Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:24 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Is this 'posh' for waking patients back up?? Sorry, couldn't resist.
No, during surgery you are taken care of by either an certified anesthesiologist assistant or a certified nurse anesthetist. They do the same job putting you under and keeping you alive.
The Anesthesiologist is probably sat in their office dealing with paperwork.

You are thinking of a registered nurse. They recover patients.

Last edited by excpomea; Jun 8th 2022 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:27 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Poor form to prove a point based on ones own limited experience. It is why we all get ourselves in such a pickle over many issues.
Not at all, I'm sure this works for anyone wanting to move to Florida. A blind statement that you have to send your kids to a private school in Florida is poor form.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perryh90
... In regards to renting a property, does anyone have any info on the below questions:

1: What other charges are there on-top of the monthly rent? I think you need one months deposit if I am correct.
2: How long do people usually rent out there properties for? is it like the UK 1 year term/ 6 months?
3: Has anyone moved to the USA and rented, how have you found it? ....
1. Depends on whether you rent a detached home or an apartment. Apartments obviously aren't going to need mowing / landscape maintenance, though you could do that yourself if you rent a detached home. It is common for apartments to include the water supply in the rent, whereas you would pay that yourself if you rent a detached home. Watch out for the cost of electricity, that could easily run $300/mth in the summer as you will almost certainly be running the AC system a lot, unless you like living in a sauna, and are prepared to deal with mold growing on anything made of paper or fabric. I don't recall if Florida has property taxes, but if it does they will be included in the rent, not assessed directly on the tenant; the same will apply to HoA dues if you rent a home in a subdivision (housing estate) with an HoA. If you rent a home with a pool you should ask who pays as I suspect that many landlords would contract that themself and include it in the rent, as a pool can become a nightmare if maintenance is neglected.
2. I think a one year lease is standard, but you might be able to do shorter. Landlords often allow a lease to become month-to-month after the initial 12 month lease, so look out for that in the lease, as there may be a specific clause on that point. You may be able to negotiate a longer lease period. Generally I would say that a private landlord might be more willing to discuss variations to a lease term, but if considering a private landlord, be sure to ask if they are a long-term landlord, or just renting the home pending selling it in a year or two, as you could end up having to move if the landlord decides to sell the home while you are living in it! ..... That said, there are good private landlords out there, which brings me to ....
3. We rented when we first arrived (in New York) and had a very good landlord, who had a small apartment building where he owned the ground floor and there were four apartments. We negotiated a six month lease, which the went month-to-month. It was a good arrangement, and allowed us to wait for our stuff to arrive from the UK, research areas and properties and decide what we wanted to do .... which for us happened to be "pack up all our stuff and leave New York"!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2022 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
No, during surgery you are taken care of by either an certified anesthesiologist assistant or a certified nurse anesthetist. They do the same job putting you under and keeping you alive.
The Anesthesiologist is probably sat in their office dealing with paperwork.
So close to having the top job!
Old Jun 8th 2022, 5:49 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

Good God No, that's 10+ years in school / residency/ specialization and many hundreds of thousands $$ in student loans.
He was going to med school but decided to take this less expensive quicker route to being self sufficient.

Old Jun 8th 2022, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

baggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond repute

What is this obsession of people wanting to immigrate and move to Florida?.....Are people just going on vacation there a few times and then thinking that moving there will be effectively being on vacation all the time ?......I dunno...I'm all for dreaming, but reality sure can smack you in the face.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the OP has been dreaming of it for a long time as he first posted in 2015 when he was 25 and they had one child aged 2. He obviously followed the advice about working for a US company and getting a visa. However, basing your life on 15 vacation trips to Orlando is a bit dubious when there is the whole of the US to explore.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

baggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Well, the OP has been dreaming of it for a long time as he first posted in 2015 when he was 25 and they had one child aged 2. He obviously followed the advice about working for a US company and getting a visa. However, basing your life on 15 vacation trips to Orlando is a bit dubious when there is the whole of the US to explore.
That's what I was thinking. I mean Florida isn't much of a taster of the US as a whole.....and wanting to move to another country often means you end up living wherever you're told. It's great if the OP actually has the realistic opportunity to specifically be in Florida....but....it would have to be understood that it's not an immersion into the wider country/culture. I've seen so many Brits move to the US (not just Florida) thinking it was just like a vacation, only to go back after ~1 year because it turned out to be very different to what they expected. I see a rude awakening in the pipeline for the OP if his expectation is based on vacations to the House of Mouse.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good God No, that's 10+ years in school / residency/ specialization and many hundreds of thousands $$ in student loans.
He was going to med school but decided to take this less expensive quicker route to being self sufficient.
Please take the off topic conversation to PM or open a new thread. Thank you.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally Posted by baggy1971
What is this obsession of people wanting to immigrate and move to Florida?.....Are people just going on vacation there a few times and then thinking that moving there will be effectively being on vacation all the time ?......I dunno...I'm all for dreaming, but reality sure can smack you in the face.
Big time. A vacation and living here are worlds apart.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree with this. FL is great for 2-3 days golf and a Buccs game, after that it's time to get on out! Love to vacation, would hate to live
Old Jun 8th 2022, 8:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, with the peculiar irony that many people could find themselves in a job with only 10-15 days of vacation time, so actually have less time to enjoy the beaches/ boats/ theme parks that are on their doorstep than if they lived in the UK and visited Florida for holidays.

Also as a visitor you don't even notice the high cost of things such as groceries, car insurance, and the amount it costs to run your AC. Then in the longer term there are things like the recurring cost of replacing the "disposable" roofs that most US houses have, and AC systems that last about as long as roofs do.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

From the OP's point of view.....and based on the nature of the questions he's asked.....I think a lot more research is needed on his behalf - putting aside the emotional and considering the practical. If he has a H1b in process, he must know his contract terms, salary etc. and 'should' know his available benefits/deductions such as healthcare costs, taxes etc. so he can budget accordingly. If he hasn't delved into this, this is the wrong place to ask, he needs to be quizzing his employer.

His employer should also be offering an opportunity where he can visit and specifically look at accommodation, costs of living and potential areas he might want to live in that meet his needs (this is NOT an opportunity for a vacation).....although this research could be done to some extent in the UK via sites on the web.

I hope he gets what he wants, I just fear that he doesn't know what's possible and could end up walking into a bad situation with his eyes wide open....all for the sake of some research. Making a commitment to an employer, such that they spend significant money on making plans for you to move and you not doing the due diligence before making that commitment, would not be smart.

Last edited by baggy1971; Jun 8th 2022 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I certainly benefited from renting for a number of years and living in the US to get accustomed to life and related costs. Only then could I judge whether owning property was feasible
Old Jun 9th 2022, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by baggy1971
From the OP's point of view.....and based on the nature of the questions he's asked.....I think a lot more research is needed on his behalf - putting aside the emotional and considering the practical. If he has a H1b in process, he must know his contract terms, salary etc. and 'should' know his available benefits/deductions such as healthcare costs, taxes etc. so he can budget accordingly. If he hasn't delved into this, this is the wrong place to ask, he needs to be quizzing his employer.
No employer is going to provide advice on either taxes (sometimes employers pay for tax advice for people they relocate into the US, but that usually seems centered around preparation of your tax return, not tax advice and planning) or the suitability of health insurance options, as both matters are extremely personal, so I would suggest that a forum such as BE is precisely the place to get opinions on things such as health insurance and the sort of taxes and charges you might face as a new immigrant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.