Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US with UK debt.

Moving to US with UK debt.

Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US with UK debt.

With the possibility of moving to the US next year I have turned my attention to the debt I have in the UK. Nothing other than credit cards totalling no more than 10k.

My wifes new job will see us good financially but how do I go about paying off debt in the UK from the US?

Currently I pay the credit cards from my Bank of Scotland current account.

Would I just transfer money from the US into this account? Or is there another way around it?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:10 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US with UK debt.

The easiest thing will just be to continue transferring money into your UK account from the US. That's what I did with my US student loans when I was in the UK.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

AlistairL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by avanutria
The easiest thing will just be to continue transferring money into your UK account from the US. That's what I did with my US student loans when I was in the UK.
Thanks.

So I can do this via my US bank account?

Do you know how much I will be charged for this?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlistairL
Thanks.

xe.com
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on the bank.

Better off using a money exchange service though, as mentioned, XE.com will give you a better rate and you can work a 12 month contract rate with them if you'd rather not risk worrying about the rate changing a lot over the year.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I used to pay my Barclaycard bill by sending a US check - at the time, the exchange rate was not bad at all, and there didn't appear to be any charge for converting $$ to ££, but I don't know if that would still be the situation. Could be worth calling your CC to ask.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

pol1313 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I used to pay my Barclaycard bill by sending a US check - at the time, the exchange rate was not bad at all, and there didn't appear to be any charge for converting $$ to ££, but I don't know if that would still be the situation. Could be worth calling your CC to ask.
Do you have to declare that you have debt on your application or at interview stage for a K-3 or K-1 visa. I have a student loan debt and was wondering if that will effect my application
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pol1313
Do you have to declare that you have debt on your application or at interview stage for a K-3 or K-1 visa. I have a student loan debt and was wondering if that will effect my application
No and no.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

After the last 20 posts, I think the OP has probably given up hope on getting any answers to his original question.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
After the last 20 posts, I think the OP has probably given up hope on getting any answers to his original question.
I just pruned out the OT posts and sent them to the Trailer Park, and reinstated this thread to the USA forum, as many people have this question.

Sorry for the sidetrack!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:35 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

With the possibility of moving to the US next year I have turned my attention to the debt I have in the UK. Nothing other than credit cards totalling no more than 10k.

My wifes new job will see us good financially but how do I go about paying off debt in the UK from the US?

Currently I pay the credit cards from my Bank of Scotland current account.

Would I just transfer money from the US into this account? Or is there another way around it?

Thanks.
I would stop paying them the month you move over- after all they will never find you here and dont forget the CC companies have been sticking it to you for years -get your own back :-)

Yes Im joking but a man can dream......
but seriously, would they find you ??
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by callowman
Insufficient!

I didn't think I would have to spell it out. If you want to discuss not paying your debt, go to this lot: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682433

If you have a mature answer to give about how to accomplish the mechanics of paying a bill in the UK, while living in the US, post here.

thank you.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:42 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
Insufficient!

I didn't think I would have to spell it out. If you want to discuss not paying your debt, go to this lot: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682433

If you have a mature answer to give about how to accomplish the mechanics of paying a bill in the UK, while living in the US, post here.

thank you.
I Disagree !
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would stop paying them the month you move over- after all they will never find you here and dont forget the CC companies have been sticking it to you for years -get your own back :-)

There has been people who have posted on BE previously who have left debts behind in the UK with no intention of paying them off. I remember one complaining about debt collectors knocking on his elderly parent's door demanding payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.