Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tampa in Sept. Here's my plan and concerns.

Moving to Tampa in Sept. Here's my plan and concerns.

Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:28 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Tampa in Sept. Here's my plan and concerns.

Can I ask what industry?

From my experience (recruitment Consultant here) there have been a number of times since Ive been here where references have been asked for when whittling candidates down to final two and way before the offer. However this has been more prevalent since I started working in the Engineering industry.

From the info stated I would say it was likely, but as has been advised, don't bet the farm on it.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

mandela is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canveydave
Can I ask what industry?

From my experience (recruitment Consultant here) there have been a number of times since Ive been here where references have been asked for when whittling candidates down to final two and way before the offer. However this has been more prevalent since I started working in the Engineering industry.

From the info stated I would say it was likely, but as has been advised, don't bet the farm on it.
Cheers, CD

It's an HR position in Education, a large college.

She's had two interviews for it.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

mandela is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife got that job so that's a big weight off. She's done amazing as it was the first job she applied for.
I've got 2 phone interviews lined up so hopefully they go well but I'm expecting a lengthy recruitment process so even best case I'm looking at another month or so, probably more.

We both passed our drivers test and bought a car. Had a minor heart issue when I bought insurance...I read on here geico would consider international driving experience but they reject that out of hand when I asked. Is there any way to have 15 years no claims are into consideration?

The only things outstanding on our list of things to achieve are me to get a job and to get a secured CC. My wife can do that now she has a job and when I get a job I can ask Amex to transfer my account, hopefully.

It's been a hard 4 weeks but with a house, car, job for the wife and all the administrative stuff done we're getting there.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandela
My wife got that job so that's a big weight off. She's done amazing as it was the first job she applied for.
I've got 2 phone interviews lined up so hopefully they go well but I'm expecting a lengthy recruitment process so even best case I'm looking at another month or so, probably more.

We both passed our drivers test and bought a car. Had a minor heart issue when I bought insurance...I read on here geico would consider international driving experience but they reject that out of hand when I asked. Is there any way to have 15 years no claims are into consideration?

The only things outstanding on our list of things to achieve are me to get a job and to get a secured CC. My wife can do that now she has a job and when I get a job I can ask Amex to transfer my account, hopefully.

It's been a hard 4 weeks but with a house, car, job for the wife and all the administrative stuff done we're getting there.
Congratulation to your wife and overall you seem to be making good progress.

On your car insurance all you can do is shop around. Some here say they found insurance that took into account their non-US record (Geico gets mentioned) but that seems rare.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 2:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

GEICO did not ask for or wanted my hubby's Canadian or European driving records and just added him to my existing policy. Strangely, with his car and person added to my policy my premium only increased by $150 every six months. How high are your quotes that you need to have your record weighed in as a lower premium deduction?

Originally Posted by mandela