Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

davis81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Thanks for all the help on my questions, it's helped me understand a few things.

On SS card thing I think it was as sunflwrgrl13 stated, that my father had sent away for the Social Security card when I was born etc. and my cousin just sent on the effects when he passed away.

Guess I better look into my US Passport, would rather do it the correct way than just walking into the US on a UK passport.

Thanks everyone
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

If you're a USC, you have to enter and exit the United States using a US passport.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Was over in Miami in 2007 and the customs/passport control guys did take me aside and just asked why I was in the country etc., I wonder if anything came on screen when they scanned my passport in relation to me being a possible US citizen?? Doubt it though. They only spoke to me for 2 minutes and I just told them that I was on vacation with my girlfriend/fiance.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Oh well, don't worry. I was just pointing out that being a citizen of a country isn't necessarily all fun and games, so it really is best if you find if you're a citizen or not.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Your father likely applied for your SS card not too long after you were born. It's quite easy to do. I'd bet your cousin simply forwarded it to you when your father died since it was in with his effects. Does that answer your question?
Does the fact he has an unrestricted Social Security card suggest that his father would have obtained a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for him, at the time?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Is there a way that I can find out that my father may have done the Consular Report at birth or if indeed I'm already on some sort of register in the US for citizenship?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davis81
Is there a way that I can find out that my father may have done the Consular Report at birth or if indeed I'm already on some sort of register in the US for citizenship?
I don't believe there is any sort of registry of US citizens. You already have the documentation you need... why not just apply for a US passport and save yourself a lot of endless meandering? If issued, a US passport *is* proof of US citizenship and has the added advantage of also being a valid travel document.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

N-600 form Application for Certificate of Citizenship which is $460 or the DS-11 Application for US Passport is roughly $100 i think.

Like "ian-mstm" say's the US Passport has the added advantage of also being a valid travel document. So Im thinking I should just apply for the US Passport as I dont see why someone would pay $460 for the N-600 compared to $100 for the Passport.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davis81
N-600 form Application for Certificate of Citizenship which is $460 or the DS-11 Application for US Passport is roughly $100 i think.

Like "ian-mstm" say's the US Passport has the added advantage of also being a valid travel document. So Im thinking I should just apply for the US Passport as I dont see why someone would pay $460 for the N-600 compared to $100 for the Passport.
Somebody who was not a US Citizen and became one?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Does the fact he has an unrestricted Social Security card suggest that his father would have obtained a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for him, at the time?
If he had, I would have thought it would be with the father's personal effects and the cousin would have forwarded it to the OP. As it stands, a consular report of birth abroad isn't required for the OP to apply for a passport.

I'm not 100% on the necessary docs for a USC to apply for a SSN for a child born abroad, but it's possible that the father simply used the long form birth certificate from the UK for the application. I would think the card would automatically be unrestricted, if the father met the criteria to pass on his citizenship. So given the card is unrestricted, it's extremely likely the OP is a USC and simply needs to apply for the passport.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 8th 2009 at 3:26 pm.