Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My first two weeks in the USA!

Wikiposts

My first two weeks in the USA!

Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:10 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first two weeks in the USA!

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Everytime I call the cable company, or the telephone company they say they need the SSN to confirm the address. ..............
Tell them to sod off!!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:13 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Everytime I call the cable company, or the telephone company they say they need the SSN to confirm the address. That and the fact that you can easily get dead guys numbers from a government site on the internet. Seems like they can't be that important. But I agree, I am a bit of a silly sod at times
The sadistic one is right mate

Try doing as I do and just change one or two numbers......like you do with your home phone number when they want that for some obscure reason.

It trips naturally off the tongue and they cant check a SS# anyway unless they are a Govt thingy.......
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

From one young expat academic to another - welcome You will find the academic work ethic here much more relaxed than the hard-arsed 12 hour days corporate world that we sometimes think is typical of the US. We may get less money and inadequate relocation packages, but the work flexibility, less pressure from the bosses and extra vacation days more than compensate.

You'll find that Southwest Airlines are your friend for those visits to/from Nebraska
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:50 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Welcome to BE Glad you're settling in.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:13 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you lot, its good to hear all your stories and how similar some of them are to mine. Someone said in this thread that it was a good story to tell your kids one day and I totally agree with that - sometimes you just have to take stock and realise how lucky you are!

Oh and I am fully aware that this is the cold season - mind you nothing can be as cold as the damn A/C in this lab right now (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear your update! Next step - attend a BE meet

Being apart from your fiancee will have its benefits - my bloke is in California, I'm in Norwich UK at the moment.....we get along fine, can concentrate on our respective careers, and really enjoy the time that we do spend together!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Oh and I am fully aware that this is the cold season - mind you nothing can be as cold as the damn A/C in this lab right now (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr).
No expense is spared in keeping machines cold. And in summer it's often colder in the office than it is in winter!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No expense is spared in keeping machines cold. And in summer it's often colder in the office than it is in winter!
Eeek!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:11 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My first two weeks in the USA!

Don't complain about A/C, it will soon become your friend.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My first two weeks in the USA!

Hi,

Welcome.

Since you have internet ,the best deal i find is Vonage.Then it will only cost about $30 a month and you can have unlimited calls to the UK.
I love being able to call back there as much as i want and at any time.

Good luck with the new apartment.

keep smiling.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:10 am
Just Joined

alone_star_state is an unknown quantity at this point

That's so true, (about the walking being shameless etc). I haven't quite adjusted to the roads here in Houston, so I can imagine the rest of Texas. I actually really want to walk but there are no footpaths, traffic lights, NO (or at least not much) PUBLIC TRANSPORT nothing. It's as if you've gone mad, or people look at you really strange if you are walking............. now that will take a while to get used to.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:13 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alone_star_state
That's so true, (about the walking being shameless etc). I haven't quite adjusted to the roads here in Houston, so I can imagine the rest of Texas. I actually really want to walk but there are no footpaths, traffic lights, NO (or at least not much) PUBLIC TRANSPORT nothing. It's as if you've gone mad, or people look at you really strange if you are walking............. now that will take a while to get used to.
When you find yourself grabbing your car keys to take a drive to the mailbox at the bottom of the driveway..........now you have got there.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:13 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Wear trainers, cycling shorts and carry a couple of weights, then people will think you're working out
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Wear trainers, cycling shorts and carry a couple of weights, then people will think you're working out
You forgot the Ipod!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's so true, (about the walking being shameless etc). I haven't quite adjusted to the roads here in Houston, so I can imagine the rest of Texas. I actually really want to walk but there are no footpaths, traffic lights, NO (or at least not much) PUBLIC TRANSPORT nothing.
This is more for recreational walking but it might keep you fit and sane.

http://www.texasoutside.com/hikebike...kingtrails.htm

In Austin there is a decent system of bike routes and lanes but very little of that in Houston. TBH I wouldn't feel safe on a bicycle or as a pedestrian in the heavy (and fast, and aggressive) Houston traffic.

This would be another good way to meet people, seeking out fellow hiking and biking enthusiasts.

But I have a feeling you won't want to do too much outdoors pretty soon.... even at night the humidity is so high that you can't cool down cos the sweat won't evaporate!

So get out there and walk now!