Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to chicago

Moving from UK to chicago

Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to chicago

Originally Posted by ch2016
I moved from London to Chicago last year and so far I love it. I was constantly warned about the "brutal" winters, but I didn't find it too bad - the locals say it was a pretty mild one. I like to think that being over-warned helped me prepare mentally for it. I quite like the distinct seasons anyway.
Just a heads up for you, last winter was most definitely not typical . We got very lucky after December started off with a 3-6" snow storm every weekend, but by Christmas was warming up. I've been here 12 years and I don't remember ever having a 60 degree day in February, but last year we had a few.

That's not to say all winters are full on Baltic, but we were definitely spoiled last year. Supposedly there's a La Niña this year that might make it colder but you never know until you get into the season.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's typical suburban America. Strip malls, fast food, a movie theater and a chain restaurant or two if you're lucky, and things like dance schools and martial arts training for the kids, and not much else.

Dull and safe, and for most people a good place for families to live. Generally better schools than the more urban areas.
I don't mind it, to be honest. What am I going to do anyway, I have kids now and I have to drive everywhere so it's not like I'm going out on the piss all the time. Chicago's a 90 minute train ride away if we want to go to a museum, but you can actually afford a house up by us

For the OP, Schaumburg is pretty nice, what I've seen of it. I don't spend a whole lot of time there but I do pass through from time to time. It's pretty typical of the more affluent Chicago suburbs, really. A lot of people don't go for the appearance of American suburbia but I kind of like it. Tree lined streets in the fall are very pleasing, for example.

I don't know much about the school district but as Pulaski pointed out, for the most part suburban school districts are generally better than in cities. Except for Waukegan, it's a shithole.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey we also moved from London to Chicago 2.5 years ago and I can echo ch2016 that Chicago has a lot going for it and we found it to be very family friendly with lots of activities for kids.

I went to Schaumburg once and it’s ok in terms of it is quiet and safe but there really isn’t much to do. While Chicago does have some problem areas in terms of violence, it gets an unfair rap the way it is portrayed in the media. As a law abiding family you really don’t have much business in the far south and far west areas where most of the gang on gang violence take place.

Schools depend on the neighbourhoods, but from what I gather schools in the suburbs tend to be better on average (don’t know about Schaumburg specifically) but in the City you have very good schools and very poor schools with little in between. We decided to go private but I know there are definitely good schools in the city as well, you just need to pick the right neighbourhood.

The food scene is amazing as ch2016 mentioned and even in winter there are lots of activisties going on.

You’ve already got good advice about getting married so you can get a L2 Visa and be able to work.

Anyway happy to catch up when you move over if you want someone to show you and your family around, we have a 3.5 year old daughter. I am currently in the UK and will be back in Chicago in December.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Kdp15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toluani
Anyway happy to catch up when you move over if you want someone to show you and your family around, we have a 3.5 year old daughter. I am currently in the UK and will be back in Chicago in December.
Thank you for the info and Thank you for the offer of showing us round. It's all very early stages at the moment but think we are possibly planning coming over in January for 6 weeks to trial it out and see what we think.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend grew up and lived in Park Ridge, which is right by O'Hare. From what I've heard, the schools around that area are really good, and also the houses are nice and Park Ridge has a lovely little downtown area, which I've been too often and love eating out in.

I have noticed, at least in the suburbs of Chicago, the food is so much cheaper than what we pay for it down in St Louis. For example, we are lucky if we find Deli meat for less that 6 bucks a lb in St Louis, yet in my girlfriends parent's area, it's 3 bucks a lb!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:16 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
My girlfriend grew up and lived in Park Ridge, which is right by O'Hare. From what I've heard, the schools around that area are really good, and also the houses are nice and Park Ridge has a lovely little downtown area, which I've been too often and love eating out in.

