Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to NY

Moving to NY

Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NY

Originally Posted by lansbury
I am interested in why they would pay that amount for their drugs.

My wife is diabetic and takes about 6 drugs for that and ancillary problems. All but one of those drugs is available for $10 per month in the generic version. Wal-Marts I believe has a program where generic drugs are as little as $4 a month.

I understand that drugs just on the market are covered by patent and there isn't a generic version but that wouldn't be many cases.

We moved from the UK to the US when I retired. My UK government pension is increased by the exchange rate and my wife gets her Oregon PERS pension. We are much better off in Oregon, even with the US medical system, than we would be in the UK.
I believe the Walmart cheaper prescriptions is a relatively new concept...whether or not it will last is anyone's guess and I suppose it depends on what meds you need.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe the Walmart cheaper prescriptions is a relatively new concept...whether or not it will last is anyone's guess and I suppose it depends on what meds you need.
The list is very limited.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
The list is very limited.
Not much on it at all.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK that I accept but Blue Cross/Blue Shield do generic drugs for $10 so I would be surprised if other insurers didn't have a similar option or is that not the case have we struck lucky in our particular circumstances.

Not being argumentative just trying to learn a bit more about the US medical system.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

OK that I accept but Blue Cross/Blue Shield do generic drugs for $10 so I would be surprised if other insurers didn't have a similar option or is that not the case have we struck lucky in our particular circumstances.

Not being argumentative just trying to learn a bit more about the US medical system.
That's fine if you only need generic drugs.

Branded drugs include not recent developments and advances, but also more convenient and better metabolised versions of older drugs.

If you needed insulin, I expect you would probably prefer to administer it with a pen rather than a syringe. Unlike in Europe, most US diabetics are forced to use the latter because the insurers do not fund the pens unless dire need can be proven.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The pharmaceutical companies do everything in their power to extend the life of their patents, sometimes by adding an additional drug and rebranding the whole thing.

Failing that, they seek OTC approval. OTC drugs can cost far, far more for a 30-day supply than if you'd bought the generic with a prescription.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The pharmaceutical companies do everything in their power to extend the life of their patents, sometimes by adding an additional drug and rebranding the whole thing.

Failing that, they seek OTC approval. OTC drugs can cost far, far more for a 30-day supply than if you'd bought the generic with a prescription.
Yep, when the Claritin (I take it for hay fever) patent ran out I found I was paying more for it OTC than I had with a prescription. Then I found the generic drug (Loratadine) at Sam's Club for about $10 for a huge bottle of about 200.

But yes, I think a lot depends on whether the generic works for you. I take another routine medication for which there is no generic and being on the "non preferred" list I was paying $50 a prescription - that was on the NC health insurance plan.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
But yes, I think a lot depends on whether the generic works for you. I take another routine medication for which there is no generic and being on the "non preferred" list I was paying $50 a prescription - that was on the NC health insurance plan.

I pay about the same for a 3 mths supply of Nexium under our prescription insurance plan. It would cost approximately 10 times as much without insurance.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

If your wife takes insulin - it is not considered generic, I take 2 types of insulin and my prescription costs are $25 each per month, syringes are $15 a month, I then take several oral medications at either $15 a month for generic or $25 if generic is not available. I pay over $100 in co-pays for my medications.

Prescriptions costs are also based on your type of insurance plan - PPO, HMO and what type of prescription plan they have in place.

Dawn

PS: My insurance is Blue Cross of California PPO
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

apw619 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest that you get professional tax advice (a cpa): when I came here on an h1 visa I was able to deduct most of my living expenses for the first year. Maybe the tax laws have changed, and there again maybe they haven't?

Since you're intending to rent you can ignore comments on property tax in NJ. Plenty of rentals in hoboken and newport/jersey city if manhattan is too expensive.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know you can unlock them, but you then either need a PAL - NTSC converter or a multi system TV or is that not so?

You can also buy for about $60 a multi region DVD player with the converter built in, so why bother hacking some cheap low quality player from Wal-Mart.
Cyberhome 300 - $35 bucks - PAL and NTSC - dual voltage the works - cheap but quality is fine unless you are an AV fan who has high end kit you will be fine with this.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Cyberhome 300 - $35 bucks - PAL and NTSC - dual voltage the works - cheap but quality is fine unless you are an AV fan who has high end kit you will be fine with this.
That's the one I've had for 5 years (actually it's a 350). They're often on sale for 20 bucks.