Reload this Page >

Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

peejaygee is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving to the US: Practical Questions

Hiya,

Just joined.. thought I'd start as I mean to go on.... following rules...so I thought I'd introduce myself and see how it goes from there...

Ok, so at the moment, I'm in the UK and will be moving to the US of A (Arizona to be precise) on the 1st of Nov, as I'm getting married on the 11th of Nov.

I have the daunting task (well I hope not that daunting) deciding on wether I'm going to sell up my house or rent it out (as the rent value is a bit low at the mo, and might not cover the mortage) I've got a little Cavalier King Charles I'm wanting to take with me (She's only 2 and a bit, and it like a little kid with all the energy she's got). I'd love to just take the essentials, clothes and computers (I class that as essential ) and leave the rest...dunno if that is gonna happen...

I'd love someone to come in and sort all this for me, close my eyes, click my fingers, what ever we would like to say... but it ain't gonna happen, so I've come across this forum, which would appear to have a wealth of information, exsist threads and knowledge, and if not, I know I can start a thread.

Lets see what the future brings for me, am I going to get stressed or very stressed... I'm hoping I'll find the answers I need to any questions I post and I look forwards to chatting to a few of you soon (via the threads)

Speak Soon.
Paul.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morning (Or Evening, depending on when you read this)

Hi there Paul, welcome aboard.

I'm moving your post over to the USA forum since you have such specific questions.
There is a LOT of information about moving the kitty; please do some searches.

There is also quite a bit of information about moving electronics etc, and about what to do with the house, so hopefully folks will chime in with that.

Some of the answers will depend on knowing what visa you are coming over with, so maybe you can answer that first?

Lucky you, enjoy Arizona!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to the US: Practical Questions (Dogs inside!)

Hiya...

Oh, I plan on doing lots of searchs, I've been searching around the board and just reading other general threads...

I should have pointed out, and a big presumption on my part, Coco is a Dog...I think she might get upset if I say "here, kitty" lol...

As for the Visa, I am going over there on a Visitors Visa, then sending the paperwork in when I'm married, this was advised by one of my fiancee's co-workers. I won't mention her job incase it is frowned upon, but it's government based...

Thanks for your input.
Regards
Paul.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:52 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peejaygee
Hiya...

Oh, I plan on doing lots of searchs, I've been searching around the board and just reading other general threads...

I should have pointed out, and a big presumption on my part, Coco is a Dog...I think she might get upset if I say "here, kitty" lol...

As for the Visa, I am going over there on a Visitors Visa, then sending the paperwork in when I'm married, this was advised by one of my fiancee's co-workers. I won't mention her job incase it is frowned upon, but it's government based...

Thanks for your input.
Regards
Paul.
Uh oh...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to the US: Practical Questions (Kittens inside!)

Please can I have your opinion/view/advice if you feel that is the wrong way to do about it...

Regards
Paul.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:57 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Please can I have your opinion/view/advice if you feel that is the wrong way to do about it...

Regards
Paul.
My apologies. Of course.

There is a saying here called "ten foot pole". It refers to not discussing your particular method of immigrating because it's so frowned upon. Try searching for ten foot pole in your search box.

Why not apply for a K-1 visa instead? It's a lot safer.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Paul

Can I be clear...you are travelling under the Visa waiver program, and after you get married, do you intend to adjust your status to that of spouse visa and remain in Arizona?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Uh oh...
Time for popcorn...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:01 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Elvira
Time for popcorn...
I'll pour the wine... white or red?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Paul

Can I be clear...you are travelling under the Visa waiver program, and after you get married, do you intend to adjust your status to that of spouse visa and remain in Arizona?
That is correct.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
I'll pour the wine... white or red?
Can I have some Cointreau please
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Paul

Ok, thanks for the clarification., just so we all know we are on the same page.

Can I suggest that your first port of call is to go and punch the co worker who gave you the first bit of information about staying on and putting in the paperwork. Then go grab a beer and watch the replies come in...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

I will, but can I ask, why is it a bad idea? so I can explain to my fiancee.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:11 pm
Homebody

I will, but can I ask, why is it a bad idea? so I can explain to my fiancee.
Because it's illegal?

Because you have no right of appeal if your AOS goes tits up?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya...

Thanks for your input.
Regards
Paul.
I knew that about the breed.. I don't know why I had kittens on the brain! Sorry Coco!

I'm afraid your plan is no plan. Not one that anyone here will really help you with. It's illegal to come to the US as a visitor with the intention to immigrate on that visit. You need a visa in advance, that gives you permission to move.

On that note; I'm going to move your thread to the marriage based visa forum where it will stay on track for the immigration questions. IMO, you other questions have zero bearing until you have a legal immigration path (based on past conversations here).
Since most people go through considerable effort to get to the US, they have little patience for advice for folk who want to go the effort free way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.