Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My first US road rage incident...

My first US road rage incident...

Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:38 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first US road rage incident...

It sounds to me like he was mostly miffed because you stopped twice, not because you merged into his lane. (Although I have to say that it is a particular pet peeve of mine when people don't indicate when they want/need to change lanes. But I digress...) People get so annoyed at the slightest inconvenience. I honestly don't get it. If people just relaxed and took it easy out there, everyone would get where they'd need to go with minimum delays or problems. Alas, the world doesn't work that way.

Honestly, I strongly suggest avoiding confrontation at all costs. Ignore the person and leave immediately. People DO have guns in this country and carry them in their cars. All you need is for some retard to start flashing it around when s/he's pissed off, and then what?

When I was learning to drive back in the late 1980s in the suburbs of Washington, DC, I remember a rule of thumb my driving instructor taught me: When at a stoplight or stop sign, always leave enough space so that you can see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you. That way you'll have plenty of room to pull out and get away if someone is threatening you! (Scary, isn't it?)

~ Jenney
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Wonderful mature behaviour in front of the kids (and family)!
Kids? My wife has some explaining to do...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:07 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Having had to sit next to their wives in a confined space for the last hour or two.
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that ...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine taught me a great trick, instead of flying the "victory V". If you are male and the irate driver is also male, blow them a kiss! Works a treat.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
A friend of mine taught me a great trick, instead of flying the "victory V". If you are male and the irate driver is also male, blow them a kiss! Works a treat.
....especially if you are in San Francisco.

Jim.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
really i wonder what a works like a treat means? because i know we have the right to bear arms here and you only need one "works like crap" before you are dead meat. Unless you pack the heat also? which i doubt.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Wear a bandana ..nobody says a word
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:53 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Wear a bandana ..nobody says a word
You might get pulled over by the fuzz though.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
My educated accent sends them on their way
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Only if you drive with your zipper open.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't mention it so I am assuming you didn't indicate to the driver that you were in the wrong lane and wanted to go in front of him. That is the usual way this is handled rather than tromping the gas and leaving rubber behind to cut in front of a car who is in the correct lane. Didn't you think about the baby in the backseat before you did this?
Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for the ever-charming Rete!

Remember, she's a Super Mod, so we mustn't tell her what we actually think of her judgmental, knee-jerk posts.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:11 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
My educated accent sends them on their way
I tried that. I said 'sir' and so may 'officers' that you think I had gotten out of the ticket. That wasn't the case. I believe the fact I was doing 53 in a 35 is what left me with the ticket.

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Only if you drive with your zipper open.
What I do with my open zipper behind the wheels is no one's beeswax.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Honestly, I strongly suggest avoiding confrontation at all costs. Ignore the person and leave immediately. People DO have guns in this country and carry them in their cars. All you need is for some retard to start flashing it around when s/he's pissed off, and then what?
I have to admit to struggling to take him seriously when, effectively, part of his criticism basically included me stopping to yield to pedestrians at a pedestrian crossing.

I'll make more of an effort to avoid confrontation in future. Point taken. I was put on the back foot a bit... I really wasn't 100% sure we were going to have such an incident until I got out of the car. If I'd have known, I would have just kept circling the parking lot til he got bored
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for the ever-charming Rete!

Remember, she's a Super Mod, so we mustn't tell her what we actually think of her judgmental, knee-jerk posts.

Yikes you never deviate from the path, dear.

Nothing jerk knee about my reaction. I think he did a very foolish and potentially harmful thing when he peeled out to cut into of another vehicle while he was in the wrong lane.

It is normal to roll down your window and gesture to the other driver that you need to get into his lane.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
It is normal to roll down your window and gesture to the other driver that you need to get into his lane.
That's illegal, dangerous and warrants a $35 fine in the state of Mass.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...and_a_35_fine/

When you've done such a thing, have you ever considered your compromised ability to raise a child with only one arm? Or did you not care?

Nothing knee jerk about my reaction. I just think you are suggesting a very foolish and potentially harmful thing and haven't considered your ability to parent with a compromised physical state.

Oooh, this judgemental thing is kinda fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.