Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:24 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Originally Posted by Michael
I hear a lot of moral outrage on this thread just like I heard from the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" (lobbying group for mortgage brokers and banks) when they claimed it was an individuals moral responsibility to keep making payments on their home when it is underwater but then the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" walked away from it's headquarters in Washington DC when it was $25 million underwater. When asked why they walked away from their headquarters, they said it was a business decision and not a moral decision.

And then we had bankers that got near zero percent loans from the Federal Reserve's discount window and bailout's from taxpayers and then increased bonuses to the people that caused the problem and thought that was right.

To make a moral judgment for an individual just doesn't seem right.
Some people commit murder - doesn't mean its OK for the rest of us to join in.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:39 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I hear a lot of moral outrage on this thread just like I heard from the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" (lobbying group for mortgage brokers and banks) when they claimed it was an individuals moral responsibility to keep making payments on their home when it is underwater but then the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" walked away from it's headquarters in Washington DC when it was $25 million underwater. When asked why they walked away from their headquarters, they said it was a business decision and not a moral decision.

And then we had bankers that got near zero percent loans from the Federal Reserve's discount window and bailout's from taxpayers and then increased bonuses to the people that caused the problem and thought that was right.

To make a moral judgment for an individual just doesn't seem right.
+1
Individuals can play the rules of the system to their advantage as well as institutions, sadly I do no know the work rounds, (institutions have lawyers to sort them out) wish I did, good luck to the individuals that do.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Some people commit murder - doesn't mean its OK for the rest of us to join in.
This is not a criminal activity but a civil contract and nothing he stated is illegal. There shouldn't be a standard for the rich (don't pay their debts because it's a business decision and is not frowned upon) and another standard for the middle class and poor (who are frowned upon because they may not be able to pay their debts because they don't have the money). Both were civil contracts and both are legal.

I don't equate that the punishment for the rich not paying their debts because they won't make as much money this year as last year but the punishment suggested by this thread is that this individual should put his life on hold and spend the next 8 years in the UK paying off his debts.

I would like to see the Donald Trumps of this world paying their debts instead of filing bankruptcy every few years because it is a business decision as well as everyone else pay debts they owe. However, I am much more forgiving of people that live paycheck to paycheck that default on their debts than I am forgiving the rich that don't pay their debts due to business decisions.

In my opinion, the average middle class and poor have a much higher moral standard than the rich. Typically the middle class and poor will pay their debts unless the burden or inconvenience becomes unbearable but the rich do it for business reasons and never consider the moral implications.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 18th 2013 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cory82
I would have enough money to pay them if I was working here but I am going to be living in the states so if I can't work I won't be able to pay my debts, seriously I can't believe you can't understand that. It don't matter as I have got my answer
First of all, if you are the UK citizen, your finances and debt does not affect the immigration process. That burden is all on the US citizen.

Secondly, if you CAN afford to pay your debts right now, just continue paying them until such time that you move to the USA.

After you move to the USA, whenever you have work authorization and get a job, then start paying your debts again, from the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:17 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a criminal activity but a civil contract and nothing he stated is illegal. There shouldn't be a standard for the rich (don't pay their debts because it's a business decision and is not frowned upon) and another standard for the middle class and poor (who are frowned upon because they may not be able to pay their debts because they don't have the money). Both were civil contracts and both are legal.

I don't equate that the punishment for the rich not paying their debts because they won't make as much money this year as last year but the punishment suggested by this thread is that this individual should put his life on hold and spend the next 8 years in the UK paying off his debts.

I would like to see the Donald Trumps of this world paying their debts instead of filing bankruptcy every few years because it is a business decision as well as everyone else pay debts they owe. However, I am much more forgiving of people that live paycheck to paycheck that default on their debts than I am forgiving the rich that don't pay their debts due to business decisions.

In my opinion, the average middle class and poor have a much higher moral standard than the rich. Typically the middle class and poor will pay their debts unless the burden or inconvenience becomes unbearable but the rich do it for business reasons and never consider the moral implications.
You're saying that because one group (in this case "the rich") does something morally (and contractually) wrong, then its OK for other groups to join-in and do the same thing.

