Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US with UK debt.

Moving to US with UK debt.

Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to US with UK debt.

I have about £16k worth of debt and as and when I 'find my way in' (L1 looking likely at the mo) I plan on bringing my debt, whatever level it be at, with me...as in taking out a dollar loan to cover paying the UK loan off in it's entirety.

What are the loan rates and successful application rate like in the US at the mo?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
I have about £16k worth of debt and as and when I 'find my way in' (L1 looking likely at the mo) I plan on bringing my debt, whatever level it be at, with me...as in taking out a dollar loan to cover paying the UK loan off in it's entirety.

What are the loan rates and successful application rate like in the US at the mo?
Good luck with that!

IT's tough enough these days for "native born" folks here in US with good, well established credit ratings.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Good luck with that!

IT's tough enough these days for "native born" folks here in US with good, well established credit ratings.
Very true, Cindy....
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Good luck with that!

Rates and application success still shakey then I guess?

Things have improved greatly here in the UK over the last 6 months in terms of availability of loans to those of us in the middle of the financial ladder at least...at one stage it was difficult for everyone which was bad even for those of us lucky enough not to have been effected all that much by the recession...

I suppose I leave the loan put then and find the cheapest way possible to transfer income into my UK account...although, by the time we've sold cars, HD TV's, home cinema and all the other stuff that we wouldn't be able to take with us i guess it may be possible to pay off or at least reduce the debt prior to departure!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Rates and application success still shakey then I guess?

Things have improved greatly here in the UK over the last 6 months in terms of availability of loans to those of us in the middle of the financial ladder at least...at one stage it was difficult for everyone which was bad even for those of us lucky enough not to have been effected all that much by the recession...

I suppose I leave the loan put then and find the cheapest way possible to transfer income into my UK account...although, by the time we've sold cars, HD TV's, home cinema and all the other stuff that we wouldn't be able to take with us i guess it may be possible to pay off or at least reduce the debt prior to departure!
Most of the people who move here struggle to get Gas and Electric without a US credit history, I would forget the getting a loan idea!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Most of the people who move here struggle to get Gas and Electric without a US credit history, I would forget the getting a loan idea!
+1

A $25k unsecured loan fresh off the boat is simply not going to happen.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
+1

A $25k unsecured loan fresh off the boat is simply not going to happen.
In all fairness, this makes sense with no credit history...I guess this means no flash car either?! (I'd get a motor with the job anyway, but the missus might like something nice!)

Utilities I find a little odd though....I assume there is a way of getting established relatives or indeed your employer to assist in guareenteeing some of these kind of things?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

In all fairness, this makes sense with no credit history...I guess this means no flash car either?! (I'd get a motor with the job anyway, but the missus might like something nice!)

Utilities I find a little odd though....I assume there is a way of getting established relatives or indeed your employer to assist in guareenteeing some of these kind of things?
We didn't encounter any problems with getting utilities. We just paid a higher deposit. We did find it a bit tricky (although it won't be in your case because you'll already have employment) renting.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You don't want a flash car, anyway. Your insurance rates are tied, among others, to your credit history and US driving history -- and you score zilch on both. With a cheaper car, you can insure for liability only and take the considerable savings.

You will pay a deposit on utilities with no credit history. Just pay it -- they'll release it after 6 months or a year.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You don't want a flash car, anyway. Your insurance rates are tied, among others, to your credit history and US driving history -- and you score zilch on both. With a cheaper car, you can insure for liability only and take the considerable savings.

You will pay a deposit on utilities with no credit history. Just pay it -- they'll release it after 6 months or a year.
Great advice folks!