Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:12 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US: Practical Questions (Kittens inside!)

Originally Posted by peejaygee
I will, but can I ask, why is it a bad idea? so I can explain to my fiancee.
Ten foot pole, dude, ten foot pole...

To do what you're planning on doing is to open youself up to being caught by the authorities and shipped back home. Honestly, use either the K-1 fiance visa or the CR-1 spouse visa instead. Much harder to send you home if you've done things properly.

And yes, telling us your plan on a public website might not be such a good idea. The internet has eyes and ears.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I will, but can I ask, why is it a bad idea? so I can explain to my fiancee.
I think I just outlined it in my other post.

The good news is, you have plenty of time to apply for the correct visa to come in November and get married, and apply to stay.
And bring Coco & company along with you.

Sorry about the thread moves. This can be a touchy subject and I've got trigger finger today.

EDIT:

I Am a U.S. Citizen...How Do I...Help My Fiancé(e) Become a Permanent Resident of the United States?

What if my fiancé(e) uses a different kind of visa, or enters as a visitor without visa, to come here so we can get married?

There could be serious consequences. Attempting to get a visa or enter the U.S. by saying one thing when you intend another may be considered immigration fraud, for which there are severe penalties. Those penalties include restricting a person’s ability to
get immigration benefits, including permanent residence, as well as a possible fine of up to $10,000 and imprisonment of up to five
years. It is not appropriate for your fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. as a visitor with the intent to marry you and remain to try to become
a permanent resident.

Last edited by meauxna; Jan 8th 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Ten foot pole, dude, ten foot pole...

To do what you're planning on doing is to open youself up to being caught by the authorities and shipped back home. Honestly, use either the K-1 fiance visa or the CR-1 spouse visa instead. Much harder to send you home if you've done things properly.

And yes, telling us your plan on a public website might not be such a good idea. The internet has eyes and ears.
I think OP has no idea what that means and just needs some gentle guidance in the right direction.
Note that his plan is for November, 11 months from now, so there is plenty of time for a course correction.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

peejaygee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Thank you for the advice on this....

I'm going to speak to my fiancee tonight, and get her to speak to her co-worker to ask again...we were under the impress that her co-worker knew what she was talking about, considering the department she works for...

Hmmmmmm..that has put a dampner on things...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:16 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think OP has no idea what that means and just needs some gentle guidance in the right direction.
Note that his plan is for November, 11 months from now, so there is plenty of time for a course correction.
Aye... which is why I suggested he search for it in post #6.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice on this....

I'm going to speak to my fiancee tonight, and get her to speak to her co-worker to ask again...we were under the impress that her co-worker knew what she was talking about, considering the department she works for...

Hmmmmmm..that has put a dampner on things...
Why would you want to rely on hearsay rather than immigration law?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

I'm going to go back and chat to her tonight.

If it's being said that the internet has ears and eyes, I am now being choosey as to what I put. Finding it very difficult to explain.

I'll have to see the outcome and the route we now go down..
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to go back and chat to her tonight.

If it's being said that the internet has ears and eyes, I am now being choosey as to what I put. Finding it very difficult to explain.

I'll have to see the outcome and the route we now go down..
assuming that a certain government department is USCIS you would be the 2nd one today I have come across who someone from there has advised to act in an illegal manner.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Well, my day started in a depressed kinda way....doh!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:41 pm

The solution is simple and within reach without impacting your ultimate goals.. don't be depressed!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

well it can only get better and you have plenty of time to go the correct route with no worry and no looking over your shoulder in case the wheel(s) come off.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul,

It is illegal to enter the USA as a visitor with the intent to remain and adjust status to permanent resident. Do people do it, and get away with it? Yes. Does that make it legal? No. Speeding is illegal, but people do it and get away with it...but if caught, they pay a price, and so will you if your AOS is denied after having entered as a visitor (the price is in tune with a permanent ban from the USA).

Since you have so much time until your big move is planned, you have lots of time to research and do one of the two legal methods to immigrate to the USA - K-1 fiance visa or spouse Immigrant Visa. The K-1 takes about 6 - 8 months to obtain, then you have 6 months to use it, and then 90 days in which to get married in the USA. The Immigrant Visa (you must be married first) takes about 8 - 10 months to obtain, is valid for 6 months, and you become a US PR upon entry to the USA.

You have a couple of excellent choices and nothing to panic about.

We are all here to help answer your questions.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

From the OP it seems like the wedding date is already set, so K1 seems to be the way to go.

As others have said there is plenty of time to sort it out, if you can convince your fiancee to ignore her pesky friend.

November is an excellent time to arrive in AZ, you can have lot's of fun with turkeys and your skin won't be seared off your back if you go outside.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your valued input and advice...

one of the things that is a concern, whilst relevant paperwork is in the process of being filed, etc... am I still allowed to visit the US to see her on a VWP, I couldn't be the thought of being away from her the length of time it takes for the paper work to go through?

I am happy to go down the K1 route, provided our next 10 months plans of visiting each other can stay on track, or will all that get stuffed up too?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your valued input and advice...

one of the things that is a concern, whilst relevant paperwork is in the process of being filed, etc... am I still allowed to visit the US to see her on a VWP, I couldn't be the thought of being away from her the length of time it takes for the paper work to go through?

I am happy to go down the K1 route, provided our next 10 months plans of visiting each other can stay on track, or will all that get stuffed up too?
Yes, you are allowed to visit the USA while waiting for the visa to process. As always, it's up to the POE officer to let you in, so bring proof of your ties to the UK in case the officer asks.

As you probably know, general rule of thumb is to spend more time outside the USA between visits than inside. So, for example, if you visit the USA for 80 days, you should spend 80+ days outside the USA before trying another visit. Back-go-back visits are not good, no matter how long you stayed in the USA. If you only visit for 2 weeks, don't try to come back 3 weeks later.

If she starts the process soon, you will probably get your K-1 visa by around July - September. You can come to the USA as planned on Nov 1 and then get married Nov 11, with no change to your original plan.

Keep in mind one of the main requirements of the K-1 visa is that you have physically met face-to-face within the past 2 years. I'm assuming you've done that.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.