this Bob? I have to wonder?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You really don't know unless you are caught spending it.
What happens if you're given a counterfeit $50 in change, then you go to spend it and the cashier says its fake; obviously the cops are called, but are you left with no $50, even though it wasn't your fault?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:33 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What happens if you're given a counterfeit $50 in change, then you go to spend it and the cashier says its fake; obviously the cops are called, but are you left with no $50, even though it wasn't your fault?
Just take a counterfeit detector pen with you and insist on marking each note they give you because thats what some places do to you
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas

Lucky enough to have not noticed you've been given one, or anyone who you have passed to on to not noticed either, you mean

I'd almost guarantee everyone has had a duffer in their posession several times during their lives. I've not noticed either, but I bet I've had a couple.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
How do you know this Bob? I have to wonder?
The photoshop thing? There's some international standard for image software that uses recognition stuff to not allow you to do it...that and I had to do something with some bank notes for a graphics project and it would let me bring in the scanned image.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:05 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I did also get a fake Irish twenty pence coin apparently they were making them by filing down fifty pence pieces.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I was given a $20 bill in my wage whilst working in my friends store ,it was noticed when I tried to deposit it in the bank. The bank took it and I had to fill out a form. Few days later we had a call from the Secret Service asking for more details. I was suprised to get a call from them ,thought it was someones idea of a joke, but apparently they deal with that sort of thing.Yes you loose the money ,luckily my friend gave me another $20 this time a real one.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Columbia has been notorious for counterfeit money - preferred currency of the Cartels who often would pay their runners with fake money. Also what they have been finding is the amount of notes which are also tainted with drugs; esp coke!! Hmmm... Columbia, drugs and banknotes.

Certainly a few years ago it was reckoned that around 80 per cent of all banknotes in circulation in the UK were contaminated with drugs, a figure that rose to 99 per cent in the London area!! go figure, cocaine was the most common substance. The £5 and £10 notes were the most heavily contaminated. In Bristol and Manchester, £10 notes were the worst, while in London £20 notes have the highest drug content. Start huffing your wallet!!
So, what happens if you have tainted counterfeit notes?