Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to So cal advice

Moving to So cal advice

Old Apr 28th 2017, 7:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to So cal advice

I just spend all of my time playing Fallout.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I just spend all of my time playing Fallout.
Obtaining a Vengance is the way to go.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdy123
Hey,

This is my first post on this site, Im Scottish my husband is Irish and we've been living in Boston MA for 1 1/2 years. We are both early 30's with no kids as yet but hoping to have a family very soon.

We are moving to So Cal as my husband has been relocated with work to Irvine.......Ive got a couple questions.

In Boston there is a large British ex pat community that converses through social media. Can anyone recommend some for So Cal.

Im quite afraid of natural disaster probably after watching one too many movies but what should we be looking for in terms of safety when viewing flats to rent.....also areas that are considered toast should the Big One happen would be appreciated. Scary.

We haven't heard the best things about Irvine in terms of culture and things to do, while we still don't have kids we would like to be able to go out and socialize but were not super into exercise so wouldn't want to meet people to do sports, more into music and restaurants.
We had thought living slightly closer to LA may be good in terms of keeping us entertained but the commute is supposed to be soul crushing....any tips on good areas for bars, restaurants and cafes to live by but still be able to commute about 45 mins to Irvine would be appreciated. so 45 mins in any direction from Irvine.
I won't be working for the first while so lets not go crazy and mention places where we would be eating pot noodles to survive while living in a cute neighborhood
Hi Birdy,

I live just next door to Irvine in Lake Forest. You are right, there isn't much culture in Orange County. For interesting neighborhoods with bars, cafes, etc you would want to be closer to the beach. Unfortuantely, being near the beach means higher rents. If you decide to live in Irvine I would consider finding a place close to Irvine Spectrum. It is a large outdoor shopping center with a movie theatre, lots of restaurants, shops, a fitness center, etc.

I live on the lake in Lake Forest. It is a man made lake so you can't swim it in but we do have a community center with 11 tennis courts, 4 swimming pools (one is an adults only), a fitness center, a bar, etc. which is a fun place to hang out and meet people.

Good luck with your move, happy to help if you have any more questions!
Old Apr 30th 2017, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at downtown Orange. Lots of bars and restaurants and a good nightlife. University town and some level of public transportation, but you'd likely still have a commute to Irvine. Wouldn't be my first choice for an area with kids but that's not an issue for you. It's also cheaper than the beach areas.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdy123

Im quite afraid of natural disaster probably after watching one too many movies but what should we be looking for in terms of safety when viewing flats to rent.....also areas that are considered toast should the Big One happen would be appreciated. Scary.
Hollywood may have overblown the chances of the OC dropping into the ocean. The San Andreas fault runs northeast of LA through Palm Springs and along the Salton sea. In other words, the OC is not near the San Andreas fault.

Earthquakes in the OC and San Diego can be bad but would not drop us into the ocean. The Tsunami threat is also small due to the nature of the faults along the California coast.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Earthquakes in the OC and San Diego can be bad but would not drop us into the ocean.
??? No one here has said it would... you're the first to mention it.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2017, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't drop us in the ocean for sure, but just because the San Andreas is not in OC doesn't mean a quake there's impact wouldn't be felt. This is a good simulation of how it might ripple through.

https://youtu.be/blTx92TuWHA

Always in the back up of your mind but not something to worry about al the time. Certainly not enough to consider moving to, say GA. :-)
Old May 1st 2017, 12:09 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever experienced one earthquake in my lifetime and that was when I was living in Boston!
Old May 1st 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

birdy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
??? No one here has said it would... you're the first to mention it.

Ian
Ive actually just finished reading an article saying that the beach would potentially drop 3-5 ft in an earthquake.

My questions are more concerned around would people factor this in when looking at buying a home.....say near a hill side because of landslides....things to look out for for home structural integrity etc.
Old May 1st 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Thats interesting, I think its more the imminent arrival of a huge one that is scary. Im sure they have been saying its due for a very long time but its so unpredictable it does make you pause for concern.

sorry this was reply to Alan17

Last edited by birdy123; May 1st 2017 at 7:16 pm. Reason: not quoting
Old May 1st 2017, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

thanks! this is basically what I was interested in.....also wether to avoid the bottom of hilly areas as they have said something about landslides and what to look for in building structures that make them better suited to residing near a fault line.
Not having any experience of the area its hard to know what is scaremongering and what is something to be genuinely mindful of.

Thanks again ScousePete

Last edited by birdy123; May 1st 2017 at 7:17 pm. Reason: not quoting
Old May 1st 2017, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Havnfun
Hi Birdy,

I live just next door to Irvine in Lake Forest. You are right, there isn't much culture in Orange County. For interesting neighborhoods with bars, cafes, etc you would want to be closer to the beach. Unfortuantely, being near the beach means higher rents. If you decide to live in Irvine I would consider finding a place close to Irvine Spectrum. It is a large outdoor shopping center with a movie theatre, lots of restaurants, shops, a fitness center, etc.

I live on the lake in Lake Forest. It is a man made lake so you can't swim it in but we do have a community center with 11 tennis courts, 4 swimming pools (one is an adults only), a fitness center, a bar, etc. which is a fun place to hang out and meet people.

Good luck with your move, happy to help if you have any more questions!
Great advice thanks! I hadn't considered there but I will check that out now