Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA on CR-1 visa, some questions

Moving to USA on CR-1 visa, some questions

Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice
Default Moving to USA on CR-1 visa, some questions

Have sent off paperwork late November - so looking at moving this time next year, no rush on anything - just want to do it all properly.

Will I have to pay US taxes on money I bring with me, even if I’ve already paid tax here in the UK? Wouldn’t probably be more than a few thousand pounds? Would I have to declare it on my next tax return? I already have a US bank account, would it look suspicious or would there be any additional tax questions if I gradually move money over – i.e. use it as a ‘savings account’?

I am currently employed as a dog trainer and also sell dog collars / leads on Ebay. Does anyone have any links to info on starting a small business / insurance? Might do this in addition to getting a job or if I have problems getting one. Information on the net seems to contradict itself.

Does anyone know of a good vet around Goose Creek / North Charleston / Summerville SC? How long before bringing dog over should I start heartworm prevention – can I get that in the UK? I was reading that some states won’t accept certain British rabies vaccines and he would have to be revaccinated – does anyone know what SCs requirements are? Anyone know a registry where I can register his microchip number and ear tattoo in the US? Is getting his rabies tag / dog license as easy as just taking his paperwork to a vet?

I cannot find the information online and the SC DMV website is confusing – Can I drive on my UK licence for some time before I have to get a new one? Some places say 30 days, 90 days or a year - does anyone know the state specifics. I would wait to get a car / insurance until I get my SSN and can get SC licence but I really need to get mobile quickly or I will go stir crazy in the house.

Is there any benefit to getting a GED? I have A levels etc. Planning on just getting a minimum wage job with a big employer at first, to make sure bills are paid etc.

Thank you in advance for the replies
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on CR-1 visa, some questions

Just like in the UK, you pay taxes on income - wages, salary, interest, dividends, etc, when you receive it; merely moving money you already have in your account to an account in the US does not create a liability to US taxes whether you move it in one lump sum or numerous smaller transactions.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

That makes sense thank you
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:56 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Just like in the UK, you pay taxes on income - wages, salary, interest, dividends, etc, when you receive it; merely moving money you already have in your account to an account in the US does not create a liability to US taxes whether you move it in one lump sum or numerous smaller transactions.
Transactions of $10,000 or larger need to be documented and are reported by the bank to the government (it's an anti-money-laundering measure). Multiple smaller transactions that appear to be constructed to avoid the reporting requirement could be called into question, if anyone notices. There are likely to be no tax repercussions unless the source of the money is income (that is, you sold property or received a payment for services, etc.). When you go to the bank where you set up your US account, feel free to ask the bank clerk questions about this rule; they run into it all the time for all sorts of innocent reasons.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tanith
Is there any benefit to getting a GED?
Yes, but only if you can't get "a minimum wage job with a big employer". Be aware that your British education will be largely meaningless in the US... so it may ultimately be easier (and less confusing for an employer) to simply get a GED - 5 tests, all pretty easy.

I have A levels etc.
Well then, you're probably smart enough to get a college degree.

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

College is on the plan eventually, may even try to convert my qualifications into college credits if that's possible. Trying to be sensible in the short term regarding employment etc. and save towards college - potentially offspring too but they can wait longer.

I'll have a look at the GED materials online and try to remember American spelling for the tests
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tanith
I am currently employed as a dog trainer and also sell dog collars / leads on Ebay.
I know you didn't ask specifically about this but it's information seldom provided and may help, about eBay.

Your UK eBay account cannot natively be converted to be based in US dollars, but if you email ebay support or go on live chat with them they can convert your UK ebay account to a US-based one after you move.

This will automatically change everything to work in dollars, and also allows you to preserve/move over your feedback score.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's good news about ebay, I've worked hard for my rating.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

They don't have live web chat or email support any more, you have to call them, it took me about 15 mins.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, but only if you can't get "a minimum wage job with a big employer". Be aware that your British education will be largely meaningless in the US... so it may ultimately be easier (and less confusing for an employer) to simply get a GED - 5 tests, all pretty easy.
Given that many people who's greatest academic achievement is a GED are dropouts and/ or ex-convicts, personally I'd stick with the A' levels and not worry about the GED.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm, yes that was my concern about the GED too... why can't things just be simple?