I have noticed, at least in the suburbs of Chicago, the food is so much cheaper than what we pay for it down in St Louis. For example, we are lucky if we find Deli meat for less that 6 bucks a lb in St Louis, yet in my girlfriends parent's area, it's 3 bucks a lb!
More importantly, can you get Vienna Beef in St. Louis? If not, you might as well pack up and move back.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
More importantly, can you get Vienna Beef in St. Louis? If not, you might as well pack up and move back.
We have to wait for our visits to Chicago to get a proper chicago dog
Old Oct 27th 2017, 4:07 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Maste
We have to wait for our visits to Chicago to get a proper chicago dog
That sucks.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

toluani is an unknown quantity at this point

You are welcome.

Also check out city data specially the Chicago forum and you can search for topics but on Schaumburg e.g.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago-suburbs/1124735-company-relocating-schaumburg-where-affordable-place.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/

Originally Posted by Kdp15
Thank you for the info and Thank you for the offer of showing us round. It's all very early stages at the moment but think we are possibly planning coming over in January for 6 weeks to trial it out and see what we think.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a whole lot about Chicago, though I did anticipate moving there at one time. From my research I believe that Schaumburg is a nice area, out in the leafy 'burbs, and a long way from the Chicago reported in the media where gang violence and shootings are a daily occurence.

It's the same in every major US city to one degree or another. For some reason Chicago gets all the headlines but, statistically speaking, other cities like New Orleans, St. Louis, and Baltimore are much more dangerous. I think it's partly because Chicago has a much bigger population so it gets a higher actual number of gun related crimes even if the numbers are actually lower per capita. It's also partly due to people with an agenda (opposed to gun control) still trying to perpetuate the myth that Chicago has strong gun laws - it hasn't as most of them have been rolled back over the years in the courts. Of course, these people miss the point - a city's gun laws are only as strong as the weakest link. Guns can easily be brought into Chicago from other parts of the country e.g. elsewhere in Illinois and from other states like Indiana. It's not like there is a border check to go through.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#3c685fe450da

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 29th 2017 at 4:20 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 4:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's the same in every major US city to one degree or another. For some reason Chicago gets all the headlines but, statistically speaking, other cities like New Orleans, St. Louis, and Baltimore are much more dangerous. ....
This is true - Charlotte is currently on track to have close to 100 killings this year, which is up considerably from a few years ago, and yet those killings are confined almost entirely to "certain parts of town". Meanwhile out in the leafy 'burbs the risk of being attacked or killed is no higher than it is in the UK.

The same pattern is repeated in smaller towns in NC, and as far as I can tell, across America. There are high per capita murder rates, but almost entirely in certain neighbourhoods.

I made the mistake once of driving home after dark through a poor part of the town near Pulaski Manor. I inadvertently drove into the middle of an armed standoff situation, where the police had blocked the road and drawn their weapons, including a shotgun. Unfortunately by the time I had realized what was going on my way was blocked by the police cars and the armed situation was behind us! I had to drive across the sidewalk and into a side street to get away from the situation.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Schaumburg, like 10 years ago.

It's very suburban-Midwest America. Malls, movie theatres, cookie cutter houses etc.

Also, full of people keeping up with the Joanses.

Not a bad place, you just have to get used to it.

As for winter... I moved to Florida after one
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ch2016
I moved from London to Chicago last year and so far I love it. I was constantly warned about the "brutal" winters, but I didn't find it too bad - the locals say it was a pretty mild one. I like to think that being over-warned helped me prepare mentally for it. I quite like the distinct seasons anyway.
As others have told you last winter was incredibly mild. Hopefully this coming one will also be, because no matter how much you think you're mentally prepared, you aren't
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dave2702
As others have told you last winter was incredibly mild. Hopefully this coming one will also be, because no matter how much you think you're mentally prepared, you aren't
Not sure how relevant or accurate it is but someone mentioned in work that they have heard 'warmer and wetter' for this winter. Now, that could mean snow, but could also mean rain, so we'll see how true that turns out to be.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 2:39 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

That's typical suburban America. Strip malls, fast food, a movie theater and a chain restaurant or two if you're lucky, and things like dance schools and martial arts training for the kids, and not much else.
You forgot the 250 nail salons
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
You forgot the 250 nail salons. ....
I forgot the two dozen lube shops too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.