Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nationwide Building Society account after moving.

Nationwide Building Society account after moving.

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nationwide Building Society account after moving.

I moved to the U.S. 12 years ago.
I still maintain my Nationwide account that I established at my old address in Scotland, where my mother still lives. Statements still go to the old address.

I requested that my American wife gets added to my account so that she can have a card when we visit the UK however they denied that, since I cannot show my wife's connection to the old address. Being married wasn't enough even though I was surprised by that.

I told them I don't even live there anymore and they suggested I fill in a change of address form updating it with my American address and they would send statements there. Now I was surprised that I could keep my account even in America.

So...if I change my address to the U.S. address, I'm now wondering if they'd add my wife to my account for the purposes of another card user. They might decline because she's not a U.K. citizen.

It's not a big deal but I wondered if anyone had experience with a similar situation.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nationwide Building Society account after moving.

I can't help I'm afraid with the probability of your wife getting a card but I can say that Nationwide have my US address and I've never had any issues with it. They have sent me a replacement card reader, annual statements and replacement cards here.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I can't help I'm afraid with the probability of your wife getting a card but I can say that Nationwide have my US address and I've never had any issues with it. They have sent me a replacement card reader, annual statements and replacement cards here.
Thanks for that..I can now change my address with confidence.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 10:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Yep, same here...Unless anything has changed, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:21 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Nationwide and US address here, no problem. Also while we were in the UK, once we were married I was able to get on my husband's nationwide account before I was a citizen. They let me open my own as well, but I was resident at the time so that won't apply in this case.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup - agree with the previous posts - once you change your address you can add another person for Nationwide credit cards and savings/current accounts. I worked for NBS for 16 years before I moved to the US BTW The only company that refused to change to my US address and forced me to cancel my credit card was ironically Citibank.