British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving from UK to chicago (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-uk-chicago-905070/)

Kdp15 Oct 25th 2017 6:52 pm

Moving from UK to chicago

Hi there, my partner has been offered an opportunity through work to move to Chicago. It's a massive decision to make as we have 3 young children (9, 7, 4). Iv never been to america before so have no idea what its like. Does anyone have any information or tips about moving with a family, specifically to Chicago. It's the area of Schaumburg we would be moving to so any recommendations of where to live or what it's like to live around there would be appreciated.
Also does any body know if you have to be married to get a visa. We are not married and iv been told that I wouldn't be able to get a green card or work over there if we are not married, is this true?
Thanks all.

Noorah101 Oct 25th 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Moving from UK to chicago

That's correct...in order for you to get a derivative visa based on his visa, you need to be legally married.

Whether you can work in the USA or not depends on what visa he gets. Which visa will the company be petitioning him for?

Rene

SanDiegogirl Oct 25th 2017 7:05 pm

Yes, in order to move with husband under his visa you need to be married.

Even if married, depending on what visa he is getting you may or may not be able to work.

H-1B visa = no work

L-1 visa = can work

rpjs Oct 25th 2017 7:33 pm

There is the B-2 visa for a cohabiting partner which OP would probably qualify for, but that's even more restricted than an H-4.

SanDiegogirl Oct 25th 2017 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12368475)
There is the B-2 visa for a cohabiting partner which OP would probably qualify for, but that's even more restricted than an H-4.

With three children I don't think a B-2 cohabiting visa would be suitable for the OP since it has to be renewed every 6 to 12 months, and, in theory, the applicant has to show proof of a residency abroad........

Pulaski Oct 25th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kdp15 (Post 12368460)
.... Also does any body know if you have to be married to get a visa. We are not married and iv been told that I wouldn't be able to get a green card or work over there if we are not married, is this true?
Thanks all.

You'll have to be married to get a visa allowing the possibility of work - assuming that "offered an opportunity through work" means a transfer within his employer's organization, he'll get an L-1 (A or B), and as his wife you would get an L-2, which allows you to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which takes about three months after you arrive.

A green card is a separate matter, which comes later, months or years later, after you have arrived in the US, so there is no need to worry about that at the moment. That said your future husband should get a commitment from his employer to apply for that in writing now, as part of the negotiations.

Oh, and married just requires a marriage certificate, it doesn't need to be a fancy ceremony, and you don't need photos of a huge reception (contrary to oft-seen nonsense on the internet), and it can be the day before the visa application, for visa purposes you are not required to have been married for any amount of time, just soon as you have the certificate to prove you're married.

I don't know a whole lot about Chicago, though I did anticipate moving there at one time. From my research I believe that Schaumburg is a nice area, out in the leafy 'burbs, and a long way from the Chicago reported in the media where gang violence and shootings are a daily occurence.

Kdp15 Oct 25th 2017 8:07 pm

Thank you for all your advise. I'm not sure what type of visa he will be offered just yet as it's still all at the discussion stage. Looks like the easiest option is to just get married, it's been a long time coming anyway as been together 19 years it's just never happened. With 3 kids I don't really want the hassle of having to keep coming home every 6 months.

Nutmegger Oct 25th 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kdp15 (Post 12368488)
Thank you for all your advise. I'm not sure what type of visa he will be offered just yet as it's still all at the discussion stage. Looks like the easiest option is to just get married, it's been a long time coming anyway as been together 19 years it's just never happened. With 3 kids I don't really want the hassle of having to keep coming home every 6 months.

If he already works for the company offering the job, and they would be transferring him, it would be the L-1. Is that the case?

ch2016 Oct 25th 2017 9:02 pm

I moved from London to Chicago last year and so far I love it. I was constantly warned about the "brutal" winters, but I didn't find it too bad - the locals say it was a pretty mild one. I like to think that being over-warned helped me prepare mentally for it. I quite like the distinct seasons anyway.

