Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tampa

Moving to Tampa

Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

thailandfishboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Tampa

Hoping to be moving to Tampa sometime early this fall (getting into the lingo already!).
Will be working close to Tampa Intl. but would like to live somewhere either close to the sea, and/or close to countryside and commute to work. Looking for maximum commute time of 1 hour each way.
Does anybody have any ideas about nice communities which meet those criteria? I guess my maximum monthly rental would be $1000
Thanks in advance for your input!
Fishboy
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:53 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Tampa

Originally Posted by thailandfishboy
Hoping to be moving to Tampa sometime early this fall (getting into the lingo already!).
Will be working close to Tampa Intl. but would like to live somewhere either close to the sea, and/or close to countryside and commute to work. Looking for maximum commute time of 1 hour each way.
Does anybody have any ideas about nice communities which meet those criteria? I guess my maximum monthly rental would be $1000
Fishboy
You could go up as far north as Crystal River on the Sunpark Expressway in an hour thats a big area.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
You could go up as far north as Crystal River on the Sunpark Expressway in an hour thats a big area.
The suncoast expressway is easier to find though
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:41 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The suncoast expressway is easier to find though
lol it's been a while Ray
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Fishboy
We live in Sarasota (has some of the best beaches in the US) and my husband used to travel to Tampa for work on a daily basis. The commute was around 50 mins. Hope that helps!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

NikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really niceNikonShooter is just really nice

Fishboy
Are you looking for a flat or a home? You may be able to find a flat (we call them apartments, as I'm sure you know) for about $1,000 a month in Tampa, but won't find a single family (detached) home in Tampa for that.

Having said that, there are some nice but expensive areas in south Tampa. The areas you would want to look at would be Bayshore, Hyde Park, Beach Park, and Westshore. The Westchase area to the northwest of Tampa International is also really nice, but pricey. Do not go too far south, as the Gandy Boulevard area near MacDill Air Force Base is quite rough. Likewise, stay out of the Town and Country area--it has been full of gangs for years. The commute from any of the closest beach communities in Pinellas County would probably be close to an hour due to the traffic.

Keep in mind that the "countryside" in the United States is not like the countryside in the United Kingdom. Ever seen the episode of Top Gear where they drive from Miami to New Orleans. Yeah, it's like that. Having said that, there are some nice areas east of Tampa if you can deal with the high percentage of rednecks.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:45 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in New Tampa and pretty much hated it. If I had to move back. I would get nearer to clearwater. But be careful as a lot of the land there is a flood risk should a hurricane come along.