Reload this Page >

NC Drivers Licence 'Fleet Vehicles Only' Catch 22

NC Drivers Licence 'Fleet Vehicles Only' Catch 22

Old May 6th 2014, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

mfncl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile NC Drivers Licence 'Fleet Vehicles Only' Catch 22

All -

I recently completed my North Carolina drivers licence shortly after relocating to this sunny, happy state from the UK.

When taking the tests at the DMV, the examiner advised that since I was doing the test in a rental car my licence will have a 'fleet vehicles only' condition on it, meaning I can only use that licence to drive rentals until I can show an insurance certificate to the DMV.

Whilst it is great that NC allow you to do the test in a rental vehicle (have read accounts on here of other states DMVs being stricter with regards to this), the scenario strikes me as a catch 22 - to get insurance I need to own a car, but to be able to purchase and register a car I need a licence without this condition.

DMV customer services advised I can purchase insurance without owning a car - but I'm not so certain since all insurance companies I've tried require a car manufacturer and model to be entered when applying.

Naturally I'm treated as a new driver so quotes from Geico, esurance etc are around the $2600/year mark (on a 2013 focus).

Has anybody else been in a similar situation (the 'fleet vehicles only' DL restriction seems pretty specific to NC), or can anyone suggest an insurance company to start off with that will insure me and not a specific car?

Thanks all, any comments/feedback much appreciated
Old May 6th 2014, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NC Drivers Licence 'Fleet Vehicles Only' Catch 22

Originally Posted by mfncl
All -

I recently completed my North Carolina drivers licence shortly after relocating to this sunny, happy state from the UK.

When taking the tests at the DMV, the examiner advised that since I was doing the test in a rental car my licence will have a 'fleet vehicles only' condition on it, meaning I can only use that licence to drive rentals until I can show an insurance certificate to the DMV.

Whilst it is great that NC allow you to do the test in a rental vehicle (have read accounts on here of other states DMVs being stricter with regards to this), the scenario strikes me as a catch 22 - to get insurance I need to own a car, but to be able to purchase and register a car I need a licence without this condition.

DMV customer services advised I can purchase insurance without owning a car - but I'm not so certain since all insurance companies I've tried require a car manufacturer and model to be entered when applying.

Naturally I'm treated as a new driver so quotes from Geico, esurance etc are around the $2600/year mark (on a 2013 focus).

Has anybody else been in a similar situation (the 'fleet vehicles only' DL restriction seems pretty specific to NC), or can anyone suggest an insurance company to start off with that will insure me and not a specific car?

Thanks all, any comments/feedback much appreciated
Hi - I arrived in NC back in Feb 2011 - went to the DMV in our hire car. However, 24 hours previous I phoned GEICO, who (for a princely sum of $500) offered to give me a liability certificate of insurance - didn't need a vehicle. Can't remember what the form name was called - DL-21 or something similar. They emailed it to me, I printed it out, took it to the DMV, they seemed pleased and issued me my NC drivers license with no condition even though I was driving a hire car.

And Robert is your fathers brother!

I'll add that the $500 was over 6 months - but then as soon as I bought a car I "upgraded" to getting insurance - yuk I remember that being very expensive - fortunately now not so much!

Last edited by Hawkini; May 6th 2014 at 11:35 pm.
Old May 6th 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a $200 banger and insure it through Safe Auto for liability only. Take the certificate to the DMV (have someone drive you there!) and the deed is done.

You do NOT have to have a license to buy a car or to insure it. The license is for driving on public roads only and has no bearing on the ability to actualy own a vehicle.
Old May 7th 2014, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

mfncl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sterling advice, thanks a lot for the fast responses guys! Will post back once it's sorted.
Old May 7th 2014, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

You do NOT have to have a license to buy a car or to insure it. The license is for driving on public roads only and has no bearing on the ability to actualy own a vehicle.
I agree I bought a car in 2007 and didn't get my licence until 2011.
Old May 7th 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfncl
relocating to this sunny, happy state
I don't know, but I'll have a bit of what you're having.
Old May 8th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't know, but I'll have a bit of what you're having.
It's all relative.