I think if it's wrong, then it's wrong - full-stop.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
You're saying that because one group (in this case "the rich") does something morally (and contractually) wrong, then its OK for other groups to join-in and do the same thing.

I think if it's wrong, then it's wrong - full-stop.
When something is morally but not legally wrong, we should all strive to do the morally correct thing. However, I generally have much more sympathy for a middle class or poor individual that doesn't pay their debts than I do for the rich. When the middle class or poor doesn't pay their debts or files for bankruptcy, there are generally major consequences but for the rich, very little if any consequences.

Therefore since the rich seem to be so flippant about not paying their debts, I don't begrudge a middle class or poor individual who makes an effort to pay their debts but can't. Also I wouldn't consider the OP to have bad moral character if he moves to the US (as some on this thread have suggested that he shouldn't) and doesn't pay his debts because he can't afford to.

From my posts, some may possibly assume that I had at one time not paid my debts and therefore am defending my own actions but I have always paid my debts 100%. In fact I have never purchased a car on credit, have always paid my credit cards in full each month, and the only loan I have ever made was for my home(s) where payments have always been made on time. However most of that is because I have always had a fairly well paid job but I have known others that were not as fortunate (either working for minimum wage, laid off, large medical bills, or possibly other reasons).

Finally when groups such as the "National Association of Mortgage Brokers" and bankers try to put a guilt trip on people that are struggling but at the same time have no qualms about not paying their debts, I have to wonder what is a "moral obligation"? In the case of the housing crisis, how can we expect that someone who is poor and basically illiterate or middle class with limited education to understand that they cannot afford an expensive house when a well educated mortgage broker tells that person that they can?

Last edited by Michael; Feb 18th 2013 at 6:40 am.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
What right do you have to pass judgment on anyone? Im not religious, nor can I quote scripture well, but I'm fairly sure there something in there about 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

He hasn't even done anything yet and your sat there as judge and jury. Honestly, one would think that up there on your moral high ground that you've never done anything wrong.

If fact that goes for most of the people on this thread sat there in their 'moral outrage'.

Amen!
Oh, a thumbs-down - that's torn it.
I probably have no more right than you do to criticize me and my opinion, thank you very much.

From what this fellow has shared so far, he sounds a right git to me.

He's planning on walking away from his responsibilities in the UK (not cool - as he states that if he actually had a spine, he could take care of that).

Next part of the brilliant plan is to ponce off his relatives in the US - his assumption (wrong as it is) is that he would not be able to work here - so that kind of lead me to wonder how he proposed to make a living.

Either way, whatever the half-arsed plan is, he fairly obviously lacks the means to fund it. Still, that seems not to have occurred to him - or perhaps it has.
Still, if there's one thing this country most definitely needs, it's more degenerate oxygen thieves to free-vend off of the rest of us.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
My facts are straight. Consider yourself judged (and it's Welles, not Wellies, you idiot.)
OT I know... but Awesome Wellies would be a really cool nickname.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:36 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
OT I know... but Awesome Wellies would be a really cool nickname.
I blush to admit that I always thought it said that, and did think it was a really cool nick.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cory82
I am getting married in the uk to my fiancée who is american, and for her to live here she needs a spouse visa but because I don't earn enough to meet the financial requirement she can't get her spouse visa which means we have to look at other options one of them being my brother and sister in law who live in the states can sponsor me so I can get a residency visa and live at my brothers house with my wife. But because I have debt and I earn enough to pay my debts I don't think I can apply for bankruptcy but if I move to the states I won't be working so I can't pay my debts from over in the states as it takes over a year for me to get my residency. Do you understand now? How can I work this out?
You have it wrong. You CANNOT DO A FIANCEE VISA IF YOU ARE MARRIED. You get married in the UK and then she files the I-130 for you which is the start of the process for an Immediate Relative Visa which will be completed in the UK. After it's completion, you will enter the US as a Conditional Permanent Resident with the ability to work immediately. YOu really need to ask your visa question in the marriage-based visa forum.