Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My first two weeks in the USA!

My first two weeks in the USA!

Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:50 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute
Default My first two weeks in the USA!

Well I thought i would take this opportunity to introduce myself properly and then give you a brief synopsis of my first couple of weeks here.

Basically, I left everything behind to pursue my career here on a temporary basis (3 years). I am from South London originally and studied for my PhD in Nottingham and got offered a wonderful, dream position here in San Antonio, Texas, which I really couldnt refuse. I left my fiancee, family and friends and arrived here with just a couple of suitcases, which is a bit humbling really having accumulated material things that amounted to a pretty nice little life in the UK. When I arrived, it was boiling hot (for me!) and I was dumped into some hotel and left there with no food, no transport, nothing. In academia, there is NO relocation package of any sort, you corporate types should feel VERY lucy believe me. You are left to your own devices completely in this game.

The next day, I went to find my work and boss and got hit with loads of paperwork and work related crap which just felt overwhelming given the circumstances. I was and am shocked by the bureaucracy here in the US. My instincts were just to turn around and go home and I swear I was very close to doing just that; my boss was passive at best and didnt have the time to help me out. I just wasnt sure I was doing the right thing. I had to find an apartment, get a bank account and find a car with no transport, which is a big deal when its 80 degrees outside and you have to walk everywhere. Its almost shameful to walk here and I hate that.

Therefore, the first couple of days were certainly very hard and all i could think of was home. But one girl at work (another brit) took me under her wing and has helped me settle. I must have got lucky in the end because everything was actually quite easy from then on. I opened a bank account (with no SSN) and found a really nice apartment (with no deposit, no SSN and no hassle). I have settled into work just about and have just found a cheap second hand car to run around in (Dodge Neon) and an insurance company to insure me (GEICO). My SSN should be arriving soon and I will get my driving licence as soon as possible. My friend has taken me everywhere, from food shopping to car viewings and has been so patient with me, which I'm sure has made things simpler.

Granted, im still sitting on my apartment floor with no furniture and sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag (IKEA order in!), but its all life experience, right? I have good cable (got given a TV) and internet and I have the FOX soccer channel, so there is always positives to take. Also, I have just been to a seminar where they give you dinner beforehand and a good one at that! Never would that happen at a UK university. Of course, I miss my fiancee terribly but she has just been offered a job in Nebraska (she is an animal scientist!) so at least we can see each other maybe on a monthly basis. Plus its so easy to stay in touch these days that sometimes it doesnt even feel as though you are that far apart (or maybe it just hasnt settled in yet, im not sure).

Some things that crack me up about this place so far. The obsession with the SSN is the major one. No-one has given me a good reason why you need it so much and, in fact, no one can really explain to me what its real purpose is. It seems to me to be just a kind of stealth ID card. Also, the media is a joke; CNN is a laughing stock, simple as that. Some things that annoy me, public transport is shit and good food is hard to find, although HEB is pretty decent.

That's me, thanks for listening.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:13 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first two weeks in the USA!

Hello, good evening and welcome.
Hope things keep improving - must be tough coming over by yourself.
If you're a sports fan some cable packages also give you TVG with the fox soccer channel - its the Yank racing channel but they show UK racing in the mornings - I like watching it at the weekends, along with the golf channel which shows european tour events complete with Brit commentators.

Good luck again.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

glad things are working out for you

and nebraska...that's a bit of a random spot

oh, and the SSN, aye, it's crap, don't give the number to anyone..but speaking of crap, can't remember what visa your on, but if your under 26, don't forget to register for SS, just in case you change your mind and stick around for the greencard and all that jazz.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US!

A familiar sounding story. Mine started with a one way flight to Eugene to study. (I'd never been west of Ohio at that point.) A couple of Californians on the plane told me how it rains so hard in Oregon... I arrived to a huge ass thunderstorm, the likes of which I never saw again in the ten years I lived there. In the airport I heard something about the Grateful Dead being in town and thought, "Oh crap!". On many levels - the primary one being somewhere to stay. Jumped in a cab and asked the cabbie to help me find a motel for the night. Sure enough, they were all booked, but eventually we found one that had one room for one night only. Gave that cabbie a huge tip - he saved my bacon for that night.

