Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Cory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really nice
Default Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Hey, I am moving to the US as I am getting married here in the UK to an american, well the problem is I have debt and I can't file for bankruptcy as I can afford to pay my debts but I won't be able to in the states. So what do I do???
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US but have debts in the UK

Welcome to BE. I have moved your post into a thread of it's own.

As you said you can afford to pay off the debts...why don't you do just that?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to do that, then it disappeared when I hit the move button
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I was just about to do that, then it disappeared when I hit the move button
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Cory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really niceCory82 is just really nice

But I can't get a spouse visa for my fiancée when we are married because i dint meet the financial requirement, so my brother has agreed to sponsor us in the states so I can get a spouse visa but the one problem is my debt, I can pay my debts here even though it would take 8 years to clear it but in the states I won't be able to work straight away which means I won't be able to pay for my debts while I am in the states. What can I do?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know the answer but its not the one you're hoping for
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Cory82
But I can't get a spouse visa for my fiancée when we are married because i dint meet the financial requirement, so my brother has agreed to sponsor us in the states so I can get a spouse visa but the one problem is my debt, I can pay my debts here even though it would take 8 years to clear it but in the states I won't be able to work straight away which means I won't be able to pay for my debts while I am in the states. What can I do?
Sorry I can't make sense of your post. The answer is simple...if you can afford to pay your debts while in the UK...you should do so.

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I think I know the answer but its not the one you're hoping for
I think you're right.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

I am getting married in the uk to my fiancée who is american, and for her to live here she needs a spouse visa but because I don't earn enough to meet the financial requirement she can't get her spouse visa which means we have to look at other options one of them being my brother and sister in law who live in the states can sponsor me so I can get a residency visa and live at my brothers house with my wife. But because I have debt and I earn enough to pay my debts I don't think I can apply for bankruptcy but if I move to the states I won't be working so I can't pay my debts from over in the states as it takes over a year for me to get my residency. Do you understand now? How can I work this out?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Takes up to 90 days to get EAD, then find a job.

You either save up and pay that much up front, or you talk to who you owe to come to some arrangement and do your best.

If you're looking for a magic button to make everything go away, you'll not find it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I am getting married in the uk to my fiancée who is american, and for her to live here she needs a spouse visa but because I don't earn enough to meet the financial requirement she can't get her spouse visa which means we have to look at other options one of them being my brother and sister in law who live in the states can sponsor me so I can get a residency visa and live at my brothers house with my wife. But because I have debt and I earn enough to pay my debts I don't think I can apply for bankruptcy but if I move to the states I won't be working so I can't pay my debts from over in the states as it takes over a year for me to get my residency. Do you understand now? How can I work this out?
Well if you're getting married in the UK, you're applying for a IR visa to move to the US. That takes 8-10 months.

You have the right to work straight away once you land and the greencard arrives in a couple of weeks.

So you've got plenty of time to sort things out and not run out on your debt if you want.

Also getting married in the UK, the OH will need a fiancee visa to get married, which costs money.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can transfer money from a US to UK bank, does that answer the question?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

What does EAD mean?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

What does IR mean as well?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

If I apply for IR is that the residency visa that I apply for with me being outside of the US?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Wiki, up top.

Read it...there's a glossary as well as info on the marriage based visas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.