British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Texas has made me a racist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-texas-has-made-me-racist-410569/)

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:08 pm

Moving to Texas has made me a racist

I feel so terrible about this, but I can't help myself. Before anyone derides me with cookie-cutter "We are all equal" speeches, please take a moment to read my explanation.

I withheld this all for so long, but in recent months, I find myself becoming very racist towards black Americans. Not black people as a whole (like I said, I never considered racism back home)...but BLACK AMERICANS.

Growing up in England, racism always seemed to be limited to the older generation, and a minority of "haters" who were prejudiced against everything - gays, posh people, poor people, catholics, protestants, etc. Racism was never a main issue in my life, I had many black friends growing up in school. The Chinese people in the chip shops were always so friendly and neighborly to us. The majority of doctors I saw were kind African or Indian men. Racism never touched my life except for the occasional bigot.

All the stereotypes of "lazy", "cheaters", "immoral", etc seemed so far from the mark because all the black people I knew were the most integral, honest and hardworking - shopkeepers, doctors, nurses, teachers, etc. racism was simply the narrow minded behavior of idiots.

Sadly, here in Texas, I find these stereotypes to not only be true, but something that most young black people take PRIDE in. It's almost an accepted way of life over here. Laziness, lack of education, drug culture, stealing, victim mentality, lack of responsibility, poor speaking skills, lack of obligation, poor dress sense, aggressive and threatening demeanours, etc. I've seen it all here first hand and it's sad that I find myself being not only scared of these people, but beginning to resent them.

I hear the phrases "baby daddy" and "baby momma" here all the time. It's used to refer to a black father who is no longer with the mother of his child(ren). There is no disgust or shame in this phrase, infact people use it all the time with a smile on their face.

"Excuse me, is that your husband?"
"Hell no, honey child, that's my baby-daddy."

Yes, he had casual sex, didn't use protection, happily brought a child into an environment of sleaze and poverty and then took off with little support.

I never seem to find black people in respectable jobs or living areas here in Houston. Whether that says more about them or the society that controls them, I don't know. But I would love some black friends from respectful family backgrounds. All I see are African Americans with bad attitudes, scruffy kids, and awful speaking skills like "Girl, I gone whoop dat ass."

And it just gets worse.

I recall an interview with Bill Cosby a few years ago when he talked about African Americans regeressing and getting worse, rather than increasing their social stature. He said that for every one black american who has tried to better themselves, dress smartly, speak intelligently and work hard to build a good life - he sees ten who take the 'gansta' route, speaking in ebonics (fo' shizzy), wearing their jeans around their thighs, and selling drugs.

The response? The black community called him a traitor and a sellout. LOL - they were disgusted that Cosby had the nerve to accost them for being welfare dependent, slum dwelling thieves.

I guess the truth hurts.

And yet it seems to be Mexicans and latinos who get the brunt of the racist elbows here in Texas. "Damn Mexicans", "Send the wetbacks home", etc. Everyone is hellbent on "securing the borders" so that the Mexicans can't get into Texas. How ironic - I've found the Mexican population to be nothing short of respectful, hard working and dedicated. Look at the tough jobs here in Texas - construction, janitorial, road sweepers, waiters, etc. All Mexican. Not one damn black face is sweeping the streets. Why? Because there is a huge chip on their shoulder, there is an immense amount of arrogance and false sense of entitlement - and it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

God, I hate feeling like this. But Black Americans deserve every stereotype that is thrown at them...cos God knows most of them live up to it. With pride.

anotherlimey Nov 28th 2006 3:11 pm

Re: Moving to Texas has made me a racist

That's not unusual, Texas makes people lots of things.... ;) :D

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:21 pm

NB: This is not an attempt at flaming, spamming or trouble causing but a legit discussion point that I wanted to share with other Expats.

cabritpop Nov 28th 2006 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by brindlebrundle
NB: This is not an attempt at flaming, spamming or trouble causing but a legit discussion point that I wanted to share with other Expats.

