Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My first US road rage incident...

My first US road rage incident...

Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My first US road rage incident...

Had some fun on Saturday morning at 9:00AM with the wife and baby in the car.

On the run up to some lights, I realized I was in the wrong lane. I wanted to go straight but was in the right turn lane. So when the lights went green, I floored the gas to make sure I could get over. I looked in my mirror... was a good 10 or 12 car lengths in front of the guy behind, so calmly moved over. Not my most angelic driving move, but not too bad. The guy behind didn't beep and appeared unaffected by my maneuver.

What then clearly tipped him over the edge, so that I then had the audacity to STOP in front of him... TWICE

The first, was due to people crossing a pedestrian crossing where a large sign says "Yield to pedestrians". Oh, the humanity.

The second, was when I wanted to turn left into a parking lot. I blinkered and stopped, at which point I did get beeped. Didn't even think it was for me, since performing a perfectly legal move preceded by yielding to pedestrians hardly makes me the devil incarnate.

So I turn into the parking lot, closely followed by a red SUV. At this point, still figured the beep wasn't even for me. But then, as I began searching for the optimal spot, I thought it an incredible coincidence that he was following me throughout. I pull in to a spot and proceed to look for change to pay the meter. I see in my mirror he's sat behind me.

A few mins pass while I find the change, give a toy to the baby to keep him amused, etc. During this, I assume since he was partly blocking the road for a while, he pulls in to the spot next to me. I'm now starting to think "hmmm, odd...".

So I get out, and the "conversation" goes as follows:

SUV: You went straight when in a right turn lane... and then you STOPPED in front of me, then you STOPPED again and...
ME: laughter Oh, get over yourself!
SUV: Where did you get your ****ing license!?
ME: sadly missed the opportunity to say "which one?"... instead went with the considerably less witty... **** off you wanker.
SUV: confused look... don't think he'd been called a wanker before... "unintelligible ramblings and profanities"
ME: Piss off you stupid little man!
SUV: reverses away and gives me middle finger
ME: How original!

First time I've ever had such an incident in 11 years of driving (I've never had an accident or a ticket BTW)!

The irony that he lost probably about 15 secs with me stopping in front of him, and yet he thought spending several mins chasing me and my family through a parking lot was worth his time was not lost on me.

And all this at 9:00AM on a Saturday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no angel on the road. I've participated in several horn and hand gesticulation battles of wills... but I would NEVER in a million years chase someone down (with the possible exception if someone actually hit my car, and even then just to get the license plate).

For one, what a waste of time. And secondly, who knows if they have a gun... they don't know if I have a gun... the person may be a single female and me chasing them down could be seen as INCREDIBLY aggressive, etc, etc, etc.

Unbelievable.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first US road rage incident...

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Unbelievable.
Unfortunately, it isn't.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable.
Sounds a bit like one I had here. Apparently I "cut up" a chap in his top of the range cadillac in the wifes RAV4. I think he was a bit miffed that I got the drop on him off the line. Parked up in the supermarket and proceeded to the shop, no idea I had a rager in tow. I stopped outside the shop for a minute and he came up to me and we had an exchange very much like yours
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Opening the door, lean out to tell the crunt behind me to puck off, you dopy wide face crunted twunk and then some more lip...after he almost rammed me...the missus mentioned people had guns and I've been a bit more formal in my road rage, the finger does the trick, but only when warranted, not when someone boofs at a light.

Oh, did have someone not to happy with me on I-95 up to Maine when I wouldn't let him cut me up going to a toll, never mind the lane he was in was visibly closed for miles, he still wouldn't go into the space behind me and had to stop at the closed toll....he caught up with me, over took me and tried to box me in between a couple trucks...he just under estimated that my car could shit all over his pile of crap and left him almost crashing into the truck
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've ever had such an incident in 11 years of driving (I've never had an accident or a ticket BTW)!
You know you've tempted fate and will have either one or the other happen tomorrow don't ya?

I hadn't had an accident in 12 years of driving, couple days after that conversation I'm a proud owner to a new driver side front and rear door, mirror cover and wheel cover
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You know you've tempted fate and will have either one or the other happen tomorrow don't ya?
As I was typing that, I tapped my wooden desk... problem solved
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Come drive in GR some proper nutters around here... shouldn't be let out of the house never mind put in charge of a car!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:37 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Once I saw two cars parker on the side of the road and the drivers punching each other really hard... I'm sure it was a driving related incident and to this day wonder what would prompt two grown men to behave that way, I was totally shocked!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:58 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Opening the door, lean out to tell the crunt behind me to puck off, you dopy wide face crunted twunk and then some more lip...after he almost rammed me...the missus mentioned people had guns and I've been a bit more formal in my road rage, the finger does the trick, but only when warranted, not when someone boofs at a light.

Oh, did have someone not to happy with me on I-95 up to Maine when I wouldn't let him cut me up going to a toll, never mind the lane he was in was visibly closed for miles, he still wouldn't go into the space behind me and had to stop at the closed toll....he caught up with me, over took me and tried to box me in between a couple trucks...he just under estimated that my car could shit all over his pile of crap and left him almost crashing into the truck
Don't you just love 5 cars wide all going for the shortest line at the toll booths on the turnpike?

You ever been stuck at the NH booth heading up to Maine yet? if you haven't you'll going to love it.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: My first US road rage incident...

Hey......Americans can't even open their Car Door, at Walmart, without bashing it into the vehicle next to them. My Chevy S-10, which was in Pristine Condition when I got it, is now covered in door-dings from inconsiderate dick-heads.:curse:

Never, ever had this problem back in the UK......no matter where I parked. Makes you wonder what is between their ears, doesn't it??????

Jim.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Once I saw two cars parker on the side of the road and the drivers punching each other really hard... I'm sure it was a driving related incident and to this day wonder what would prompt two grown men to behave that way, I was totally shocked!!
Having had to sit next to their wives in a confined space for the last hour or two.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: My first US road rage incident...

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Having had to sit next to their wives in a confined space for the last hour or two.
A kid goes home to his Dad, really proud that he got a part in the school play -

"Dad, Dad I have got a part in the school play. I have the role of a man who has been married to his wife for 20 years!"

The Dad replies -

"Hang in there, son........you'll soon get yourself a speaking part!"

Jim.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hey......Americans can't even open their Car Door, at Walmart, without bashing it into the vehicle next to them. My Chevy S-10, which was in Pristine Condition when I got it, is now covered in door-dings from inconsiderate dick-heads.:curse:

Never, ever had this problem back in the UK......no matter where I parked. Makes you wonder what is between their ears, doesn't it??????

Jim.
Must have been lucky. I was once in a service station on the M4, parked in a quite area with no one one either side of me and yakking on the phone, when some fat twat in a Mondeo swung in really close to my car, and then proceeded to smash his door not once but twice into the side of mine whilst trying to get his lard arse out of this car. He left a huge dent that exposed bare metal. The resulting conversation was not pretty, and to cap it all he denied that he had done it, even with me sitting in the car and the paint and position matching his door. Grr.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Sounds a bit like one I had here. Apparently I "cut up" a chap in his top of the range cadillac in the wifes RAV4. I think he was a bit miffed that I got the drop on him off the line. Parked up in the supermarket and proceeded to the shop, no idea I had a rager in tow. I stopped outside the shop for a minute and he came up to me and we had an exchange very much like yours
Now should you know here in FL ...If you are threatened ...shoot them ...
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
I think you should be able to equip cars with reactive armour plating for just this reason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.