Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Money from UK to US

Moving Money from UK to US

Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Merkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant futureMerkur has a brilliant future
Default Moving Money from UK to US

I looked into this several years ago, but wonder whether given the increase in Internet banking and more global nature of banking, whether the answer is the same.

I wish to move money from an account in England to the US. The options I see are:
1) Work through my bank in the UK, which now has branches in the US. This may mean opening an account in the US and transferring from my UK account to the US acount.
2) Transfer directly from the UK bank to my US bank (Different banks)
3) Work through XE Trade or Forex

Are their other options?

Can someone summarize what the best approach is? What is the cheapest way in terms of bank fees etc? Any pros or cons of the different approaches?

Paul
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Money from UK to US

yeah, there are other options, but XE.com and ukforex are your best bets.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

You can open a jersey or Isle of Man bank account. You can then convert your funds I believe free of charge into US dollars. You could then apply for a visa credit card or a visa debit card in the UK which you can use in the USA anywhere with no problems at all and when you get your monthly bill you pay it from your jersey or Isle of Man bank account.
That way you will only bring money into USA as and when you need it
The money residing in your jersey or Isle of Man bank account would not be liable for British taxes but if you become an American resident the interest earned in an account may well be liable for American taxes.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, there are other options, but XE.com and ukforex are your best bets.
Yep.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

EddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really niceEddieIp is just really nice

XE.com is the option I went for....

Reason being is I can move any amount providing it doesn't exceed the cap given to my XE account and they charge a flat fee of £12.50 per transaction regardless of amount. Actually bought a transaction today at $1.46 - £1.

Another option is you can use your UK Visa Debit card in the US bank and ask the teller to charge your UK card to your US chequing account, but the rates from (at least from Wells Fargo) the banks are really low.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookem
You can open a jersey or Isle of Man bank account. You can then convert your funds I believe free of charge into US dollars. You could then apply for a visa credit card or a visa debit card in the UK which you can use in the USA anywhere with no problems at all and when you get your monthly bill you pay it from your jersey or Isle of Man bank account.
That way you will only bring money into USA as and when you need it
The money residing in your jersey or Isle of Man bank account would not be liable for British taxes but if you become an American resident the interest earned in an account may well be liable for American taxes.
Are you suggesting getting a U.S. Dollar account from a UK bank (and held at a branch in Jersey or IOM?) If so, this was something I looked at quickly once and the fees were terrible and would have negated any benefit. This was 5+ years ago now and things could have changed though.

OP - My vote is with XE too - I've used them loads and got good deals.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

RobertG is an unknown quantity at this point

I use HIFX.com or now currencyonline.com to move funds. Straightforward.
Recently I've used Xoom.com to move funds from US to UK. That's really quick and cheap. They usually take an extra cent on USD to GBP transfers though.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:06 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

I am a long-term HSBC client and their service was excellent; US accounts opened in the UK, no charges and I can view all accounts on one screen and move funds between them.