Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to texas...(Moved to the US Immigration Forum)

moving to texas...(Moved to the US Immigration Forum)

Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

gemyax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to texas...(Moved to the US Immigration Forum)

Hi

My brother (british) and sister inlaw (Texan) live in texas we are wanting to move over there to live, we have visited a few times and love the place, and im wanting to be closer to my family.

They have agreed to sponsor us, but ive been reading and im confused where to start, i dont work as im a stay at home mum have 3 kiddies , 5, 6, and 10 hubby works as a vending machine/electrical engineer and has city and guilds etc, he wrote off to a few companies over there and even got a reply stating they would like to give him a job, so we know he could possibly get one.

from my understanding u have to fill in the I-130 form first to get a date when u can apply for a visa, is this correct?

Then after that im stuck on where to go and how long the time frame is until a) the I-130 form is accepted and b) how long for the visa?

Also we are coming over in august for a holiday, will sending the forms in cause me problems for entering ?

Thanks any help would be greatfully appreciated
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to texas

Originally Posted by gemyax
They have agreed to sponsor us...
Once your brother becomes a US citizen, he can sponsor you by submitting an I-130 petition. Only a USC can sponsor a sibling. Your SIL can not sponsor you. Once the petition is submitted, you'll get a visa in about 10-13 years afterwards. That's how long it will take to get through the backlog of applications ahead of you.

If you want to get to the US sooner, you'll need either an employment-based visa or an investment-based visa.

Start here.

Ian
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to texas

Hi

My brother (british) and sister inlaw (Texan) live in texas we are wanting to move over there to live, we have visited a few times and love the place, and im wanting to be closer to my family.

They have agreed to sponsor us, but ive been reading and im confused where to start, i dont work as im a stay at home mum have 3 kiddies , 5, 6, and 10 hubby works as a vending machine/electrical engineer and has city and guilds etc, he wrote off to a few companies over there and even got a reply stating they would like to give him a job, so we know he could possibly get one.

from my understanding u have to fill in the I-130 form first to get a date when u can apply for a visa, is this correct?

Then after that im stuck on where to go and how long the time frame is until a) the I-130 form is accepted and b) how long for the visa?

Also we are coming over in august for a holiday, will sending the forms in cause me problems for entering ?

Thanks any help would be greatfully appreciated

Welcome to BE. I have moved your thread over to the US Immigration Forum.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to texas...(Moved to the US Immigration Forum)

Ian is right. If your brother is a USC, he can file an I-130. After that, it will take about 10 - 12 years for a visa number to become available to you. So you have a long wait ahead of you.

Your husband applying for jobs won't cause a problem for you entering the USA for a visit, but you should know that his line of work is not one that will lead to a work visa in the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, obviously by the time the OP gets a visa from her brother at least her oldest child would be over the age of 21, so what would happen then? Would they not be able to immigrate with the rest of the family, or is there some kind of special allowance given?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, obviously by the time the OP gets a visa from her brother at least her oldest child would be over the age of 21, so what would happen then? Would they not be able to immigrate with the rest of the family, or is there some kind of special allowance given?
Cspa might apply.