Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the U.S.A.

Moving to the U.S.A.

Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the U.S.A.

Originally Posted by Bob
And for the money, it's okay...because there's a big jump in price to quality furniture and not much middle ground.

That;s my point...if you pay for Taco Bell don't expect fine dining food.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
So have I. It's just shit.
There are roughly three ranges of furniture at Ikea.

1) cheap/student - made from spit and sawdust, not expected to last, keyword is "foil".

2) mid price - will last a while particularly if you don't try to move it. Keyword is "veneer". Example, a well constructed Billy bookcase, we actually managed to move ours twice and after a bit of tlc is still looking ok. We had some ace movers but I think we were lucky on that one.

3) upper end - usually solid wood.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There are roughly three ranges of furniture at Ikea.

1) cheap/student - made from spit and sawdust, not expected to last, keyword is "foil".

2) mid price - will last a while particularly if you don't try to move it. Keyword is "veneer". Example, a well constructed Billy bookcase, we actually managed to move ours twice and after a bit of tlc is still looking ok. We had some ace movers but I think we were lucky on that one.

3) upper end - usually solid wood.
The problem is the after-sales service will still be shocking even if you stump up for the good stuff. I felt like a right tit for giving them the best part of 6 grand when afterwards they wouldn't even post me a couple of dollars worth of hinges when it was their fault I didn't have them in the first place.

They simply haven't invested in the basic infrastructure to provide good service (or any kid of service, really), which is the bit I found particularly offensive as a paying customer who discovered this after the fact. It really is a case of give us your money, now sod off.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Look around for counpons and discounts too... for example Bed, Bath and Beyond often have coupons for 20% off a single item, sign up for Kohls email they have discounts of upto 20% off everything you buy. If you plan on buying big items cooker, fridge etc sign up for a Lowes movers discount, you will only get 1 10% off coupon but you can buy more at ebay. $2 for a 10% coupon is worth it if you are getting 10% off a $1000 fridge.

If you see something onsale but the store has sold out or it is a distance to a shop Walmart & Target price match with competitors.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Look around for counpons and discounts too... for example Bed, Bath and Beyond often have coupons for 20% off a single item
Problem with those I've found, nearly anything that you'd want to buy with it is excluded
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is the after-sales service will still be shocking even if you stump up for the good stuff. I felt like a right tit for giving them the best part of 6 grand when afterwards they wouldn't even post me a couple of dollars worth of hinges when it was their fault I didn't have them in the first place.

They simply haven't invested in the basic infrastructure to provide good service (or any kid of service, really), which is the bit I found particularly offensive as a paying customer who discovered this after the fact. It really is a case of give us your money, now sod off.
They delivered the wrong mattress and only half a dining table to us and we had to drive over and get another one, annoying, however their prices are so good that it's still worth it.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They delivered the wrong mattress and only half a dining table to us and we had to drive over and get another one, annoying, however their prices are so good that it's still worth it.
Our store is a 130-mile round trip, so we really didn't want to waste the time and petrol just for hinges but ended up having to.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:10 am
Banned

Night Crawler is an unknown quantity at this point

IKEA and Craigslist is not going to work for my wife. Are there any fine furnature stores in the Denver area that anyone could recomend? She will be here in a weeks time
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
IKEA and Craigslist is not going to work for my wife. Are there any fine furnature stores in the Denver area that anyone could recomend? She will be here in a weeks time
www.afwonline.com....
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:18 am
Banned

Night Crawler is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be kidding. We will be living in Genesse, not Fairplay
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Colorado and am a fan of Scandinavian Designs (they've got stores in Denver, off Hampden, and in Broomfield near Flatirons). Also like Crate & Barrel, and Room & Board. There's also Forma Furniture in Fort Collins if you're willing to travel that far, or Furniture Connections in Colorado Springs. They all sell more contemporary designs. There's also Danish Furniture of Colorado in Longmont, though I've never been there.

If you like more traditional, go for Woodleys, Lazboy (both have several stores throughout the state), or American Furniture Galleries in Colorado Springs. American Furniture Warehouse is everywhere and predominantly sells bulky, old-fashioned stuff cheap, but it does have the odd gem. There's also the Great Indoors, in Broomfield and at Park Meadows, Denver - it's part of Sears and has lots of appliances, some furniture, and does curtain poles, decorative accessories, bathroom fitments and the like.

Things like curtains I have struggled to buy - if your windows are big it's tricky, but Overstock.com, Bed Bath and Beyond and JC Penney are not bad. It's also worth looking in places like Target, Kohls and TJ Maxx Homegoods.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

We bought mostly Ikea stuff when we arrived - in fact we furnished most of our house with their crap that, 6 years on, creaks, squeaks, wobbles, flakes and just generally all needs fixing and/or replacing. We also found their after-sales customer service worse than abysmal when we had issues (it's another reason why their prices are so cheap).

Because of the latter, I now avoid them like the plague. Lesson learned - you really do get what you pay for.
Interesting - we have Billy bookcases which have survived 10 years and 2 house moves, including the transatlantic shipment and still look great. They've fared much better than the expensive bed which is the same age but is going to need replaced as a matter of urgency as it now kills every bone in my body
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be kidding. We will be living in Genesse, not Fairplay
Genesse is a suburb of Denver.

Not sure I understand the Fairplay connection? I think Sears are looking to open a mini store but a furniture store?

I have also bought stuff from Woodleys.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Not that frequent them myself being poor and they're rather twee for my tastes if I wasn't, you could try Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen, they're national chains. Or like Bob suggested Williams and Sonoma or Crate and Barrel.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:25 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by MadRad
Interesting - we have Billy bookcases which have survived 10 years and 2 house moves, including the transatlantic shipment and still look great. They've fared much better than the expensive bed which is the same age but is going to need replaced as a matter of urgency as it now kills every bone in my body
We have Billy bookcases too. To be honest they are probably above average compare to the rest, but this does not mean Ikea furniture is not shit in my book.

Our one saving grace of our utterly horrible creaking Ikea bed is that we splashed out and got a Tempur Pedic mattress as I have a bad back. That was the best investment we ever made. Often if you have a shit bed it's a good mattress that can save you. (Similarly a great bed with a shit mattress isn't going to be any good).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.