Reload this Page >

Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Perry_1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

Good Evening All,
Me and my family are currently exploring the idea of moving to Florida, We have been on holiday to Florida around 15 times and we are only 32 years old. We have 2 young children who are 2 Years old and 9 Years old. We also have a family pet (Dog) who we would like to bring with us.
We have been speaking with a real estate agent in Florida and they advised that buying a property in the US in difficult when you are not a resident and to get an account in the US you need 2 years of credit. Is this correct?

If this is correct then we would be happy to look at renting a property for a few years and then look at buying one a bit later on down the line. In the UK we have around £100k from the sale of our hose, for this we would save to use as deposit in the future.

In regards to renting a property, does anyone have any info on the below questions:

1: What other charges are there on-top of the monthly rent? I think you need one months deposit if I am correct.
2: How long do people usually rent out there properties for? is it like the UK 1 year term/ 6 months?
3: Has anyone moved to the USA and rented, how have you found it?

I am also looking at general info in regards to salary deductions etc. In Florida, I would be on a job roughly paying around $110k, it would just be my salary as my wife would be looking after the kids. Down the line she may end up working but for the first year or 2 she would be at home. What taxes are due in Florida in regards to income? And does anyone know how much health care is for a family of 4 for full cover. I have been reading on here and people mention about getting full cover for the first year and then to change it a bit later on down the line when I understand it more.

Any help would be appreciated, we are very new to this but feel like its something we should do to provide our family with a new life and hopefully a better one. I know there will be challenges but in the UK it doesn't seem to be getting any easier at the moment so we feel the time to move would be now.

Also if there is anyone who is living in Florida and happy to answer some questions from me then please do send me a message.

Last edited by Perry_1990; Jun 8th 2022 at 1:53 am.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA (Florida) from UK - Very new to this

You cannot just up and move to Florida, even if you own property there. Perhaps you have a job offer and are going through the visa process. Unless your circumstances have changed, the replies you received in the thread you opened 7 years ago still apply.

Moving to Orlando??

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 8th 2022 at 2:07 am.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am also looking at general info in regards to salary deductions etc. In Florida, I would be on a job roughly paying around $110k, it would just be my salary as my wife would be looking after the kids.

He says he has a job paying around $110K so presume he is getting an H-1B visa

Note OP that spouses of H-1B holders cannot work until well down the road to getting a green card.

Health care for family of 4 on company scheme - budget at least $1000 per month?

You CAN purchase a property while on a visa - I did it.

Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Per the replies you already have above, please tell us the basis on which you are actually able, not think you are able, not hope you are able, but actually able to live and work in the US. Without this information there is a high likelihood (based on us seeing many questions similar to your each year, most of which are pipe dreams) of you wasting our time and your own.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Perry_1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I would be getting the H-1B through my current employer, I work for a US company in the UK and they will be moving me across to the US.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

There is no STATE income tax in FL, just the federal deductions.
There is no such thing as "Fully covered healthcare" You pay a monthly premium and a deductable before anything is covered. Depending on the scheme you join, which usually depends what your employer offers, it is anyones guess what the premium and deductions actually cost, as much as it is anyones guess how much a given service /treatment will cost, and if any or some of said cost is even covered by said scheme.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perryh90
Yes I would be getting the H-1B through my current employer, I work for a US company in the UK and they will be moving me across to the US.

Why an H-1B? Normally one gets an L1 if being transferred ..... an L1 also is an easier route to Green card.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 2:56 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why an H-1B? Normally one gets an L1 if being transferred ..... an L1 also is an easier route to Green card.
Plus the OP’s wife can’t work on an H-1B.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
And unless your employer is an educational or research institution, the availability of H-1Bs is capped, whereas the availability of L-1As and L-1Bs have no limit, or at least not one that has every been reached.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 7:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perryh90
I'm guessing that you haven't worked for the company long enough to get a L1 visa?

