Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to chicago

Moving from UK to chicago

Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to chicago

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I forgot the two dozen lube shops too.
Don't forget strip mall lawyers.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Don't forget strip mall lawyers.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what I was thinking of.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I forgot the two dozen lube shops too.
We're more efficient around here. Two birds, one stone etc.

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Exactly what I was thinking of.
Well, it could also have been Lionel Hutz ...

Old Nov 3rd 2017, 6:15 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Schaumburg is a sizable city with one of the largest shopping malls/areas in the US. It's fairly developed and has some high rises. Schools are good but not exceptionally good. It's sort of an upper middle range Chicago burb. If you were to write down all of the things that describe a typically American suburb, you've just described Schaumburg.

Depending on your budget, there are many other towns in that area worth looking at, many more if you're willing to drive a bit. However, you're going to get what you pay for in terms of schools and "niceness" of the town. In other words: sure Barrington's nicer but it's expensive. The more expensive suburbs here can be very nice indeed and have truly excellent schools.

You need to drive everywhere in the Chicago burbs. Plan on two cars.

Chicago winters are no joke, believe the hype. To the poster who has only been here one year: last winter was easily the most mild winter I've seen here in 15+ years. Try the 2014 "polar vortex" for a differing experience. Chicago summers are also hot and humid, so be prepared for that.

The dangerousness of urban Chicago is overstated. Parts of the south and west sides are crime ridden, there's no way around that fact. However, you'll have little reason to go there. The vast majority of Chicago (and certainly anywhere you're likely to go) is very safe. Chicago proper is also hugely underrated in its attractiveness. The lakefront, the skyline and the parks are all very nice.

Chicago is in the midwest and typically midwestern in some ways. Prepare to meet people who go to a megachurch every week. Prepare to meet people who go to the gun range after work. Prepare to meet people who've never left the US. Prepare to meet people who unapologetically support Trump. Prepare for these people to be unexpectedly pleasant, educated, intelligent and reasonable.

Still, it's a big city with people from all over the world. If you're looking for US stereotypes, you'll find them here. Like anywhere else, stereotypes are only part of the story.

Last edited by Hiro11; Nov 3rd 2017 at 6:21 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No Pot Shops?
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago does have a lot going for it. The times I have been I have enjoyed it. I went on a Spring Break road trip with a friend of mine when I was in university, and he fell in love with it and moved there for graduate school and stayed after.

Agree with the others about the crime. The really rough areas of Chicago - you will have no need to visit there. Whereas in a New Orleans, etc. people tend to have to pass through for one reason or another. I remember about 15 years ago checking into my room at a very upscale hotel in New Orleans and there was a bullethole in the bathroom window!

Winter can be ferocious in Chicago. Learn how to deal with ice conditions when you arrive.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 4:14 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Boiler
No Pot Shops?
Only medical marijuana here for now. Maybe one day.