Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA, working from home/computer

Moving to USA, working from home/computer

Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:24 am
Just Joined

billyboom is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to USA, working from home/computer

Anyone here moved to the USA and making their money through various online ventures? Ebay, freelance jobs...etc..

There's a chance I might be moving to LA for 2-3 months to begin with...maybe longer in the future.

Over here in the UK, I work from home pretty much. Ebay stuff, running shopping websites selling various goods..etc.. I also do freelance graphic design jobs. Always paid by paypal/google checkout, which then gets transfered to my bank account.

This would be an easy way for me to make money whilst I'm in LA. Just need a laptop and I'm good.

I'm not doing anything illegal am I? Well.....illegal enough to get caught that is.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA, working from home/computer

What visa are you on when you arrive?

If the visa doesn't allow you to work, then your not really able to do what you are doing...having meetings is okay, but working not so, doesn't matter where you get paid.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:46 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyboom

I'm not doing anything illegal am I? Well.....illegal enough to get caught that is.
if you dont have a proper working visa then you may not hit trouble straight away (ie might not get caught) BUT if you do ever get caught it could well demolish any possible chances of staying/living in the US in the future!
Do you want to take that chance?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
BUT if you do ever get caught it could well demolish any possible chances of staying/living in the US in the future!

hmmmm...that's a bit worrying, and does cause me slight concern ---->

I'm basically just going for a long holiday. No special visa or anything. My girlfriend lives out there. Just wanted to go and stay there for a while and test the waters. Getting married is an option, but we don't really want to do that unless it's really necessary.

Is getting a proper working visa really hard? I guess it probably is. :curse:
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You've said you're going for a long holiday '2-3 months, maybe longer in the future' but are you aware that you can only stay in the US for a maximum of 90 days? So you won't even be staying 3 months.

The work you are proposing to do would contravene the rules of the VWP (how you would be entering the US) and break the law. Personally, I wouldn't risk working on the VWP as it's illegal and if you get caught then you could be banned from the US. All is takes is one 'friend' or customer to shop you to immigration and you're up the creek without a paddle. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

As for working visas, yes, they are very hard to get. Read the sticky at the top of the immigration forum and it'll take you to a link outlining all the possible visas. Then see if you would be eligible for any of them.

Good luck.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

chances are you won't get caught.

but advertising it on a website which is probably read by the USCIS isn't the best idea either.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:55 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

and at some point you might need to declare your work history/income to immigration and what will you claim for that period?

and at the end of your 90 days - you need to go home. cant extend the visa waiver. any longer and you face a ban etc.

go ring shopping now - its the easiest way! (although will still take a while!!!!)
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You will be physically working in the US regardless of where you are being paid (google checkout, etc). As such you're going to need a visa. As others have said your chances of getting nicked vary, but you should note if you wish to come back to the US (i.e. marry the girl and then do the visa thing) they will be requesting quite a detailed paper trail of your life over the last few months and then things can show up. In addition, should you be caught, you'll be in a world of difficulty. Not jail or anything, but restrictions on your travel back to the US for quite a long time.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm...that's a bit worrying, and does cause me slight concern ---->

I'm basically just going for a long holiday. No special visa or anything. My girlfriend lives out there. Just wanted to go and stay there for a while and test the waters. Getting married is an option, but we don't really want to do that unless it's really necessary.

Is getting a proper working visa really hard? I guess it probably is. :curse:
If you have long-term aspirations for the US, it's just not worth it.

If you're never coming back, well, you're not coming back.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Hello, thanks for all the replies.

Guess I'll have to give the working online ideas, a miss.

But I need this trip to be productive. Don't just want to sit in an appartment all day long or go sight-seeing.

Just wondering if it's possible for me to take driving lessons while I'm out there, and get a license. Do I need a special visa for that? I've never had a driving license here in London. Never needed a car....although I do know how to drive...a bit.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if it's possible for me to take driving lessons while I'm out there, and get a license. Do I need a special visa for that? I've never had a driving license here in London. Never needed a car....although I do know how to drive...a bit.
The requirements to get a driver's license vary by state. Be aware, that the vast majority of states require you to be here on specific tourist or immigrant visa in order to be eligible for a license. You can't just pop over as a tourist on the VWP and get a license. The VWP is not a visa, as some mistake it for. Look at the requirements for the DMV for the state you will be staying in, but I find it very, very unlikelly you'll be eligible for a license. You can probably take lessons, sure, but the actual license is probably out of the question.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
...You can probably take lessons, sure, but the actual license is probably out of the question.
probably unlikely either because you'd need a learners permit if you don't have a license already, and often to get one you'd need to be resident of the state for x amount of time, usually 30 days...
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

But I need this trip to be productive. Don't just want to sit in an appartment all day long or go sight-seeing.
You could take a course at a community college, or UCLA extension. That would be a good way to meet people and give you something productive to do.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/
http://www.laccd.edu/

I'm not sure if you need a student visa or if you can do this kind of course on the visa waiver program, I'm sure someone else on this forum will be along soon to offer input on that.

I've taken course at the UC Berkeley extension and they were very good.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, thanks for all the replies.

If I were you, I would take the test in the UK, you are allowed to drive in the US on a UK license, I think it may only be for a certain amount of time though, like a vacation trip?
As for being bored, (or is it a 'paid' job you want?) you could always look into doing some volunteer work, that would get you out and about, may even be a good thing for you as far as 'networking'?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
You could take a course at a community college, or UCLA extension. That would be a good way to meet people and give you something productive to do.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/
http://www.laccd.edu/

I'm not sure if you need a student visa or if you can do this kind of course on the visa waiver program, I'm sure someone else on this forum will be along soon to offer input on that.

I've taken course at the UC Berkeley extension and they were very good.
I think he would need a student visa.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp3.html

Originally Posted by Englishtart
If I were you, I would take the test in the UK, you are allowed to drive in the US on a UK license, I think it may only be for a certain amount of time though, like a vacation trip?
As for being bored, (or is it a 'paid' job you want?) you could always look into doing some volunteer work, that would get you out and about, may even be a good thing for you as far as 'networking'?
He could only work for a non profit making organisation...it must not be a job that an USC could be paid to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.