Reload this Page >

Moving to NY

Moving to NY

Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

RJWGoBulls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to NY

Hi

New to the website so apologies if asking questions that have been asked before.

In a couple of weeks time I will be moving to New York on an L1B visa to work in the city for a minimum of 18 months.

I was wondering if someone could advise on the following questions to help things along the way!

What would be my take home pay on a salary of around 70k? I cannot find a definitive tax calculator anywhere! they also don't seem to include all the hidden tax's. So if someone could advise then then that would help with budgeting!

How easy is it to find places to rent?

Getting stuff shipped out...what should I get sent? Is it worth shipping TV's and computers? Also my dvd collection, are they worth taking? can dvd players be bought that will play PAL region 2?

Thats all for now....but I am sure there will be more!

Thanks guys
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NY

Originally Posted by RJWGoBulls
Hi

New to the website so apologies if asking questions that have been asked before.

In a couple of weeks time I will be moving to New York on an L1B visa to work in the city for a minimum of 18 months.

I was wondering if someone could advise on the following questions to help things along the way!

What would be my take home pay on a salary of around 70k? I cannot find a definitive tax calculator anywhere! they also don't seem to include all the hidden tax's. So if someone could advise then then that would help with budgeting!

Getting stuff shipped out...what should I get sent? Is it worth shipping TV's and computers? Also my dvd collection, are they worth taking? can dvd players be bought that will play PAL region 2?

Thanks guys
I would suggest looking at the NY state government's website about income tax. There may be a tax calculator there.

If you're coming over on an L visa, why don't you ask the HR dept in the NY branch? Staff there should be familiar with income tax and at least point you to websites or resources to answer your questions.

As for places to live, please search in this and the Trailer Park about for similar threads.

Unless your personal effects are getting sent by air to you, you haven't given yourself enough time to ship your stuff.

Anyway, as before, search for past threads on what's worth bringing over. Ditto for playing Region 2 DVDs.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 6:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RJWGoBulls
Hi

Thanks guys
Multi region TVs and DVDs are a bit of a specialty over here. Duel NTSC/PAL is not the normal as it is in the UK.

You can get the equipment, certainly online, and I would image in NY there would be stores selling it, but you are not going to walk into your average high street store and buy it. Region 2 DVDs will not play on a standard US purchased DVD player they are not multi region, you will get a Region error and they are in PAL format.

As an idea to what is available look at http://www.world-import.com

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 18th 2007 at 6:27 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 6:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Multi region TVs and DVDs are a bit of a specialty over here. Duel NTSC/PAL is not the normal as it is in the UK.

You can get the equipment, certainly online, and I would image in NY there would be stores selling it, but you are not going to walk into your average high street store and buy it. Region 2 DVDs will not play on a standard US purchased DVD player they are not multi region, you will get a Region error and they are in PAL format.

As an idea to what is available look at http://www.world-import.com

You can buy a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart and hack it to play any region and NTSC/PAL. Do a search and you'll find several threads on the topic and which brands and models.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You can buy a cheap DVD player at Wal-Mart and hack it to play any region and NTSC/PAL. Do a search and you'll find several threads on the topic and which brands and models.
Yes I know you can unlock them, but you then either need a PAL - NTSC converter or a multi system TV or is that not so?

You can also buy for about $60 a multi region DVD player with the converter built in, so why bother hacking some cheap low quality player from Wal-Mart.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know you can unlock them, but you then either need a PAL - NTSC converter or a multi system TV or is that not so?
No.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No.
Would you care to elaborate on that, because my unlocked US DVD player will not play PAL DVDs on my US plasma screen.

My multi region DVD player with a built in converter will.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:28 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to elaborate on that, because my unlocked US DVD player will not play PAL DVDs on my US plasma screen.

My multi region DVD player with a built in converter will.
What model is your US DVD player? Yes, there has to be a mechanism to decode the PAL signal and turn it into an NTSC signal, but this is present in most players that can be hacked to turn off region-specificity.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You can also buy for about $60 a multi region DVD player with the converter built in, so why bother hacking some cheap low quality player from Wal-Mart.
- because it's cheaper. Why pay $60 when you can pay $20? Mine is still going after 5 years. Not bad for a $20 DVD player I'd say. And no, you don't need a PAL-NTSC converter. Mine worked on my US TV with UK and US DVDs and currently is playing DVDs on my UK TV.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 7:54 pm

What model is your US DVD player? Yes, there has to be a mechanism to decode the PAL signal and turn it into an NTSC signal, but this is present in most players that can be hacked to turn off region-specificity.
Toshiba not sure what model as it is now in the attic. It worked ok on a Sony PAL/NTSC TV but not on Pioneer NTSC only.

I appreciate the info about the mechanism already being in most hackable players, useful to know something like that.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:03 pm
Lapine Member

Toshiba not sure what model as it is now in the attic. It worked ok on a Sony PAL/NTSC TV but not on Pioneer NTSC only.

I appreciate the info about the mechanism already being in most hackable players, useful to know something like that.
For whatever reason (I'm feeling too lazy to research it!) it's far easier and therefore cheaper to convert the PAL signal from a DVD to NTSC....or else possibly both signals are there (put there by the manufacturer?). If you look at PAL->NTSC VHS players, they are far far more expensive.

If someone cares to explain I'd love it!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
- because it's cheaper. Why pay $60 when you can pay $20? Mine is still going after 5 years. Not bad for a $20 DVD player I'd say. And no, you don't need a PAL-NTSC converter. Mine worked on my US TV with UK and US DVDs and currently is playing DVDs on my UK TV.

As I've said elsewhere my unlocked DVD didn't work so not all DVDs are equal. Some obviously are more equal than others. I did assume, usually a mistake to do such, that my DVD was the same as any other hackable DVD but I know now this is wrong so I glad I answered the OP question in the way I did as it has given me the opportunity to learn from it. It also shows that your answer needs qualifying as it seems it doesn't hold for 100% of what's out there.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome.

It doesn't sound as though your company have given you much help - might be worth checking with them. you will need to sort out somewhere to stay.

If you are staying for a limited time I would be inclined to leave stuff like DVDs behind. You could just join Netflix or come on here for entertainment!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:10 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Sally

If you are staying for a limited time I would be inclined to leave stuff like DVDs behind. You could just join Netflix or come on here for entertainment!

If s/he is into video enough to hack a player .... leaving the discs behind is Not An Option.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

If s/he is into video enough to hack a player .... leaving the discs behind is Not An Option.
I seldom re-watch DVDs I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.