Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Texas has made me a racist

Moving to Texas has made me a racist

Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:01 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Texas has made me a racist

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
My wife is also an attorney and was previously a juvenile probation officer so I have a good handle on the reality of crime in the inner city, most of which is perpetrated by black youths fiutting the OP's description - FACT - something that many posters on here do not have a clue about.

I live 20 minutes from East Palo Alto, several years ago named crime city of the US. My husband and I have many friends who live there, my husband works with these friends every day. They don't steal, don't sell drugs and they are always welcome in our house. There houses have been shot at, they have seen people shot, they have drug dealers dealing outside of their houses but just because they live in that neighborhood doesn't mean that they deserve to get caught up someone else's racism!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brindlebrundle
I came to discuss them.
Really you'll just get some other people's opinions and experiences, then we'll all be forced to admit that it's "in my experience", and the debate will end.

Sorry to take the fun out of it...
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if you've never heard that phrasing before.
Yes I have heard it before and I still don't like it.

but to imply that my phrasing of "in the trenches" was making deliberate reference to a "us and them" race war is ludicrous.
Not once did I say it was a deliberate reference to a "us and them" race war. Please check my posts if you don't believe me.

corporations referring to their salesmen as "the guys on the frontline"
Yeah, I try to avoid people like that. Like people who say they going to "hit the ground running", "push the envelope" or other wanky phrases that make themselves sound more macho than they really are.

it's a figure of speech my friend
I understand that but I don't think you understand that - in this context - it's a very politically loaded turn of phrase which only causes more problems.

But don't confuse your own ingorance with what you perceive to be mine.
Have you bothered to read my other posts?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:03 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Sorry to take the fun out of it...
Stop ruining it for the rest of us. I'll never surrender.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:05 pm
Banned

brindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Yes I have heard it before and I still don't like it.

Not once did I say it was a deliberate reference to a "us and them" race war. Please check my posts if you don't believe me.

Yeah, I try to avoid people like that. Like people who say they going to "hit the ground running", "push the envelope" or other wanky phrases that make themselves sound more macho than they really are.

I understand that but I don't think you understand that - in this context - it's a very politically loaded turn of phrase which only causes more problems.

Have you bothered to read my other posts?
Yes I have, but you are guilty of the politically correct nitpicking and over-analysing that I said I have no time for. Let's just get to the meat and potatos of the discussion rather than nibble at phrases like "in the trenches"

As for this:
I refer to your earlier message:

Your denial that you're not implying that this is a war is completely disingeneous.
I am certainly receptive to the comments of others for reminding me that not every black person is guilty of the crimes of others. Bad apples in the barrell and all that. Very true.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

NB: This is not an attempt at flaming, spamming or trouble causing but a legit discussion point that I wanted to share with other Expats.

sorry m8y... having lived in texas for 5 yrs has made me view certain aspects of life differently than before and made me appreciate good old blighty however it's certainly not made me a racist....now the illegals here are another thing
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Hedgehog,
Creosote,
Alpine crotch itch,
Wankle Rotary Engine,
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be because racism and slavery was so much more endemic and instituionalised in america especially in the southern states.
Sure it was some time ago but I know/am sure that its still fresh in everyone's minds. Hell the Americans still havent got over there little tiff with the british all those years ago.
Whilst in the UK we had a very typical covert sort of racism (not allowing black people to stay in hotels rent rooms etc. when they first arrived) in America it was 100% out in the open blatant and fully condoned by the state government...
Latinos and other races have never had quite such blatant discrimination especially based on their skin colour.

Yes I have, but you are guilty of the politically correct nitpicking and over-analysing that I said I have no time for. Let's just get to the meat and potatos of the discussion rather than nibble at phrases like "in the trenches"

As for this:

I am certainly receptive to the comments of others for reminding me that not every black person is guilty of the crimes of others. Bad apples in the barrell and all that. Very true.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:10 pm
Being myself

Yes I have, but you are guilty of the politically correct nitpicking and over-analysing that I said I have no time for.
Sorry for using my brain.

Let's just get to the meat and potatos of the discussion rather than nibble at phrases like "in the trenches"
I'm not nibbling at it - only that it says more about you than me.

As for this:

And at what point did I use the phrase "us and them"?

Bad apples in the barrell and all that. Very true.
There's a glib platitude if ever I heard one.
Banned

brindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of lightbrindlebrundle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sorry m8y... having lived in texas for 5 yrs has made me view certain aspects of life differently than before and made me appreciate good old blighty however it's certainly not made me a racist....now the illegals here are another thing
That's interesting, TrueBrit. Five years in Houston and no bad experiences with the less affluent black population?

The idea of the arrogant, ignorant African American is so ingrained in American popular culture that comedians like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock make millions from it. Jokes about certain groups of black people not paying their bills or calling women "hos" is an accepted part of life here. The sun will rise each morning, dogs will bark, the rain will fall, and blacks will take another shortcut. Welcome to life in the USA. That's what makes me sick.
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I am sure the elderly are always afforded more courtesy
That is until I demand my Senior Citizen discount at Wendy's ..... then everybody gets all pissy.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Sorry for using my brain.

I'm not nibbling at it - only that it says more about you than me.

And at what point did I use the phrase "us and them"?

There's a glib platitude if ever I heard one.
Sorry mate, I can't be arsed with all this linguistics bullshit. Maybe you should become a politician.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
just out of curiosity, are there any black British ex-pats reading this site?
There's a few, certainly a couple spouses.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:13 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I came to discuss them.
What for? Surely you can realise that poor black people are about as truthful a reflection of the black population as chavs and the lower working classes are a reflection of white people.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:15 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, TrueBrit. Five years in Houston and no bad experiences with the less affluent black population?

The idea of the arrogant, ignorant African American is so ingrained in American popular culture that comedians like Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock make millions from it. Jokes about certain groups of black people not paying their bills or calling women "hos" is an accepted part of life here. The sun will rise each morning, dogs will bark, the rain will fall, and blacks will take another shortcut. Welcome to life in the USA. That's what makes me sick.
In your previous post you were only talking about where you lived, now you've changed it to the USA. Racist! That's my opinion not the friggin PC opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.