Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:25 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA? Don't use Comcast.

Originally Posted by steveq
Fascinating stuff Michael, thanks for posting it. I seem to remember multicasting was being touted years ago, your link explains why it hasn't expanded.
Absolutely, although we do run it across our SAN. Even so, we do see all other traffic slow to a crawl, so we have to pick our moments.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Fascinating stuff Michael, thanks for posting it. I seem to remember multicasting was being touted years ago, your link explains why it hasn't expanded.
When I retired in 2001, I only remember UDP being available for multicasting so I assumed it would be highly unlikely but when the article said it uses PGM, then I knew there was a slim possibility.

The problems explained in the article seem to be just the tip of the iceberg. PGM can only guarantee delivery if someone has a fast enough internet connection and with DSL, cable, 4G, and routers that can slow down due to collusions, either poor quality video would have to be broadcast or the service provider would have to be highly selective who to multicast to. Then there is the issue of real time where even a momentary slow down in connection speed could possibly cause a packet loss.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the annual ritual of negotiating your cable tv/internet package.

I was with Comcast for quite a few years. Time came when my previous discount had expired and it was time to call up and request cancellation of service (the ruse whereby they offer you another discount to stay).

Well on this particular occasion the rep wouldn't offer me a discount because it was less than 6 months since the prior discount had expired. So I requested they cancel my service and that was that.

I've now been with AT&T U-verse for several years, and I go through the same annual ritual with them. In fact my last discount just expired this month, so time to make that call.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
SAT will probably have a major problem since what would they use those satellites for?
The boonies....though in some cases, they'll be capped on what they can charge.

Out where the in-laws live, large chunks of towns out there just don't have cable, so have to use satellite but the rates were capped to be in line with what cable were charging in places that have cable so they couldn't go crazy with the prices...not that it's really stopped them.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 11:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon around where I am won't give you a discount, unless you actually cut the service and send back the boxes, then you can get the new rate as you will be considered a new customer.

Bit of a chore being without service for a few days but we did that last year to save a chunk of change.