Chicago has plenty going for it. I'd seen a lot of other parts of the US before Chicago and even then I came and visited once before the move. I like the Midwest lifestyle. The people are friendly, though I think my foreign-ness stands out a bit more than I think I would in NY or LA/SF. Rules aren't excessively applied (it doesn't feel much like a Nanny state). Some complaints are I think comparatively speaking, the state and property taxes are pretty high and the Illinois budget crisis has been a years-long debacle.

Even as you get close to downtown Chicago is a city of "neighbourhoods", which also helps make it all seem a lot more family friendly. Schaumburg I'm sure would be even more so, given it is further out from the city.

Traffic in rush hour on the highways is particularly annoying, but you even get used to that (Google Maps / Waze are brilliant for giving you traffic estimates).

The food scene is fantastic. It feels like a very spread out London with the diversity and interesting selection of restaurants/diners/bars.

Kdp15 Oct 25th 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12368491)
If he already works for the company offering the job, and they would be transferring him, it would be the L-1. Is that the case?

That's right he is moving within the same company

Kdp15 Oct 25th 2017 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ch2016 (Post 12368527)
I moved from London to Chicago last year and so far I love it. I was constantly warned about the "brutal" winters, but I didn't find it too bad - the locals say it was a pretty mild one. I like to think that being over-warned helped me prepare mentally for it. I quite like the distinct seasons anyway.

Chicago has plenty going for it. I'd seen a lot of other parts of the US before Chicago and even then I came and visited once before the move. I like the Midwest lifestyle. The people are friendly, though I think my foreign-ness stands out a bit more than I think I would in NY or LA/SF. Rules aren't excessively applied (it doesn't feel much like a Nanny state). Some complaints are I think comparatively speaking, the state and property taxes are pretty high and the Illinois budget crisis has been a years-long debacle.

Even as you get close to downtown Chicago is a city of "neighbourhoods", which also helps make it all seem a lot more family friendly. Schaumburg I'm sure would be even more so, given it is further out from the city.

Traffic in rush hour on the highways is particularly annoying, but you even get used to that (Google Maps / Waze are brilliant for giving you traffic estimates).

The food scene is fantastic. It feels like a very spread out London with the diversity and interesting selection of restaurants/diners/bars.

Thank you for your comments I too have heard a lot about the cold cold winters and think I may be prepared for them.
Do you know anything about what the schools are like?

ch2016 Oct 25th 2017 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kdp15 (Post 12368567)
Do you know much about the schools

Unfortunately, I do not

Pulaski Oct 25th 2017 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kdp15 (Post 12368567)
Thank you for that information, I have read about the really cold winters and I'm hoping I'll be prepared for them. .....

Unless you spend holidays in the Arctic you won't be prepared for days when it reaches -10°. ..... and that's -10°F, which is -23°C! And colder is possible. :blink:

I found that at 0°F I could hardly breathe - the air just frozen in my throat and I felt like I was suffocating. :eek:

bearclaire1 Oct 26th 2017 12:39 pm

My Husband's company has an office in Schaumburg, and no one likes to visit as there isn't much to do or see. They go to Chicago city centre or outskirts for better activities.
He said Schaumburg is nice if you want to sit at home or go to the shopping mall, thats all there is there. This is his opinion not mine as I have never been myself...

Pulaski Oct 26th 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by bearclaire1 (Post 12368917)
My Husband's company has an office in Schaumburg, and no one likes to visit as there isn't much to do or see. They go to Chicago city centre or outskirts for better activities.
He said Schaumburg is nice if you want to sit at home or go to the shopping mall, thats all there is there. This is his opinion not mine as I have never been myself...

That's typical suburban America. Strip malls, fast food, a movie theater and a chain restaurant or two if you're lucky, and things like dance schools and martial arts training for the kids, and not much else.

Dull and safe, and for most people a good place for families to live. Generally better schools than the more urban areas.