You haven't watched much of Chris Rock's stand up comedy have you?

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop
You haven't watched much of Chris Rocks stand up comedy have you?

Yes...his "Black People vs N--gers" routine pretty much sums it all up.

LeedsGirl Nov 28th 2006 3:33 pm

Yes...his "Black People vs N--gers" routine pretty much sums it all up for me. But how interesting it was to see the entire black audience laughing and rocking in theirs chairs at recognition of the "damn n--gers". Most obviously didn't count themselves in that number.

Texas didn't make you a racist, you did that all on your own.

anotherlimey Nov 28th 2006 3:36 pm

Yes...his "Black People vs N--gers" routine pretty much sums it all up for me. But how interesting it was to see the entire black audience laughing and rocking in theirs chairs at recognition of the "damn n--gers". Most obviously didn't count themselves in that number.

You can't tar them all with the same brush though; Bill Cosby obviously worked hard to get where he is/was (does he still do comedy?), same goes for every Black person you'll see on US television (except Cops).

My wife's best friend is Black, she's worked very hard to put herself through college, and her boyfriend too (an electrician).

The chavy underclass in Britain takes great pride in that [chav] label too; hopefully they're in the minority!

Leslie Nov 28th 2006 3:36 pm

Houston has a very large and in many cases a very "troubled" black community. Lot's of gangs, drugs, poverty and violence.

Rest assured, there are plenty of black people in "respectable" jobs all over the country. Teachers, doctors, bank tellers, cab drivers etc. etc.

You are seeing a sampling (that is very real) but you are not seeing the whole picture. Try to keep an open mind. :)

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Texas didn't make you a racist, you did that all on your own.

I distinctly asked for no "high and mighty" responses. I'm looking for the experiences, findings and insights of anyone with similar situations. Thank you.

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Houston has a very large and in many cases a very "troubled" black community. Lot's of gangs, drugs, poverty and violence.

Rest assured, there are plenty of black people in "respectable" jobs all over the country. Teachers, doctors, bank tellers, cab drivers etc. etc.

You are seeing a sampling (that is very real) but you are not seeing the whole picture. Try to keep an open mind. :)

That is good to know. I try to remember that I am working in an urban setting and my experiences are very much a "micro study" of the entire population. I was interested in others feedback. Cheers for your good point.

cabritpop Nov 28th 2006 3:39 pm

I distinctly asked for no "high and mighty" responses. I'm looking for the experiences, findings and insights of anyone with similar situations. Thank you.

Well my second course of therapy was going to be to read some Maya Angelou but now I recommend that you move to Utah and be done with it.

LeedsGirl Nov 28th 2006 3:40 pm

God, I hate feeling like this. But Black Americans deserve every stereotype that is thrown at them...cos God knows most of them live up to it. With pride.

"High and mighty." Read your own post "most of them live up to it." If you make sweeping statements like what, how do you expect people to respond to you :confused: .

Mallory Nov 28th 2006 3:45 pm

"High and mighty." Read your own post "most of them live up to it." If you make sweeping statements like what, how do you expect people to respond to you :confused: .

just out of curiosity, are there any black British ex-pats reading this site?

brindlebrundle Nov 28th 2006 3:46 pm

I just don't have the time or patience for people who nitpick linguistics and tear a message apart for every politically incorrect reference they can find. Sweeping statements, etc...you know what I'm talking about without forcing me to be PC and pedantic.

"With reference to the select percentage of the Houston african-american ethnic population, particularly in reference to the locales of Humble, Huffman and Katy as per the period 2004-2006..."

Perhaps I should go the whole hog and refer to blackboards as personboars, eh? :rolleyes:

Maz Nov 28th 2006 3:54 pm

I just don't have the time or patience for people who nitpick linguistics

But you have a problem with ebonics... that's rather ironic.