Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A nation can be judged ...?

A nation can be judged ...?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A nation can be judged ...?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I just thought it was an interesting remark. It was obviously based on your personal experience. I live in a city with two universities and a very large military base. The rescue operation that my sister and her husband run here find the majority of their "dumps" to be from military personnel who are transferring. That is based on my experience.
Yes sad to say that is what I see all the time liveing in Base houseing Even had a women come up to me in the street while out walking with my Son, asking if we wanted a Puppy free to a good home!!! I was gobsmacked it was all I could do was keep calm and say no thankyou.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

After building a relationship with an animal I cannot comprehend why some people seem to be so guilt free in passing it off or worse dumping it in the streets. Have they no heart.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
After building a relationship with an animal I cannot comprehend why some people seem to be so guilt free in passing it off or worse dumping it in the streets. Have they no heart.
It has already been said it's a throw away society so just like any other worn out household item there tossed out with the rubbish Oh must remember to say not by all American's of course
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same, but then again, I love my dog and would never part with her. I was brought up to love and respect animals, the people I know here don't seem to be taught that.

I don't understand people who can get a puppy and then just dispose of it when they no longer want it, but one thing I do know is that these people do not love their pets ... they just have them around and never seem to bond with them in the way we do, which is why they can so easily dispose of them. It is the norm here to have a dog and leave it in the yard 24/7, treatment that would be frowned upon by the majority in the UK.

My US family don't understand my relationship with my dog ... to them a dog is just that, a dog ... you can have one and if you get bored with it, you can dispose of it and get something new and more exciting. I guess they see a dog as just another toy and it's nigh on impossible to make them think differently when my views on dog ownership differ to what seems to be the general way of thinking here.

I know that there are people in this country who love their dogs and care for them properly, but where I live, those people are thought of as highly strange and somewhat loopy!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but that's often the explanation - they don't develop a relationship with their dog any more than they would with any other piece of property like a television.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:47 pm
Winterwords

A pretty disturbing story from the UK that has emerged in the last day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4289764.stm

The guy who lived in the flat was a squatter apparently. I feel sorry for him because there's obviusly something *very* wrong with him & he needs to be found & helped. Also feel sad for anyone in that area who has had a cat go missing. :/