British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to the U.S.A. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-u-s-726612/)

Night Crawler Jul 28th 2011 5:13 am

Moving to the U.S.A.

Hello All

New to the forum so hoping for some help. We now have our move date set and Visa in place for our move to the Evergreen, Colorado on August 11th.

We have decided to leave our furniture in the UK and have rented our property unfurnished so need to start again.

So i need some advice on best places in the foothills of Colorado, the main focus will be on furniture and Electricals (TV's DVD players etc).

Can anyone advise a good place to start shopping where we can get some good deals?

avanutria Jul 28th 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Moving to the U.S.A.

We got a lot of our furniture and electricals at Fred Meyer, and I believe they may be as far east as Colorado. Before you buy the big stuff get a Fred Meyer Rewards card, and you'll get a percentage rebate quarterly as well as discounts on fuel.

Mummy in the foothills Jul 28th 2011 2:54 pm

www.craigslist.org and find your local area we've had some great stuff on there and sold things too.

AmerLisa Jul 28th 2011 3:21 pm

We bought things at IKEA when we first arrived.... Furniture, glasses, dishes, cutlery, pillows, duvets, etc...

tonrob Jul 28th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9524658)
We bought things at IKEA when we first arrived.... Furniture, glasses, dishes, cutlery, pillows, duvets, etc...

We bought mostly Ikea stuff when we arrived - in fact we furnished most of our house with their crap that, 6 years on, creaks, squeaks, wobbles, flakes and just generally all needs fixing and/or replacing. We also found their after-sales customer service worse than abysmal when we had issues (it's another reason why their prices are so cheap).

Because of the latter, I now avoid them like the plague. Lesson learned - you really do get what you pay for.

IanR Jul 28th 2011 5:04 pm

For electrical stuff look for the weekend pamphlets that come with Sunday newspapers. Also online look at site's like www.bensbargains.net

But first draw up a list of the essentials you need.

Bob Jul 28th 2011 5:15 pm

Apart from any local stores, amazon.com for electrics.

Bed Bath and Beyond kind of deal for most households, Ikea...places like Crate and Barrel, Williams and Sonoma are good, but a tad pricey.

E3only Jul 28th 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9524764)
We bought mostly Ikea stuff when we arrived - in fact we furnished most of our house with their crap that, 6 years on, creaks, squeaks, wobbles, flakes and just generally all needs fixing and/or replacing. We also found their after-sales customer service worse than abysmal when we had issues (it's another reason why their prices are so cheap).

Because of the latter, I now avoid them like the plague. Lesson learned - you really do get what you pay for.

It's exellent to start of with though right?

When I moved to Sydney I furnished my place with IKEA. even by butt had an IKEA stamp..over 3 years we replaced everything with better quality furniture.

AmerLisa Jul 28th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9524764)

Very true...

When we arrived it just seemed like a good deal and we had left a whole bunch of Ikea stuff in the UK.... :)

tonrob Jul 28th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9525053)
It's exellent to start of with though right?

Not sure if I'd say 'excellent', but it served a purpose for a limited time but mone of it lasted nearly as long as we'd have imagined. The problem was the shite service - buy enough of the stuff and you'll have wrong bits, deformed bits and missing bits. We even had staff instructing us to buy wrong hinges, only to realize when we were home they didn't fit. Ikea's response? Come back to the store or sod off.

Fine if you live close to a store and don't mind wasting the time and petrol, but the fact that they refused to even move an inch to correct their mistake by sending me the parts really pissed me off, big time. They wouldn't even give out the phone number of the store so I could speak to someone there to see if what I needed was in stock before setting out!!!! (Store numbers seem to be 'secret' - calls route to a call centre that can do, basically, nothing...)

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 29th 2011 5:32 am

http://www.9news.com/news/article/21...-for-business-

Good timing, where about in Evergreen? Probably just down I70 and turn right on 470 then left.

E3only Jul 29th 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9525085)
Not sure if I'd say 'excellent', but it served a purpose for a limited time but mone of it lasted nearly as long as we'd have imagined. The problem was the shite service - buy enough of the stuff and you'll have wrong bits, deformed bits and missing bits. We even had staff instructing us to buy wrong hinges, only to realize when we were home they didn't fit. Ikea's response? Come back to the store or sod off.

Fine if you live close to a store and don't mind wasting the time and petrol, but the fact that they refused to even move an inch to correct their mistake by sending me the parts really pissed me off, big time. They wouldn't even give out the phone number of the store so I could speak to someone there to see if what I needed was in stock before setting out!!!! (Store numbers seem to be 'secret' - calls route to a call centre that can do, basically, nothing...)

I agree with your sentiment. you get what you pay....

Excellent might not be the right word. All I meant was for young couples with tight budget it's a great way to get started as a couple......and then slowly change/replace it.

It's my mindset may be. I was in Australia and there is no such thing was interest free credit cards for first 12 months....well there werent any until last year. The Interest Free furniture concept is a joke there too. E.g. Cash furniture will cost you say $2k but if the same furniture you wanted to buy for interest free terms you have to apply for a credit card with an annual fee or around $60 and by the by, you won't get that furniture for $2K it will be say $2.3k...

ALl that made me say its a great way to start...sure not the best quality but if one wanted to live within their means and get started then it's decent...see what I mean?

If I had spare $$ to spend I won't worry about Ikea, I would go to big stores.

Sally Redux Jul 29th 2011 3:31 pm

We've still got all IKEA stuff.

tonrob Jul 29th 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9526539)
We've still got all IKEA stuff.

So have I. It's just shit.

Bob Jul 29th 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9526592)
So have I. It's just shit.

It's better than Argos though :D

And for the money, it's okay...because there's a big jump in price to quality furniture and not much middle ground.