Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Montana? Trucker Options

Moving to Montana? Trucker Options

Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Location: Colchester, U.K. heading towards sunny Saskatoon.....
demontrucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Montana? Trucker Options

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Balls or stupidity?!? I have two children and there's no way I'd go via an E-2 for that very reason, even if it was my only option (which luckily for us it isn't).

The majority of people on here are either already in the US or who are going through the process, so everybody on here has 'the balls to do it in real life' - and most already have.
Hi everyone, this seems a very lively if somewhat 'off-track' debate. I have been a member of this great site for a little while now,and i have finally reached a position here in the UK where i am ready,willing and keen to move to the U.S., Montana in particular. Im a 37 year old electrician,also have a UK hgv license,but i have no family or connections in the U.S. and i'm by no means a millionaire.
I have tried sifting through all the helpful (and objective) posts/threads on here but all i seem to do is get more and more confused,is there a somewhat simplified explanation anyone could offer as to visa type and green card chances for my situation? Also, are there any reputable immigration attorneys anyone could recommend?(if indeed they are necessary?). I know this will take the thread off topic but i was hoping to diffuse what appears to be a non-constructive bravado display....
many thanks everyone
Craig
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is there a way to green card through E-2 ?

Originally Posted by demontrucker
Hi everyone, this seems a very lively if somewhat 'off-track' debate. I have been a member of this great site for a little while now,and i have finally reached a position here in the UK where i am ready,willing and keen to move to the U.S., Montana in particular. Im a 37 year old electrician,also have a UK hgv license,but i have no family or connections in the U.S. and i'm by no means a millionaire.
I have tried sifting through all the helpful (and objective) posts/threads on here but all i seem to do is get more and more confused,is there a somewhat simplified explanation anyone could offer as to visa type and green card chances for my situation? Also, are there any reputable immigration attorneys anyone could recommend?(if indeed they are necessary?). I know this will take the thread off topic but i was hoping to diffuse what appears to be a non-constructive bravado display....
many thanks everyone
Craig
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks everyone
Craig
Hi Craig and welcome. You need to read the following link and see which visa you think you might be eligible for (sorry to say I doubt any based on what you've told us so far but hope I'm wrong).................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If any of those fit then come back and ask questions about the specific route you are considering. If they don't then have you considered another country, Canada would be a much easier option for you as an electrician? And is only over the border from Montana!

Best of luck.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Location: Colchester, U.K. heading towards sunny Saskatoon.....
demontrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the response,will go have a look now. Yeah i had originally considered Canada and Australia, but Oz certainly isn't all its cracked up to be after looking into it thoroughly. Also i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spiders etc so that ruled out quite a lot of Oz. I have a couple of leads for canada as a HGV driver,and the companies pay for much of the relocation costs, even to being met at the airport, given the use of a car for two weeks and a b'n'b and your flight costs refunded.Just not sure i want to be out on the road for upto 20 days at a time, altho it is driving to 48 of the states in the U.S. so i would certainly get to see a lot of america. This was based in saskatoon, and it does seem to get very very cold there in the winter hehe.House prices are excellent though! It was after a ranching holiday in Montana that i fell in love with the place,the tranquility and scenery is just breathtaking,not to mention the friendliness of locals or the utility trucks hehe.
The ranch owner has said if i manage to get to the U.S. theres work on the ranch for me too which was nice.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The ranch owner has said if i manage to get to the U.S. theres work on the ranch for me too which was nice.

All the trucker on this site that I know of got here by marrying a
US citizen... there is certainly no work visa possible thru that type of work ..
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving to Montana? Trucker Options?

I moved the posts regarding the this topic into a new thread to get answers as the one originally posted in was closed, because of some tosspot.

As already mentioned though, it's not looking likely, unless there's something we don't know about, but the link in the wiki to the possible ways in is a good starting point for any other questions.

Goodluck and welcome to BE.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Montana = Saskabush they are interchangable in regards to weather. You don't have much, if any option, as a truck driver to get a work visa in the US. You best bet is to try to Canada. As you said, they pay a lot of your expenses, you can get your residency in Canada a lot easier than in the US and in your travels through the US you might meet up with the lady of your dreams and get married have a legal way into the US.

Good luck to you.

P.S. I'm married to a Canuck and he has lived many years in the Saskabush area/Cold Lake.

thanks for the response,will go have a look now. Yeah i had originally considered Canada and Australia, but Oz certainly isn't all its cracked up to be after looking into it thoroughly. Also i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spiders etc so that ruled out quite a lot of Oz. I have a couple of leads for canada as a HGV driver,and the companies pay for much of the relocation costs, even to being met at the airport, given the use of a car for two weeks and a b'n'b and your flight costs refunded.Just not sure i want to be out on the road for upto 20 days at a time, altho it is driving to 48 of the states in the U.S. so i would certainly get to see a lot of america. This was based in saskatoon, and it does seem to get very very cold there in the winter hehe.House prices are excellent though! It was after a ranching holiday in Montana that i fell in love with the place,the tranquility and scenery is just breathtaking,not to mention the friendliness of locals or the utility trucks hehe.