Next morning, got up early and grabbed a paper to look at apartments. Worked out where my uni dept was and dropped off my two suitcases there. Walked around town with the newspaper and managed to get myself the keys to an apt early that afternoon - reclaimed the suitcases and breathed a huge sigh of relief. That evening I found a grocery store that sold Guinness cans - still a novelty back then, and cooked myself a curry. It was a good evening.

Next day bought a stereo so I could actually play the CDs stuffed in my suitcases. The following day a mountain bike so I was mobile, and opened an account at the local credit union. It would be seven years before I got round to buying a car. But the next couple of weeks were some of the best of my life. Discovered I'd parked my two-suitcase world two blocks from a brewpub. Explored the area by bike. Noone had any expectations of me, and I had none of them. If only it were like that now....
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:30 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
glad things are working out for you

and nebraska...that's a bit of a random spot

oh, and the SSN, aye, it's crap, don't give the number to anyone..but speaking of crap, can't remember what visa your on, but if your under 26, don't forget to register for SS, just in case you change your mind and stick around for the greencard and all that jazz.
Bob! Wake up! You do not need to register for SS as a lawful non-immigrant unless you're here for agricultural stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Thanks for posting your thoughts on your move. I can sympathise with a lot of what you are going through as an academic who moved from the UK to the US in 2005. It sounds like I was lucky, though, in that I got a good relocations package and get hit with far less paperwork here than in the UK. Yes, FSC is a great thing to have. Good to have BBC America too, though they desperately need to show more contemporary stuff more frequently and avoid endless repeats of things like Cash in the Attic. If you're interested, my wife's blog chronicles our attempts to cope with life in America, how to cope without British TV and radio, buying cars, SSNs and the like. It's called The Americanization of Emily, at http://uktous.blogspot.com/ . Cheers.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
...I had to find an apartment, get a bank account and find a car with no transport, which is a big deal when its 80 degrees outside and you have to walk everywhere.
Welcome to Texas, and remember it is the cold season right now! Warm weather arriving any day now (and for many months).

- Tim
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:51 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Well I thought i would take this opportunity to introduce myself properly and then give you a brief synopsis of my first couple of weeks here.

Basically, I left everything behind to pursue my career here on a temporary basis (3 years). I am from South London originally and studied for my PhD in Nottingham and got offered a wonderful, dream position here in San Antonio, Texas, which I really couldnt refuse. I left my fiancee, family and friends and arrived here with just a couple of suitcases, which is a bit humbling really having accumulated material things that amounted to a pretty nice little life in the UK. When I arrived, it was boiling hot (for me!) and I was dumped into some hotel and left there with no food, no transport, nothing. In academia, there is NO relocation package of any sort, you corporate types should feel VERY lucy believe me. You are left to your own devices completely in this game.

The next day, I went to find my work and boss and got hit with loads of paperwork and work related crap which just felt overwhelming given the circumstances. I was and am shocked by the bureaucracy here in the US. My instincts were just to turn around and go home and I swear I was very close to doing just that; my boss was passive at best and didnt have the time to help me out. I just wasnt sure I was doing the right thing. I had to find an apartment, get a bank account and find a car with no transport, which is a big deal when its 80 degrees outside and you have to walk everywhere. Its almost shameful to walk here and I hate that.

Therefore, the first couple of days were certainly very hard and all i could think of was home. But one girl at work (another brit) took me under her wing and has helped me settle. I must have got lucky in the end because everything was actually quite easy from then on. I opened a bank account (with no SSN) and found a really nice apartment (with no deposit, no SSN and no hassle). I have settled into work just about and have just found a cheap second hand car to run around in (Dodge Neon) and an insurance company to insure me (GEICO). My SSN should be arriving soon and I will get my driving licence as soon as possible. My friend has taken me everywhere, from food shopping to car viewings and has been so patient with me, which I'm sure has made things simpler.