Do you already have the H1-B from this year's lottery/quota? Or would it be a cap exempt application? I only ask because if you don't have the visa already, and it's not cap exempt, you'd be looking at October 2023 at the earliest before you could start work (and that's assuming you got lucky in next year's draw - with a 1 in 4 chance that may not be the case). So you may be better off just waiting and going over on a L1 visa. The H1-B would be bottom of the employment based visa list for me, so if there is another option I'd explore it.

What's the job?

Definitely rent to start with, you'll be on a temp visa and if your employer gets rid of you you could have to leave the US so I really wouldn't buy until you have more security. If you do think you want this to be a permanent move, then make sure you get it in writing that your employer will sponsor you all for green cards.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 11:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm guessing that you haven't worked for the company long enough to get a L1 visa?

Do you already have the H1-B from this year's lottery/quota? Or would it be a cap exempt application? I only ask because if you don't have the visa already, and it's not cap exempt, you'd be looking at October 2023 at the earliest before you could start work (and that's assuming you got lucky in next year's draw - with a 1 in 4 chance that may not be the case). So you may be better off just waiting and going over on a L1 visa. The H1-B would be bottom of the employment based visa list for me, so if there is another option I'd explore it.

What's the job?

Definitely rent to start with, you'll be on a temp visa and if your employer gets rid of you you could have to leave the US so I really wouldn't buy until you have more security. If you do think you want this to be a permanent move, then make sure you get it in writing that your employer will sponsor you all for green cards.

So much to consider when buying a home, especially when you have children. You need to research the schools and determine the catchment area in regards to them attending that particular school. Advise is to rent first and buy later.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to harp on about schools every time someone asks these sorts of questions. I would recommend in a State like FL, private schooling is likely the only way to go. I will leave that there.

Re: rent. I was very fortunate to have extremely low rent in Boston in the late naughties, however, sharp rises were common year after year. I came to a compromise with landlord to have contracts written for two years (I was an exceptional tenant from their point of view), with smaller but longer guaranteed increases for them. Quality of tenants can be a terrifying prospect for landlords, it is good leverage if you pay your bills on time. However, the market is so crazy right now, these points could be moot! Friends who are renters are now paying ~2-300 USD over asking/month, and writing cover letters to even be considered. Cost of progress I guess..
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:47 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I don't want to harp on about schools every time someone asks these sorts of questions. I would recommend in a State like FL, private schooling is likely the only way to go. I will leave that there.
No need to harp on, it's a BS statement.
There are plenty of A rated public schools in Florida.
You just have to be sure you move into an area with A rated schools and go from there.

This is exactly what we did 22 years ago.
From the UK we researched schools in the area we would be living, then chose to rent in that catchment area for 6 months.
We then purchased a house in the same area.
Jnr went to the 3 best A rated schools in the area, then onto Florida State University and graduated in 3 years with a honors degree.
He is now at Emory university studying his masters in anesthesiology.
On his way to becoming an Anesthesiologist assistant and a 6 figure salary.

Not bad for a public school student.

So, OP my advice as having gone this route. choose where to live on the basis of A rated schools. You can research this from the UK
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
No need to harp on, it's a BS statement.
There are plenty of A rated public schools in Florida.
You just have to be sure you move into an area with A rated schools and go from there.

This is exactly what we did 22 years ago.
From the UK we researched schools in the area we would be living, then chose to rent in that catchment area for 6 months.
We then purchased a house in the same area.
Jnr went to the 3 best A rated schools in the area, then onto Florida State University and graduated in 3 years with a honors degree.
He is now at Emory university studying his masters in anesthesiology.

Not bad for a public school student.

So, OP my advice as having gone this route. choose where to live on the basis of A rated schools. You can research this from the UK
Poor form to prove a point based on ones own limited experience. It is why we all get ourselves in such a pickle over many issues.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by excpomea
Is this 'posh' for waking patients back up?? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.