Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

davis81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US to work and live for life...

Hello,

This is my first post, so here we go.

Im currently living in Scotland, born in Scotland to a Scottish mother and American father, I was only young when they split up and my father went back to Georgia to live, they never got a divorce but he died in 1993, and when this happened my fathers niece, my cousin who was a City Attorney over in Georgia sent me over my Social Security Card and various other documents, but this was all when I was around 12'ish and had no wish to go over to America at this point.

But now I'm seriously thinking of going over to live my life over there with my fiance, just wandering what my next step should be to looking into getting over there and what my chances are of becoming a US Citizen, or dual nationality??

I know there is a U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, should this be my first port of call, it's a good 3 hour drive to get there and don't want to be told oh...you are in the wrong place for this etc.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US to work and live for life...

You will complete the application for a US Passport and send it in to the US Consulate. Don't know if the one in Edinburg will handle it or the one in London. You will need proof of your father's US citizenship, i.e. his birth certificate or copy of his passport, your parent's marriage certificate and your birth certificate showing your parents' names.

You can print out the application by going to the US Consulate's London homepage.

Originally Posted by davis81
Hello,

Im currently living in Scotland, born in Scotland to a Scottish mother and American father, I was only young when they split up and my father went back to Georgia to live, they never got a divorce but he died in 1993, and when this happened my fathers niece, my cousin who was a City Attorney over in Georgia sent me over my Social Security Card and various other documents, but this was all when I was around 12'ish and had no wish to go over to America at this point.

But now I'm seriously thinking of going over to live my life over there with my fiance, just wandering what my next step should be to looking into getting over there and what my chances are of becoming a US Citizen, or dual nationality??

I know there is a U.S. Consulate General in Edinburgh, should this be my first port of call, it's a good 3 hour drive to get there and don't want to be told oh...you are in the wrong place for this etc.

Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks.
You are likely already a US citizen, if your fathe met the criteria to pass on his citizenship to you. All you needs do is apply for your passport using the documentation that Rete suggested.

FYI, your fiance will need to become your wife if you plan on moving to the US at the same time. This will be an entirely new, and somewhat confusing process. She will need a CR-1 spousal visa in order to immigrate with you. There is a wiki here on the forum which explains the process.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

From what I've read it's just London one that issues the passports, I have my father's birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate and obviously my birth certificate with both parents names on it.

Will it be more straight forward for me to apply for my US passport since my father was/is American and that my cousin has sent me over my Social Security card?

I know I sound a bit vague but just starting to look into this.

And thanks for the quick response!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read it's just London one that issues the passports, I have my father's birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate and obviously my birth certificate with both parents names on it.

Will it be more straight forward for me to apply for my US passport since my father was/is American and that my cousin has sent me over my Social Security card?

I know I sound a bit vague but just starting to look into this.

And thanks for the quick response!
More straightforward than what?

Your social security card has no bearing on your possible US citizenship. The only good news with your SS card is that you don't have to apply for another one, this one is yours for life.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

More straightforward....meaning since I have my social security card and my father being American, compared to someone that has no SS card.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

More straightforward....meaning since I have my social security card and my father being American, compared to someone that has no SS card.
No. Having a SS card does not make it more straightforward.

Having a USC father is the ticket to your own US citizenship.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, I second Rene's post. Your having a social security numbers means nothing. It doesn't prove your citizenship. You need to apply for your US Passport at the London's US Consulate. You enter the US as a USC and can live and work there immediately as a citizen. Also note that as a USC you should have been filing all your tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service. Lucky you, as you are now around 28 you've missed your mandatory registration for selective services.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Another question, when my father died my cousin who was executor of the will and sent me and my mother our social security cards which are printed on a piece of card, my mothers states on it "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT", my SS card does not have this on it, so I'm guessing I am valid for employment.

My question is that for my cousin to get my SS card setup would she have had to do a lot of work to get this for me or is it a easy process to get one?

I would ask her but she is terminally ill.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:26 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Another question, when my father died my cousin who was executor of the will and sent me and my mother our social security cards which are printed on a piece of card, my mothers states on it "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT", my SS card does not have this on it, so I'm guessing I am valid for employment.

My question is that for my cousin to get my SS card setup would she have had to do a lot of work to get this for me or is it a easy process to get one?

if your a citizen then your valid for employment. forget the ssn card - its a red herring to your goal.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:26 pm

What do you mean by "set up"? You have your SS card in hand, that's all you need. There is nothing to set up or activate, regarding the SS card.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Your father likely applied for your SS card not too long after you were born. It's quite easy to do. I'd bet your cousin simply forwarded it to you when your father died since it was in with his effects. Does that answer your question?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:42 pm
Concierge

Can't for the life of me figure how she did it because you are the one that had to file for it and sign the application. Unless because you were a child she just applied for it for you because of your age. Unless it was as Sunflower stated.

BTW you are obssessing with the social security card. Let it go. It has no bearing on your proof of citizenship. You need a passport to prove that you are a US Citizen.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
Concierge

When you think about it, you could probably just enter the US on your UK passport (although you are suppose to enter the US as a US Citizen if you are one), find a place to live, get a job and just live here. Just so you know, however, your mother cannot do this and you would have to petition for her green card if you wanted her to live in the US.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
When you think about it, you could probably just enter the US on your UK passport (although you are suppose to enter the US as a US Citizen if you are one), find a place to live, get a job and just live here. Just so you know, however, your mother cannot do this and you would have to petition for her green card if you wanted her to live in the US.
He better make absolutely sure he's a USC before going down that path, in my opinion. If he comes to the USA on his UK passport, claiming to be a USC and then turns out (for whatever reason) not to be one....he'll shoot down any chance of ever coming to the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.