Granted, im still sitting on my apartment floor with no furniture and sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag (IKEA order in!), but its all life experience, right? I have good cable (got given a TV) and internet and I have the FOX soccer channel, so there is always positives to take. Also, I have just been to a seminar where they give you dinner beforehand and a good one at that! Never would that happen at a UK university. Of course, I miss my fiancee terribly but she has just been offered a job in Nebraska (she is an animal scientist!) so at least we can see each other maybe on a monthly basis. Plus its so easy to stay in touch these days that sometimes it doesnt even feel as though you are that far apart (or maybe it just hasnt settled in yet, im not sure).

Some things that crack me up about this place so far. The obsession with the SSN is the major one. No-one has given me a good reason why you need it so much and, in fact, no one can really explain to me what its real purpose is. It seems to me to be just a kind of stealth ID card. Also, the media is a joke; CNN is a laughing stock, simple as that. Some things that annoy me, public transport is shit and good food is hard to find, although HEB is pretty decent.

That's me, thanks for listening.
All in all sounds pretty exciting. If nothing else it's a good tale for your grandkids one day. The SSN thing is daft. They are always banging on about not telling a living sould your number, and then everybody asks for it. Order a pizza and some guy wants your SSN. Silly really, I don't think it is as big a deal as they say. Prolly about the worse that could happen is some illegal immigrant could work on yur number and add more tax dollars to the IRS - like they are gonna complain. Anyway, welcome to BE. This place will help a lot when you get down and usually manages to put a smile on ones fizzog.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to hear that you're settling in.
When I first arrived last June I got out the car to walk into a restaurant, walked ten paces and said I've changed my mind I'm on the next plane out of here it's far too hot for me here and that was at 9pm!
Needless to say I spent the first two weeks in the pool with just my head sticking out.
Hope things keep getting better for you. Sounds like your friend from work has been taking good care of you, she probably remembers all to well how daunting it was when she came across.
Keep us posted on how things are going.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
..........They are always banging on about not telling a living sould your number, and then everybody asks for it. Order a pizza and some guy wants your SSN. Silly really, I don't think it is as big a deal as they say. Prolly about the worse that could happen is some illegal immigrant could work on yur number and add more tax dollars to the IRS - like they are gonna complain.
Stop being silly, Sod!!!

Never, ever tell anyone your SSN - other than the IRS, the SSA, bank, employer, insurance companies.

To do otherwise is open invitation for identity fraud, which I believe is a far worse problem here in the US than anywhere else.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 4:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, you know this is the cold season right? You have heat coming later. By next year, you'll have a sweater on when it is only 80 outside...

The SSN is a stealth ID, eventhough there are all sorts of laws that are supposed to keep the number from being requrired, you find it is pretty much required for anything financial.

Do keep it secret as best you can. Don't be afraid to challenge someone when they ask for it.

You'll also find some stores ask for your address (mailing list) or phone number (tracking shoppers). You can say 'no' (they won't be upset) and if they really press you, just say (202)-456-1414, ask for George.

(white house switchboard)
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Dukeynorton
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to spring in texas...the hot weather is on it's way

good that you are getting settled in. things surely can be dauting to begin with

btw DO NOT give your SS number to anyone other than bank/irs and employer and officials like that. for the others, if they want your business they will succumb to other forms of ID.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:09 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Stop being silly, Sod!!!

Never, ever tell anyone your SSN - other than the IRS, the SSA, bank, employer, insurance companies.

To do otherwise is open invitation for identity fraud, which I believe is a far worse problem here in the US than anywhere else.
Everytime I call the cable company, or the telephone company they say they need the SSN to confirm the address. That and the fact that you can easily get dead guys numbers from a government site on the internet. Seems like they can't be that important. But I agree, I am a bit of a silly sod at times
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:10 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Everytime I call the cable company, or the telephone company they say they need the SSN to confirm the address. That and the fact that you can easily get dead guys numbers from a government site on the internet. Seems like they can't be that important. But I agree, I am a bit of a silly sod at times
Having read some of these posts here though, I will tell them to sod off n future. I stand corrected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.